• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Madison PD detains and cites OCers tonight.

The Don

There are larger window clings listed on the WCI website and I remember selling some small ones at the West Salem picnic. I am sure bnhcomputing probably has some left.

I saw some on the site, I guess, but I assumed they were bumper stickers from the way they looked. In retrospect, they were on a window, so I guess I should have known.

I think someone said WCI is going to have a table at the picnic in Baraboo this weekend, I'll check them out then.

Thanks for the info.

TyGuy

Great thanks. I don't go there anymore since the forum link just sends me here.

Hats would be great.

Is there a link to the interview from this morning?

Gunslinger

I agree. If we have a case our attorneys think we have a reasonable chance of winning, we will sue. My preliminary conversations with our attorney indicate that he does believe we have a case we can win BUT our attorney is a very calculating and deliberate person. He wants to see the police report and have all the information before he gives us a final legal opinion. I never want to "guarantee" a lawsuit until I get that final "yes" from him.

Also, for anyone interested I am scheduled to do a radio interview with Vicki McKenna on WIBA out of Madison this afternoon during the evening drive at 5pm to discuss this incident.

listen online at:
http://www.wiba.com/main.html

WIBA Newstalk 1310 AM Madison, WI

Prudent attorneys are the best kind. I wish you guys the BEST of luck in this. Thanks for fighting the good fight in WI. Even we in free states can appreciate the effort.

mearlus

Hey all,

I've been lurking ever since the MSN incident occurred.

I just wanted to chime in and thank those who are standing up for our rights.

I was prompted to create an account by the outrage I'm feeling at what the MSN PD just released w/ an update on the charges. I haven't seen it posted yet so here is the link:

http://www.cityofmadison.com/news/view.cfm?news_id=2231##

From what I read of this if someone makes you feel uneasy you can call the cops and the cops will issue a Disorderly Conduct ticket to you!

I'll have to remember that when we got shopping at our malls and see a group of 'questionable' young men gathered together.

Gunslinger

It When it comes down to it they will say more about officer safety and saftey of others. There isn't a law but I have friends that are police officers and hate the idea of OC and basically said that they will take my weapon away even though they know me for "safety".

If most cops were concerned about "officer safety" they'd turn in their guns as the vast majority couldn't hit the broadside of a barn. If officer safety is a valid concern, maybe they should hire cops who have balls, not over inflated egos.

MatieA

Hey all,

I was prompted to create an account by the outrage I'm feeling at what the MSN PD just released w/ an update on the charges. I haven't seen it posted yet so here is the link:

From what I read of this if someone makes you feel uneasy you can call the cops and the cops will issue a Disorderly Conduct ticket to you!

I'll have to remember that when we got shopping at our malls and see a group of 'questionable' young men gathered together.

All I can say is WOW!!
Really, am I reading this correctly that he is telling his officers to find a charge ANY charge to use against open carriers, or am I just being too sensitive and reading between the lines?

M

McX

i would comment, but the mod would definitely delete me for cop bashing. see you in court bihatch! bring money, at $90 an hour for my time to go to madison your bill is going to be costly.

Spartacus

Banned
Someone asked me to elucidate my last post so from my experience of having successfully defended myself in court on self-defense handgun related charges I will give you guys the best advice I can...

Shut the hell up!

Anything you say about your case may be brought up in trial whether it is a statement to a reporter or a post here such as "yah we are gonna teach the Madison PD a lesson" or any talk about getting money damages. It may be too late, but go back over your posts and edit out any details that could come back to haunt you.. I didn't check the whole thread and there may be nothing here but its worth your while to edit or delete any such comments.

Don't talk much about it to friends or family either. Nobody is beyond a subpoena. Anything you say can be used to diminish your testimony in court which may affect the outcome and damages amount.

For example if you are overheard bragging to a buddy, "it was a piece of cake... I didn't even break a sweat while the cops were arresting me.", you can hardly claim to have suffered any emotional upset when testifying on the stand. Damages may be awarded purely on the merits of LE's misconduct that night or the judge may take pain and suffering into account if you find that you are nervous about the police now and are having nightmares, etc.

As much as I respect law enforcement, nobody lies like a cop and if they see a chink in your armor they will exploit it.

Last edited:

Rich B

Holy cow. The Madison Police just upped the ante. This is clearly a Chief who has a problem with your second amendment rights, to the point where he is willing to put clearly anti-2A language in a press release.

Go get 'em boys!

protias

Hey all,

It has been posted here: http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...-tickets-D-O-C-tickets-to-all-5-Culvers-OCers!!

And welcome to the site.

Gunslinger

Hey all,

Gruppenfuhrer Wray is a real pos. He decides what the law is. **** him.

Interceptor_Knight

But thats exactly what I'm talking about, my right to bear arms shall not be infringed, if i'm going to disarm, he should disarm, we can just trade weapons and talk it out. Why am I any more dangerous than a Cop? obvious answers to that question but if i'm just a law abiding citizen, why should he disarm me for his safety? I don't want to be the only one not armed, the government disarming you is the whole reason the amendment exists so I'm not understanding why they can disarm anybody, from a technical standpoint
We are law abiding citizens, not extremists. The law allows for an officer to disarm you while you are being detained. Your obligation is to comply and then file a complaint or suit afterwards. Any time we interact with others while we are carrying, we need to hold ourselves to a very high standard of conduct to the point of being passive if need be.

Interceptor_Knight

Could somebody please inform me what right the officers have to disarm anyone legally open carrying? is there a statute? are they allowed to check the weapon? why is this ok? if I make a mistake during open carry, i could carry in a school zone for example, that mistake would be a crime, why is that when law enforcement make mistakes an infringe on peoples rights it's just overlooked or ok? I think there should be so many lawsuits that LEOs really question their own actions and think before acting, that would be fair and ideal.
Because the courts say they can. Comply and file a suit if you wish, but we are law abiding citizens and the public NEEDS to view us in this light unless we want them to turn against us.

anmut

"A person who refuses to provide identification should not be arrested for obstructing; however, if probable cause for another offense exists the suspect should be arrested for that offense and can then be identified during the citation or booking process."

WHAT THE F*CK? Are they kidding me? That sounds like a clear ORDER to violate constitutional rights. This needs national media attention RIGHT NOW.

ARADCOM

Unbelievable

There is always the possibility that the DA will throw it out.

I find that press release quite shocking. But, I also think that the police would have probably run it past their lawyers (the DA?) before releasing it.

Surely the police chief wouldn't put himself in a position of having his officers arresting people if the DA was going to be declining their prosecution.