• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Silencer for your carry gun

kwikrnu

Banned
There has got to be a few people out here that have a suppressor for their handgun.
If you're involved in a self defense shooting a can is an essential safety precaution.

Ruger .454

I don't see how a silencer can be deemed "essential." The firearm is essential. The ammunition is essential. The ability to use the firearm is essential. Anything else is less than essential.

Further, unless you were in your own home I would think that a DA in a criminal case or a defense attorney in a civil case might be able to convince a jury of a number of things that the user of a silencer would find inconvenient at best. That's their job and they are professionals. They could argue that ownership and indeed use of a silencer reveals that you're antisocial, spoiling for a fight, a would-be Rambo, etc.

Perhaps you might develop your thesis a bit...

kwikrnu

Banned
If the technology exists to protect my hearing and the hearing of others why not take advantage of it?

Can a person who shot another in self defense be held liable for damage to the hearing of bystanders? I say that the shooter can be held liable.

elixin77

I can see where your coming from kwik (as i do in all your other posts), but don't you have to inform the ATF if you so much as lift it up to dust underneath it? WOuld be a hassle to let them know everytime you step out your door.

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
I think if one needs to defend against a potentially deadly threat, considerations such as possible hearing damage take a seat very far back in the bus.

From a tactical standpoint, the extra length and weight of a "silencer" and the consequent decrease in mobility of the firearm would more than negate any benefits of having one. I'll take a gun that I can draw and maneuver quickly over a quieter gun in any probable situation.

From a legal standpoint, given the stigma attached to those evil silencers in the minds of the American public, good luck getting a sympathetic jury if you happen to shoot another person with a silencer-equipped firearm. At least with your better hearing you'll be able to hear a pin drop in your jail cell!

kwikrnu

Banned
From a tactical standpoint, the extra length and weight of a "silencer" and the consequent decrease in mobility of the firearm would more than negate any benefits of having one. I'll take a gun that I can draw and maneuver quickly over a quieter gun in any probable situation.

You can get cheap little aluminum cans. For example a poseidon for a g26, barrel, and the tax would be around $1200.

I'm thinking a QMF for my G36.

Last edited:

kwikrnu

Banned
I think if one needs to defend against a potentially deadly threat, considerations such as possible hearing damage take a seat very far back in the bus.

Hearingl oss doesn't get better.

So what if you're in your car with your family and a BG tries to confiscate the car. You're in fear for your life. Do you damage your children's hearing for the rest of their lives? Common sense would say no. Buy a silencer for the children's sake.

buster81

The OP isn't really a question, but if it were, then yes you should get a silencer and put it on your carry gun.

IANAL and this is not advice.

Last edited:

kwikrnu

Banned
Right. It saves lives. Dead people don't hear very well.

Your argument is that only proficient shooters should have a suppressor?

What if the carry weapon was a p22? Ammo is extremely cheap. At what point could one purchase a silencer?

Last edited:

KRM59

There has got to be a few people out here that have a suppressor for their handgun.
If you're involved in a self defense shooting a can is an essential safety precaution.

just found this for your state...
Code Section 39-17-1301, et seq.

Illegal Arms. Machine gun; short-barreled rifle or shotgun; silencer; explosive weapon; device designed, made or adapted for delivering or shooting an explosive weapon

erb

Suppressors are illegal, here in Michigan. I would love to get my hands on one...

I am somewhat surprised more criminals don't use them... although, no one sees anywhere here I live so what's the point.

Anyways, I would not carry a suppressor because of the length - I see it being cumbersome and in the way. Too many negatives and not near enough positives.

*Oh, on second thought - that would be ideal in a closed environment! Have you ever not had your ears on a the indoor range? Ouch!

KRM59

If this is correct then having a surpressor is a mute ( ok moot like mine better lol ) point. but who knows.

Last edited:
M

McX

i'd sure like to know the poop on these silencers. permit? from the fed? only good for one gun? how long is it valid? hard to get?