• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Violation of Preemption?

tombrewster421

Not saying I disagree with you as I definately see this as coercion too. But I cannot find any precedence or even a city or official being charged for a similar crime.

Maybe it's about time we made an example of one. I vote Puyallup. They seem to be really into coercing the public with statements like "we don't think that right now is a good time to be reviewing firearms laws". As if their stupid laws weren't already repealed by the state.

amlevin

Maybe it's about time we made an example of one. I vote Puyallup. They seem to be really into coercing the public with statements like "we don't think that right now is a good time to be reviewing firearms laws". As if their stupid laws weren't already repealed by the state.

Why waste the time and effort? The State already did the job for them when they passed "preemption". You know, that part where all local laws were rendered repealed.

I'd rather see a concerted effort on either getting ".270" repealed, re-written, or have some definitions added so gun owners can no longer be intimidated or coerced by LEO's and Prosecutors.

I ask again, has anyone actually received a citation in any of these parks for carrying a firearm in the last couple of years? If not, then it's just a sign that has no meaning. .270, on the other hand, has claimed a victim or two and needs the attention.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
Serial Misinformation.

Why waste the time and effort? The State already did the job for them when they passed "preemption". You know, that part where all local laws were rendered repealed.

I'd rather see a concerted effort on either getting ".270" repealed, re-written, or have some definitions added so gun owners can no longer be intimidated or coerced by LEO's and Prosecutors.

I ask again, has anyone actually received a citation in any of these parks for carrying a firearm in the last couple of years? If not, then it's just a sign that has no meaning. .270, on the other hand, has claimed a victim or two and needs the attention.

Why? Serial Misinformation.

The longer these types of signs exist, the longer the general public (including the CC only crowd who does not frequent the expertise on this site) believes that it is illegal to carry in a park. I would venture to guess that 75% or more of gun owners have been duped by the local governments by leaving these types of signs in place.

Scenario...

8 year old boy is taught right and wrong by his parents. See's sign in park.
12 year old boy playing in park see's the sign.
16 year old boy is taught in school that guns are bad. See's sign in park during summer.
21 year old man buys first handgun, joins the NRA and gets his CPL. See's sign in park.
22 year old man still believes that the sign is correct 14 years after he first saw the sign.

If you see and official government sign over and over through the years you will generally believe it is legitimate. Not everyone who owns a firearm is as educated as those of us who frequent this forum.

amlevin

Why? Serial Misinformation.

The longer these types of signs exist, the longer the general public (including the CC only crowd who does not frequent the expertise on this site) believes that it is illegal to carry in a park. I would venture to guess that 75% or more of gun owners have been duped by the local governments by leaving these types of signs in place.

Scenario...

8 year old boy is taught right and wrong by his parents. See's sign in park.
12 year old boy playing in park see's the sign.
16 year old boy is taught in school that guns are bad. See's sign in park during summer.
21 year old man buys first handgun, joins the NRA and gets his CPL. See's sign in park.
22 year old man still believes that the sign is correct 14 years after he first saw the sign.

If you see and official government sign over and over through the years you will generally believe it is legitimate. Not everyone who owns a firearm is as educated as those of us who frequent this forum.

I don't disagree with your premise. The point still remains that these signs will remain until such time as they fall down, are burned down, defaced beyond recognition, or otherwise just disappear. With the financial state every level of government is in these are the last things they will be spending ANY money on. We can want them changed all we want but just remember the old saying about "wishing in one hand and @#$%ing in the other". Those signs will be there long after your "wished in hand" ever fills with anything.

You also fail to give the person in your example credit for having a brain. That same person probably read the news or saw the Seattle Park's controversy on TV and realizes that the "sign" means nothing more than "don't shoot in the park". If they're not smart enough to figure that out do you really want them in the park? They might well be the type of person that isn't smart enough to realize that you can't shoot at the group next to you because their radio is too loud and they're having too much fun.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
I don't disagree with your premise. The point still remains that these signs will remain until such time as they fall down, are burned down, defaced beyond recognition, or otherwise just disappear. With the financial state every level of government is in these are the last things they will be spending ANY money on. We can want them changed all we want but just remember the old saying about "wishing in one hand and @#$%ing in the other". Those signs will be there long after your "wished in hand" ever fills with anything.

You also fail to give the person in your example credit for having a brain. That same person probably read the news or saw the Seattle Park's controversy on TV and realizes that the "sign" means nothing more than "don't shoot in the park". If they're not smart enough to figure that out do you really want them in the park? They might well be the type of person that isn't smart enough to realize that you can't shoot at the group next to you because their radio is too loud and they're having too much fun.

I am giving them credit for having a brain. This scenario (albeit simplified) is one I encounter at every gun show that I sit behind the OCDO table and talk with regular gun owners.

Thinking outloud....where do I get a high quality metalic tape (in brown and white) that would be sufficient to last on a metal sign in adverse weather? Hmmmm

amlevin

I am giving them credit for having a brain. This scenario (albeit simplified) is one I encounter at every gun show that I sit behind the OCDO table and talk with regular gun owners.

Thinking outloud....where do I get a high quality metalic tape (in brown and white) that would be sufficient to last on a metal sign in adverse weather? Hmmmm

If you'd settle for "Silver" Home Depot and Lowes sell it in the Plumbing/Heating department. It's made of aluminum and has a peel off backing. Used to seal metal ducts on furnaces and A/C units. Some people even use it to repair torn sheet metal on their cars.

tombrewster421

If you'd settle for "Silver" Home Depot and Lowes sell it in the Plumbing/Heating department. It's made of aluminum and has a peel off backing. Used to seal metal ducts on furnaces and A/C units. Some people even use it to repair torn sheet metal on their cars.

Or you could get those reflective number stickers for your address on a mailbox and cut them into strips.
I do have a friend that has access to the reflective vinyl they use for sign making. He could get any color you want, just not sure how much a square foot would cost.

Last edited: