• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

GOP wants to cut funds for homeless vets

eye95

Cut it.

Let the States choose whether to tax their residents to provide such services. That empowers the people to make the choice to leave States that spend and "help" too much, or to remain in States that tax and spend to their liking.

Take a giant axe to social spending and taxes.

zack991

Cut it.

Let the States choose whether to tax their residents to provide such services. That empowers the people to make the choice to leave States that spend and "help" too much, or to remain in States that tax and spend to their liking.

Take a giant axe to social spending and taxes.

Agreed, I am for all helping my fellow vets but we have our VFW's/ family that can help us as well and not just the tax payers. I working three minimum wage jobs that I have not done since HS but it feeds my family and I am lucky to even find these jobs.
-combat vet

Last edited:

Bookman

Campaign Veteran
Winston Salem, North Carolina, United States
I have some experience in this area.

I've worked with homeless veterans and can tell you that this could be a major problem. Sure, the housing vouchers come from the city or the county, but where do you think the city/county gets the money? That's right. It's federal dollars that keep these programs afloat. Without the federal money the vouchers dry up and those who need them do without. This, while not a tragedy of epic proportions, is still a sad state of affairs.

ON THE OTHER HAND, as some who has been homeless, I can tell you unequivocally that's almost always the fault of the vet that he/she is homeless in the first place. It's largely the choices we make that take us where we go in life. Alcohol and drug abuse re primary factors in the lives of the vast majority of homeless vets. In most cases, it's a matter of personal responsibility and the government shouldn't have to the ones who fall into this category.

There are some, however, who are homeless through no fault of their own. They either got caught by the bad economy or have physical. mental or emotional problems, mostly stemming from their time in service. THESE are the ones we should concentrate on. They've sacrificed for their country and are suffering for it. They need and deserve our help.

If a competent screening program could be established through the VA to determine which vets fall into which category a LOT of money could be saved even with a reduced program.

eye95

One of the ways the federal government has been usurping power it was never intended to have is by taxing individuals and then doling the money out to the State and local governments--usually with strings (puppet strings) attached. This practice needs to flat stop now.

Let the States pick up the tab and set the rules for all social giveaway programs and get the feds out of it altogether. The closer to the people government is, the more responsive to the will of the people it will be.

sk8erord

We used to be a charitable nation. Now we're a welfare nation. I say we go back to the days of voluntary charity from family, friends, church and community. There is no accountability with welfare and it incentivises people not to work.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

CalicoJack10

Combat vet says,

The majority of this particular program that is not used, is because veterans are smart enough to know that if they buy a house with bad credit they will just loose the house and what little they have to creditors anyway. That being said, I have to agree that this should be handled on a state level and not a federal one.

However, presently there are a "Unknown Number" of veterans that have DFAS taking back pay that they received for active duty service. I also have to disagree that the majority of homeless veterans are there because of addiction. A majority Of veterans who do suffer from addiction, do so because of PTSD or TBI. Not that a majority of those who speak on the subject would have any idea what TBI or PTSD really are.

The housing cuts should be re-directed into a bill consolidation program instead of being cut so the Feds can find another way to spend it.

I speak on all of this from experience. And I am not talking too far in my past. In the last 3 years I have clawed my way out of eating from the dumpster at the local dominos to barely making enough to take care of myself and my family. It is not getting rich, but it is still far better than it was.

Most combat vets turn their pain inward, and without a support system it is nearly impossible to climb out of the hole this nation throws you in after you serve. I paid fOr our freedom with my blood, and I can't even get the little bit of debt that I have because nobody hires combat vets.

So to those that don't like that there are programs that are designed to help vets, like this home certificate program, all I have to say is,

If you haven't been there, Shut your mouth!

And if you really have something to say outside that, go bleed for our freedom and then I might care what you have to say.

I am a combat vet and this is my opinion.

Best wishes!!!!:dude:

Last edited:

since9

Campaign Veteran
I've worked with homeless veterans and can tell you that this could be a major problem. Sure, the housing vouchers come from the city or the county, but where do you think the city/county gets the money? That's right. It's federal dollars that keep these programs afloat. Without the federal money the vouchers dry up and those who need them do without. This, while not a tragedy of epic proportions, is still a sad state of affairs.

+1, and doubly so given that most cities are in the red due to the recession. Here in Colorado Springs they stopped watering the parks last year for the first time in decades. Other programs were cut, as well. There's simply no funds in the coffers. Furthermore, some cities have few homeless vets as a percentage of the population, while others have tons. Finally, asking cities, or even states, to foot the bill isn't proper, as the vets worked for the federal government, not the city or the state.

ON THE OTHER HAND, as some who has been homeless, I can tell you unequivocally that's almost always the fault of the vet that he/she is homeless in the first place. It's largely the choices we make that take us where we go in life. Alcohol and drug abuse re primary factors in the lives of the vast majority of homeless vets. In most cases, it's a matter of personal responsibility and the government shouldn't have to the ones who fall into this category.

Yes and no. Yes, it's about personal responsibility. No, in that it's been abundantly demonstrated that vets, particularly combat vets, are far more likely to become homeless and suffer from substance abuse issues than their peers in the general population.

There are some, however, who are homeless through no fault of their own. They either got caught by the bad economy or have physical. mental or emotional problems, mostly stemming from their time in service. THESE are the ones we should concentrate on. They've sacrificed for their country and are suffering for it. They need and deserve our help.

Ah, ok - you do understand.

If a competent screening program could be established through the VA to determine which vets fall into which category a LOT of money could be saved even with a reduced program.

That may be difficult. The VA psych docs are having difficulty correctly assessing and differentiating between things like PTSD, TBI, depression, etc., particularly when more than one condition is present. Furthermore, when substance abuse problems exist, there's a tendancy to over-focus on the substance abuse, incorrectly ascribing symptoms from other causes to the substance abuse.

ABNinfantryman

Most combat vets turn their pain inward, and without a support system it is nearly impossible to climb out of the hole this nation throws you in after you serve. I paid fOr our freedom with my blood, and I can't even get the little bit of debt that I have because nobody hires combat vets.

This. On top of a bad economy, soldiers have to deal with the stigma of PTSD. Everyone supports the troops until it comes time to deal with the aftermath of war, then nobody wants to deal with it. Also, this problem is almost entirely on the enlisted side of the military. I know infantry first sergeants, men who've led and managed a hundred men in combat, end up as stock boys in warehouses because they're not management material unless they have a degree. And when it comes time to leave the service, there's one advisor for every 50 soldiers, and three advisors for every officer, the system's not slanted at all. Soldiers destroy their bodies and minds for this nation and people think programs made to assist them outside of the service as simply social giveaway programs? How do you giveaway something which was earned?

But what can be expected, soldiers have been treated like garbage since the dawn of civilization.

OldCurlyWolf

This. On top of a bad economy, soldiers have to deal with the stigma of PTSD. Everyone supports the troops until it comes time to deal with the aftermath of war, then nobody wants to deal with it. Also, this problem is almost entirely on the enlisted side of the military. I know infantry first sergeants, men who've led and managed a hundred men in combat, end up as stock boys in warehouses because they're not management material unless they have a degree. And when it comes time to leave the service, there's one advisor for every 50 soldiers, and three advisors for every officer, the system's not slanted at all. Soldiers destroy their bodies and minds for this nation and people think programs made to assist them outside of the service as simply social giveaway programs? How do you giveaway something which was earned?

But what can be expected, soldiers have been treated like garbage since the dawn of civilization.

Because people(Sheeple) have always feared the warrior/sheepdog. We are dangerous because we go after the wolves of the world. We might turn on those we protect. Asinine idjiots.

Dreamer

The fact of the matter is that the government sees our Service members as "disposable assets". Once you are out of the military, they not only don't care about you, but they actively work to see that you get screwed into oblivion. They WANT you to disappear, or die. You are a liability to them once you're out of the Service.

You have been trained to honor and protect the Constitution, and our Nation. Once you're out on your own, they see you as a direct threat to their power-grab, because you have the training, knowledge, and motivation to stop their evil.

Some of you folks just don't get it...

And to ad insult to injury, not only do they see you as a liability to be gotten rid of, when you do finally die, they are actually gaming the system to steal your death benefits, and turn your death into a revenue stream for their cronies in the Insurance industry.

Prudential rewrote the Death Benefit Contracts they have with the DOD about a decade ago to allow them to essentially keep the death benefits of fallen servicemen and women...

You are, in fact, not only expendable, and a political liability, you are a cash cow, to be butchered and fed to the "fat cats"...

http://www.veteransforcommonsense.org/index.php/veterans-category-articles/1841-katie-couric

Wake up people...

Last edited:

since9

Campaign Veteran
Because people(Sheeple) have always feared the warrior/sheepdog. We are dangerous because we go after the wolves of the world.

Funny, I don't feel dangerous! I just feel normal. Then again, most people who see me OCing' don't consider me to be "normal." At least not until they meet me. After that I usually wind up having some fairly interesting conversations!

We might turn on those we protect. Asinine idjiots.

It's fear of the unknown. The more we OC and get to know others, and they get to know us, the more accurately others will perceive us.

