• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Cracker Barrel: Not Friendly to Open Carriers? (Per VCDL)

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I was just there back in Feb no problems.

Are they posting signs on the doors now? I didn't see one.

No signs and hopefully there won't be any.
It may be that some Managers aren't enforcing it although they will be disciplined if they get caught.

bnkrazy

Campaign Veteran
Well ain't that sad. I liked CB. Good thing I used up our last gift card without incident last month. I won't be going back if this is the way they've decided to go.

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
This doesn't sound good. I think I'll let our Ohio brethren over at Ohioans for Concealed Carry (they support both OC / CC) know of this. Ohio's one of the holdouts that refuses to recognize the right of people to arm themselves for protection in places serving alcohol so losing a place like Cracker Barrel is a big deal.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
There is a lot more to this and I expect I will be on another "DO NOT TALK TO LIST....now...but there isn't much of a story other than they are anti now (Chippers and LEO's excepted"...but this is Corporate on the phone.

I'll leave sleeping dogs lay as far as VCDL's source....It would cause problems and wouldn't add much.

anyway, this is the essence of it:

[video=vimeo;21313312]http://vimeo.com/21313312[/video]

Last edited:

ocholsteroc

There is a lot more to this and I expect I will be on another "DO NOT TALK TO LIST....now...but there isn't much of a story other than they are anti now (Chippers and LEO's excepted"...but this is Corporate on the phone.

I'll leave sleeping dogs lay as far as VCDL's source....It would cause problems and wouldn't add much.

anyway, this is the essence of it:

[video=vimeo;21313312]http://vimeo.com/21313312[/video]

LEO are NOT above the law, my teachers keep telling us this. So why do cops get to carry only! :banghead:

I doubt they believe "you had a gun in the car and it was stolen" I would never leave my gun in the car, if I am asked to leave which only one place that has been is was a computer show in VB; I would just leave.

We all know about Suzanna Gratia Hupp dont we?

I will be leaving, not leaving my gun in the car.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
At least Peter Nap was able to reach a real person. Every time I called I got all of our representatives are busy at this time, followed later by we are experiencing a high call volume at this time. Sound like Peter may have had all of their reps (1?) tied up on the phone.

Finally, left a brief message and contact information - no return phone call....... yet.

Last edited:

Riana

All right, fellas... I'm in a letter-writing mood. To whom would I address my politely-worded complaint that they care more about other people's comfort than my own?

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
Postcard Sent to Corp (shown below) and also my local Store (not shown but same msg.)

crackerbarrel.jpg

MSC 45ACP

Don't See, Don't Tell"

I OC'd at my local Cracker Barrel a few weeks ago and will continue to do so until I am asked to leave. Then I'll go to another CB and try again. When I am asked to leave, THEN I will write letters to my local CBs. Perhaps our local managers will continue to admit us until they are forced to do otherwise. The economy is hard all over. Can they afford to alienate a whole group of customers if they don't have to? Perhaps our local Cracker Barrels are practicing "Don't See, "Don't Tell".

Time will well, I suppose...

Last edited:

Wolf_shadow

Activist Member
I OC'd at my local Cracker Barrel a few weeks ago and will continue to do so until I am asked to leave. Then I'll go to another CB and try again. When I am asked to leave, THEN I will write letters to my local CBs. Perhaps our local managers will continue to admit us until they are forced to do otherwise. The economy is hard all over. Can they afford to alienate a whole group of customers if they don't have to? Perhaps our local Cracker Barrels are practicing "Don't See, "Don't Tell".

I'm sorry but corporate has shown their colors. I don't care if the local managers ignore it or not. Why put money in corporate's pocket? I won't! :banghead:

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
I just sent this out. Cracker Barrel's investor website gave me a different address than what Ed had, so I hope it gets there just the same.

* The postcard text isn't easily legible in the picture so here it is:

For most of my life I have enjoyed the offerings of Cracker Barrel's food and hospitality, and I have plenty of fond memories of meals shared in your restaurants with loved ones now passed. I have always been happy to return for good food and pleasant people. However, when I learned that a recent change in policy led to my friends in Richmond, VA being ejected from and barred entrance from their local Cracker Barrel merely for carrying holstered sidearms for protection, as they and my family have done for years, I knew Cracker Barrel is no longer a place for me, my wife or the rest of our family.

You see we find it to be a despicable request to ask someone to give up their means to protect the one and only life they've been given for a bit of food, and that is just the request that Cracker Barrel has made of my friends and family by barring law abiding, peaceable sidearm carriers in its restaurants. When you no longer see us enjoying the hospitality and food we once enjoyed and wonder what happened, you'll know now why we aren't there. If the management of Cracker Barrel realizes that disarming peaceable folks who merely want a bite to eat is a mistake, please let me know and we'll gladly return. It is my distinct hope that Cracker Barrel will realize that its behavior toward my friends is not just inhospitable, but downright despicable as it asks us to trade our ability to protect our one and only life for something as transient as a meal.

Thanks anyway,
jmelvin

Attachments

• Cracker Barrel Card.jpg
    Cracker Barrel Card.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 120
Last edited:

JamesB

I talked them into all going to River City Diner, and we all had a great time. I know we spent less money there and got more food, and of course Courtney always takes such good care of us!

Just like then, I think we all had a great time the other day at River City Diner! Actually, I've never seen a crowd happier that they got kicked out of a place! Wish you and your Saint of a wife could have been there Peter, we sure had some laughs, and none so much as when Three Gun Kim called and told us what kind of stuff went on when she got to CB, and it just got better and funnier from there! Great job there "Three Gun" by the way!

I think we brought another kindred spirit on board to OCDO and VCDL too!

And the news of this spreads across the land. I told my brother he would have a good time at CB that morning if he wasn't busy, I had no idea how much fun he would actually be in for. Now I apparently need to have my own meet up here in Colorado at a CB.

Two thoughts: 1) anyone can refuse a request. As long as they're asking, and not telling, "just say no".

Now I'll admit i don't know s*** about Virginia law, but here in Colorado if you are requested to leave private property and refuse, you will be arrested for trespassing. Whether or not you end up being charged, it's still just bad form and sets a poor example for future communication. (my opinion)

Older Brother of "The New Guy"
Thanks for taking care of him for me.

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
Now I'll admit i don't know s*** about Virginia law, but here in Colorado if you are requested to leave private property and refuse, you will be arrested for trespassing.

Thats the same here. I think what was meant was.. If I was told:

A) We really don't like guns and would prefer you put it in your car.
I would respond "No thank you"

or

B) You can't have a gun in here and you must leave the premise.
I would leave.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate

They may not say anything down your way. There is a whole lot more to this story and I'm sorting through the details now. I OC'ed last week at the one in Mechanicsville and nothing was said.
Several members OC'ed on Saturday and nothing was said until more showed up.

Corporate seemed to know a lot of the OC lingo and specifically mentioned tucking a jacket behind the gun.

Don't see, Don't tell doesn't really work for me so it's "Don't Go!".

Tonight, I'm going somewhere that has always been OC Friendly...just to make suer they still are....and eat wings:lol:

Tomorrow, Back to Surry and Surrey House that's definitely Friendly, then Friday, back to Surry again, then on the the farm.

Cracker Barrel is history other than finishing the story and publishing it.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
God Bless The wonderful women of Hooters! (and their acceptance of OC)

While I agree with the wonderful women of Hooters, that isn't where I'm going. It's all you can eat night at Quaker Steak and Lube and....Bike Night starts in 29 days, 50 minutes and 40 seconds.:banana: