• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Don't chase naked people in Michigan

Opie

imported post

From Fox News:

Naked Suitor Threatened at Gunpoint in Michigan Neighborhood

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,199610,00.html

The short version: A man trying to convince his girlfriend to marry him streaked across the street. A passerby noticed the naked man in the bushes outside a house, ordered him out at gunpoint, and apparently fired a round when the naked man attempted to flee. The passerby successfully held the streaker at gunpoint until the police arrived, who then arrested the passerby and did not charge the streaker.

It's hard to fault the passerby for trying to stop what most people would consider a peeping tom (or worse)! Possibly he shouldn't have fired when the streaker attempted to flee. -Opie

molonlabetn

imported post

It was pretty stupid to shoot at the naked guy... COME ON! How much more obviously unarmed can somebody get?!

Assuming that there is nothing else to the story, I hope they throw the book at the guy who discharged his firearm... That was simply irresponsible. It's people like that who's actionsgive ammunition to those who accuse all gun-owners of being trigger-happy lunatics.

molonlabetn

VAopencarry

imported post

The shooter is an idiot. One needs to be 100% sure of a situation before pulling a gun and the trigger. heck the 'streaker' could have just been the victim of a robbery or rape or something, who knows, you can't just shoot the guy. damn!!

That guy would have killed a lot people in the 70's with that mindset.....:shock:

apjonas

imported post

It really doesn't matter what he was (not) wearing. If the individual was fleeing there was no justification for using deadly force.

molonlabetn wrote:
It was pretty stupid to shoot at the naked guy... COME ON! How much more obviously unarmed can somebody get?!

Assuming that there is nothing else to the story, I hope they throw the book at the guy who discharged his firearm... That was simply irresponsible. It's people like that who's actionsgive ammunition to those who accuse all gun-owners of being trigger-happy lunatics.

molonlabetn

whiskeypapa

imported post

If he's naked and running away from me, heck even if hes not naked and just running away from me not only am I not going to shoot, I'm not even going to chase him.:?

GlockEm

imported post

whiskeypapa wrote:
If he's naked and running away from me, heck even if hes not naked and just running away from me not only am I not going to shoot, I'm not even going to chase him.:?
I with you, whiskeypapa. Once he's running away, it's obvious any immediate danger he might have posed is abated. What an idiot this guy is for firing! This plays into anti-gunners' hands when they say things equating carrying a firearem to "the wild west."

cs9c1

imported post

Going by the reports only, the man who shot at the naked man should be charged. I can see how he may have thought he was pursuing a rapist. But if the guy was running away the danger was over and deadly force seem extreme to say the least. Shooting like this give the anti-gun lobbyist way too much ammo (no pun intended) against the 2nd amendment. I could not imagine how I would have felt had I killed someone who was just participating in a dare. Not a smart dare, but still generally harmless.

Opie

imported post

I found an article today with more information about the man with the gun. When the police arrested him, he said that he was an Army drill sargeant.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ct/20060616/cr_ct/fakedrillsergeantchasesrealnakedman;_ylt=AiosH5UnJ5VTM2n5xhXaPzBvzwcF

"The alleged gunman does not appear to be in the Army and also has no permit to carry his .40-caliber gun, Sheikh said. Police said there was no explanation as to why he was armed and why he claimed to be a drill sergeant. He was arrested and held at the county jail on charges of aggravated assault and carrying a concealed weapon."

ilbob

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Opie wrote:
I found an article today with more information about the man with the gun. When the police arrested him, he said that he was an Army drill sargeant.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ct/20060616/cr_ct/fakedrillsergeantchasesrealnakedman;_ylt=AiosH5UnJ5VTM2n5xhXaPzBvzwcF

"The alleged gunman does not appear to be in the Army and also has no permit to carry his .40-caliber gun, Sheikh said. Police said there was no explanation as to why he was armed and why he claimed to be a drill sergeant. He was arrested and held at the county jail on charges of aggravated assault and carrying a concealed weapon."

But why didn't they charge the naked guy with anything?

Maybe they felt the embarrassment was enough punishment.

panic215

imported post

"But officer...I felt threatened. He was brandishing a piss-tol." :lol:

In all seriousness, the passerby should be punished accordingly. There was no sense in discharging his weapon. Unless we missed something, the passerby was obviously not in danger.

HPmatt

So the naked guy, who was 'open carrying' was not arrested, but the armed guy, who was carrying w/o a permit (is one required in MI?) open/concealed, was arrested - for an illegal discharge?

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
"But officer...I felt threatened. He was brandishing a piss-tol." :lol:

In all seriousness, the passerby should be punished accordingly. There was no sense in discharging his weapon. Unless we missed something, the passerby was obviously not in danger.
Oh, the passerby was in danger of the streaker going to wee wee all the way home.

Last edited:

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
It's hard to fault the passerby for trying to stop what most people would consider a peeping tom (or worse)!

Is it, really?

I'm trying really hard to imagine what act of aggression is possibly constituted by being naked in a bush.

Edit: Thanks for making me necropost, guys.

Last edited:

Gallowmere

Is it, really?

I'm trying really hard to imagine what act of aggression is possibly constituted by being naked in a bush.

I can't imagine any, unless one's delicate sensibilities being assaulted qualifies.

Hell, so far as I am concerned, people should be allowed to OC, whilst naked of anything other than a proper belt and holster.

davidmcbeth

Banned
Is it, really?

I'm trying hard to find out if his GF was impressed....or not. Sounds like a screenplay for Love American Style (red, white, and blu-u-u-u)

Last edited:

1245A Defender

Well,,,

Just because the only tool you have is a hammer doesn't make every thing a nail.

I just gotta agree with you here,
A gun aint a hammer,,, and all the problems aint a nail!

Shootin naked people aut to be again the law,,, aint their one?
Did he have salt in that shotgun?
See then itd be OK...

Over all,,, we all know,,, if the guy is running away,,, You really shouldnt shoot him in the back!

Im not sure their is a law against that, But

That style of defense has been "frowned" on since,,,, FOREVER!!!!

willy1094

This guy shouldn't have drawn his weapon much less shoot at someone. Sounds to me like someone was trying to play cops and robbers.