• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

My New Smartphone

What kind of smartphone do you have?

• iPhone

Votes: 10 30.3%
  • Android Based

Votes: 17 51.5%
  • Blackberry

Votes: 2 6.1%
  • Windows Mobile Based

Votes: 3 9.1%
  • Other

Votes: 1 3.0%

• Total voters

John Pierce

Administrator
Staff member
I just sold my iPhone 3G on eBay and bought the Samsung Captivate. Wow! What a sweet phone!

I know what some of you are thinking ... "Why didn't you get the iPhone 4?"

The short answer is that I wanted an Android phone because a friend and I have a startup company developing Android software and I felt it would help to use the phone on a daily basis. In the very near future, we will be releasing a guitar chord trainer app (written by my friend) and an adventure game called Monkeys of Doom (written by yours truly). :)

I am curious what smartphone others use?

John

daddy4count

I have a motorola cliq from T-mobile... LOVE my Android phone

I dig Android... but maybe I am biased because I believe in open source programming as strongly as 2A rights. So the idea of a manufacturer deciding for me what I can and cannot load onto a piece of hardware does not sit well with me.

I prefer the mental nirvana that results from an open programming environment.

I am a PC. But I don't do Windows(R)

;)

Tawnos

Windows Phone 7. I got to play with it at MSFT product fair a couple weeks ago, and it was awesome. Plus, they're giving each of us one for free...

Jack House

I have a Samsung Instinct. I love it, I mean really LOVE it. I don't use it as a phone though, but rather I use it as an MP4 player.

I need to get a phone, and I want an HTC Evo. But I am worried about the battery life. I heard it sucks. How it compares to my phone? I have no idea. My phone can play about 1.5-2 hours of video without needing to be plugged in. When I buy a new phone, I need it to have atleast that much battery power as well as the ability to change the battery.

Electronics with built in batteries are a huge pet peeve of mine. I believe all electronics should have easily replaced batteries. Especially things like phones. In my case, I am often times away from a charger for 10-12 hours a day. And I listen to my music for most of that time. If I had an iPhone and I ran out of batteries, I'd be SoL. But with my instinct I can very easily keep a spare battery with me just in case.

Hef

I have a Blackberry Curve 8330 from Sprint that I bought last year. I like the trackball and buttons instead of the touchscreen because it's more durable, which I need in my business (construction). I keep it in an Otter Box and use a bluetooth earpiece while driving or walking job sites. It's very durable and reliable, and from what I've read RIM's OS is very secure.

I use my Blackberry for my personal and business email accounts, tracking my billable hours with a $4 app called miTimesheet, web browsing with Bolt and Opera Mini, finding my way with MapQuest 4 Mobile, and managing my accounts with Personal Assistant.

I am very happy with my Blackberry.

Jack House

I have a Blackberry Curve 8330 from Sprint that I bought last year. I like the trackball and buttons instead of the touchscreen because it's more durable, which I need in my business (construction). I keep it in an Otter Box and use a bluetooth earpiece while driving or walking job sites. It's very durable and reliable, and from what I've read RIM's OS is very secure.

I use my Blackberry for my personal and business email accounts, tracking my billable hours with a $4 app called miTimesheet, web browsing with Bolt and Opera Mini, finding my way with MapQuest 4 Mobile, and managing my accounts with Personal Assistant.

I am very happy with my Blackberry.
My mother has an ObamaBerry, I mean BlackBerry. It's alright, I still prefer my Instinct because of the bigger, touch sensitive screen.

Brass Magnet

Founder's Club Member
Maybe some cheap phone. I have an iPhone and it is very durable.

I think the key is capacative (android, iPhone) vs. reisitive touch screens. Capacitive is waayyyyyyy better

I use a Motorola Droid currently. After having it for a few weeks I sold my jailbroken and hacked ipod touch. I've always hated being tied to itunes. I appreciate the fact that I can use my Droid essentially as a jump drive.

The Droid is the best phone I've owned; hands down. Just waiting on the OTA update to 2.2 and flash!

John, there is a really good guitar chord app out there right now that I use; may want to check it out. I think it's one of those things that if there is already a good one, may be hard to break in on. Solo Lite is the one I've got.

M

McX

i got a phone, one of those pay as you go's. it ain't got no steenkin camera, it ain't got no steenkin windows, it ain't got no keyboard, it's just a phone, new concept huh?

Tess

Founder's Club Member
Samsung Moment

I have the Samsung Moment and really like it. I do wish the battery lasted longer, but I'm still finding things I can turn off.

Jack House

i got a phone, one of those pay as you go's. it ain't got no steenkin camera, it ain't got no steenkin windows, it ain't got no keyboard, it's just a phone, new concept huh?
I only need a phone so that if work decides to call me for whatever reason they can get ahold of me. Other than that, phones are wholly useless for me. Might as well get one that I can use for other things too so that I don't have to carry a million gadgets with me.