Gunslinger

I don't believe a ratio of 3 advisors for every officer and only 1 per 50 enlisted is true. As to combat, warplane aviator officers were the combat vets in the Air Force and Navy during Viet Nam--for the most part, and the Army and Corps officers were shoulder to shoulder with enlisted guys. This isn't a discussion about classism, but duty to those who served this country irrespective of rank. Many came back from war and made great lives for themselves and their families. I was one of them. Vets have hiring preference in all Federal jobs, that's how I got mine 8 years ago. I don't mean to minimize the problem, but outreach for young vets now is 1000 times better than it was for us VN vets. Many of us had problems, that is where PTSD came from. But most got on with our lives. I don't think we treat our vets "like garbage," but they should be a priority for the Federal Government, imo, not a chip to play when budget cuts come up. The vast majority of vets never heard a gunshot, much less had one aimed at them. Imo, those who did should be at the top of any list for their country to honor and help as needed.

Another combat vet.

disabledamervet

Agreed, I am for all helping my fellow vets but we have our VFW's/ family that can help us as well and not just the tax payers. I working three minimum wage jobs that I have not done since HS but it feeds my family and I am lucky to even find these jobs.
-combat vet

The cuts are in effect as of 4-1-11. Here is a copy of a letter I sent to the Senate Committee on Veterans Affairs:

Saturday, April 02, 2011

The Honorable Patty Murray
United States Senate
448 Russell Senate Office Building
Washington, D.C. 20510-4701

Senator Murray,

First, allow me to congratulate you on your appointment as Chairperson of the Senate Committee of Veterans Affairs. In addition, I along with the thousands of homeless Vets in the country, thank you for your hard efforts for drafting, and pushing the Homeless Vets bill to the House. For you are a true humanitarian.

However, Senator, at this time, as many others over the last forty years, Veterans of the Armed Forces of the United States are once again being used as pawns on Capitol Hill. In the efforts to reduce the budget, Congress has decided to cut 75 Million Dollars from the Homeless Veterans Voucher Program. Or, shall I say, eliminate?

When we were young so many years ago, all a Veteran needed was a bedroll, a pile of leaves, a tree, and we could call that home if needed. And, we would survive, for that’s our conditioning as Vets. We are not young anymore, Senator. We are the disabled, either from our Military Service, or related injuries and diseases stemming from age.

We are just like any other citizen who has spent their lives chasing the American dream. We have raised families, paid our taxes, volunteer for the aid and comfort of others in our communities, less fortunate than ourselves. And, we, like so many others in the nation have fallen victim to the economy. Now, we are the homeless. We are the ones that a good portion of society deems unfit. We are the ones that when walking down any street in America, are looked upon as outcasts.

We are Americans like any other man or woman in this country. However, Senator Murray, there is one difference that separates all Veterans from non-Veterans. That would be our oath of allegiance.

Many years ago, and like the millions of men and women before, and after us, we raised our right hands in crowded rooms throughout the country. This is what I repeated in one of those rooms:

"I, Richard Michael Ponce, do solemnly swear that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that I will obey the orders of the President of the United States and the orders of the officers appointed over me, according to regulations and the Uniform Code of Military Justice. So help me God."

It is an oath that all Veterans today, still obligate themselves to by choice. After the attacks on 9/11, thousands of us tried to, and some were able to reenlist in defense of our nation.
And, now it seems that our government has deemed us expendable once again. Yesterday, the Veterans Transitional Housing Program that I and many others are a part of, were informed that VASH vouchers are no longer available for us. I personally have spent the last 18 months living in the Skid Row section of Los Angeles, California awaiting my voucher.

I have finished the process and I’m supposed to receive my voucher in 2 or 3 weeks. Now, I’m told that may not happen. I am totally disabled, and currently living on a non-service-connected pension.

Without the HUD voucher, I will not be able to survive. Neither will the Vets who are in my program. The majority of us are over 50 years of age, some are over 60. I’m 58. I guess we’ll have to look for that pile of leaves and that special tree to lay our heads. I spent the last 38 years gainfully employed. I was laid-off 2 years ago. For that, I apologize to the United States.

I also apologize for being a disabled American Vet, as I would never want to place a burden on anyone. Help us, Senator. Please, once again, be our voice to Congress.

Respectfully,

Richard Ponce
United States Navy Veteran
Los Angeles, California.

Gunslinger

The cuts are in effect as of 4-1-11. Here is a copy of a letter I sent to the Senate Committee on Veterans Affairs:

Saturday, April 02, 2011

The Honorable Patty Murray
United States Senate
448 Russell Senate Office Building
Washington, D.C. 20510-4701

>>>>>>>>>>>>

Well written and on target. Unfortunately, murray is a leftwing pos who couldn't care less about Vets--homeless or otherwise. Now Illegal Aliens...that's her cup of tea. Make sure they get their welfare on time. Good luck to you, from a VN Vet.