• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Captcha

Tomas

First time I ran into needing to fill out a CAPCHA pane to post a reply was this evening at 1719 PST. It really is a PITA.

Haven't run into it since, so very possibly I got in just before John's removal of that requirement took effect.

(On my forums I generally set a 30 second or 60 second enforced time between searches.)

BTW, when I made my CAPCHA required reply, not only did it require a CAPCHA, the quote, which should have been just of a single post, was a half dozen posts or so that I had to edit out...

Weird. :shocker:

eye95

Ouch! I didn't realize the captcha was for posting as well. I have fixed that. Let me know if it worked.

John

Thanks, I was wondering if you had really meant to do that. It's OK. You're busy. Especially if malicious folks are trying to damage the site.

Thanks for all you do.

eye95

They aren't a big deal. So I had to type in "commanded dicychs" to reply... I may never recover! Who do I sue? I had my recorder on and caught the whole thing...

For those with better eyesight than me, it is no big problem. It usually takes me two or three attempts to get the captcha right.

But, John did not intend to put it on posting and has (bless him) removed it. I will not mind having to type a captcha when I search.

CharleyMarbles

LOL I was thinking it was on my end with all the database errors . Apperently we have a few admirer's ROTFL :)

Good to know our host is on the stick in reguards to it though Thanx Boss for doing a good job of it :)

since9

Campaign Veteran
Not a fan of it either. I hope they can consider other means to protect the form

It's actually quite effective against spam which automatically registers itself (yes, including the e-mail confirmation) before using the search feature to target it's spam posts. That will most certainly bog down most forum's databases, particularly with several such spam accounts being created every day!

As for users using the search feature, I'm not sure what for, as I'm a big fan of it, yet use it between zero and a few times per day. I might average once, perhaps twice, with the searches taking less than a second.

I'd think it would take a lot of users doing a lot of searches to bring it down.

M

McX

what's a captcha? then again, i'm still trying to figure out what a wang chung is........

since9

Campaign Veteran
what's a captcha? then again, i'm still trying to figure out what a wang chung is........

It's the prompt one gets to enter certain letters, always required for registration, and often required whenever the admin deems necessary, such as to prevent automated database searches.

MKEgal

Administrator said:
Glad to help! Now if I can just figure out why the database goes nuts every few hours.

Ummm, it needs higher or more frequent doses of drugs?
At least, that's what my shrink says when I'm having problems... ;)