• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Okay help me out here please? (IWB holsters)...

Murphy

As you can tell, I'm pretty new to the site, and I am enjoying the info I have read so far.
I'll be carrying a Springfield 1911 "Champion" Model. (Love .45's)...
I've been looking at holsters and will eventually have an IWB and an OWB.
I think though that I will do mostly IWB for the plain and simple reason is that OWB seems a bit "noticeable", and while that can be a deterrant to bad things, the fact that you are packing openly can draw all sorts of attention to you (good and bad), including the idiot that may actually try to grab it out of your holster.
Okay enough for explanations...my question being...
After doing my homework and research I seem to be down to two models of IWB Holster:
A: The Crossbreed Supertuck Deluxe.
B: The Comp-Tac CTAC.

Now I am not going to ask which one is best because we all have our opinions...:lol:

But one of the things I keep noticing is that "the holsters and weapon seem well concealed" if the shirt is worn "tucked in".
What about if I don't want to wear the shirt tucked in? What problems am I looking at here?...

Sometimes I just wear the shirt out of the pants. I don't wear them tight so I don't see that as a problem.
With these type of holsters, does wearing an "untucked shirt" help to "not conceal" the concealed weapon?

All answers are greatly appreciated!...

Thanks!

Murphy

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
First, I would suggest trying out Open Carry. I think that you will find that no one makes a big deal out of it. Open carry has clear benefits over concealed carry mainly the deterrent value. I am willing to bet that you will enjoy open carry if you try it for about a week. In regards to your holster question, the Supertuck is a great holster. Even if you leave your shirt untucked your firearm will not be noticeable. The Supertuck is also very comfortable if you are going to be wearing it for an extended period of time.

Murphy

Yeah I've been thinking about OC'ing...
The issue being (and maybe it's me), is that I almost immediately seem to notice "gun" when a person is OC'ing...
I was with the lady at the antique mall the other day and a guy was with his wife as the came around the corner and the first thing I noticed was "pistol on the hip", then I I made eye contact with him, to see if he noticed that I had noticed ..Just something I do, and he did...
We smiled and nodded at each other and went out seperate ways.
I just kind of think that if I can prevent that "one day" when an idiot wants to do something about me OC'ing...and I can prevent it by using an IWB, then it'll be worth it.

GuidoZ

I have (and use) a CompTac Minotaur MTAC and find it quite comfortable. It's easy to draw from, and easy to tuck away when needed. (I don't always use it for CC.) If you're interested in an excellent OC holster, take a peek at the Safariland ALS line. By far the best holster I've seen, in that class. :cool:

--
Peace. ~G

Eeyore

.......But one of the things I keep noticing is that "the holsters and weapon seem well concealed" if the shirt is worn "tucked in".
What about if I don't want to wear the shirt tucked in? What problems am I looking at here?...

Sometimes I just wear the shirt out of the pants. I don't wear them tight so I don't see that as a problem.
With these type of holsters, does wearing an "untucked shirt" help to "not conceal" the concealed weapon?

Quite the opposite. An untucked shirt will usually help hide the bulge caused by the grip of the pistol, as long as it hangs loosely. Hawaiian shirts are great for this. However, an untucked shirt (especially in a loud tropical print) is not always appropriate.

Non-tuckable IWBs force you to either keep your shirt untucked or give up concealment unless you're also wearing a coat. (Depending on state law, wearing an IWB holster over a tucked shirt may or may not be considered OC. Switching from CC to OC just by tucking in your shirt is sometimes called "the Virginia tuck".) Tuckable IWBs like you're looking at give you the option to maintain concealment no matter how you wear your shirt.

Three things to think about:

1. No matter what type holster you use, a solid belt is necessary to give it stability.

2. The shirt can't be too tight. If you're tucking it in, you must ensure to "blouse" it as evenly as possible all the way around your wasitband, so the loose fabric doesn't highlight the extra item you're carrying.

3. Tucking your shirt tail in over the holster does make it more difficult to draw your weapon. This is the price you pay for increased concealment.

The SuperTuck, the C-TAC, as well as CompTac's Minotaur and Tucker's "The Answer" are all similar designs that should provide good comfort and stability with excellent concealment. I've been completely satisfied with my SuperTuck.

230therapy

RE: The Crossbreed Supertuck Deluxe.

Careful here. Make sure that the leather "sweat shield" area is cut enough that you can get a grip on the gun. Your thumb will go behind the leather. An acquaintance of mine had one and he had difficulty drawing the gun because there was not enough relief. His body shape caused the leather to angle out. The result is that he had to work his thumb between the leather and gun.

It is imperative that you be able to get a solid grip on the firearm quickly. Therefore, go with the Comp-Tac. I had a CTAC and it was a great holster.

Last edited:

Michigander

Before you dump serious money on a IWB, I do suggest trying out a simple cheap kind.

I've been Mexi carrying my DA/SA P220 for years, normally with the chamber empty unless I'm somewhere real dangerous such as Detroit or Pontiac. I do this when I suddenly need concealment and have no CC holster. It works great. So too for that matter does a cheap IWB holster. You get marginally more stability with a fancier one, depending on how tight your belt is, and maybe a bit of help breaking up the outline of the gun, but you'll still be printing unless you're wearing really baggy clothes.

For typically less than 15 dollars, you can get a IWB holster which will last you at least 6 months of daily carry. I would suggest this as a way to get your bearings on which way you want to carry, and then buying a fancy holster.

For OWB carry, my advise is a bit different. I suggest not fooling around and immediately buying the best, a Safariland.

Last edited: