• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Teacher punishes student for saying "bless you"

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
This is why school systems get sued along with the stupid teachers who sometimes inhabit them.

Tell the teacher to put the points back, and discipline the teacher, or it means you condone the behavior.

There is a child who will have money for a college education or a very nice car (presuming any are made when they are old enough to buy a car).

And the saddest part is that they taxpayers are going to be funding it, instead of the teacher and school administrators.

stay safe.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
Wow...ridiculous! I think the person sneezing is more of a class disruption than the person saying bless you. He should have taken points off both of them....just kidding.

gsxrman

To me saying "bless you" when someone sneezes is almost a polite/respect thing. I say bless you or god bless you, but i won't take offense to another form of the same thing. (I think spanish speaking countries say "salud") I work with several people from mexico, they say salud, at least thats what i think they say, and i say bless you. no childish hissy fits required.

Tawnos

Get thee away evil spirits of the body! Social memes live on.

Our theater teacher got all pissy about that, too. I remember her going on a yelling spree once because of it.

I understand, somewhat, as it is a dumb meme.

Brion

Just wait & watch. This is where you are going to hear about someone getting in trouble in school for saying "Merry Christmas." I still havn't met "that" person that throws a fit, but I can't wait.

Me: "Merry Christmas."
Hippy: "Sir, It's Happy Holidays."
Me: "No, I think you didn't hear me. I said 'Merry *&^%$& Christmas, mutha' (*&^%"

Why is it in America you can S*&t all over Jesus but DON'T YOU DARE SAY ANYTHING bad about Muhumad, or the Hebrews. Not that I would but just watch Family Guy or South Park and I rest my case.

HKcarrier

Look, I'm sure there was a rule of ZERO TALKING during the test... saying bless you is talking... Calm down.

Daylen

lol. I had the opposite treatment. If I DIDN'T say, "God bless you", I was in trouble, not much bit still some. That was a few years ago now..

Last edited:

Haz.

Just wait & watch. This is where you are going to hear about someone getting in trouble in school for saying "Merry Christmas." I still havn't met "that" person that throws a fit, but I can't wait.

Me: "Merry Christmas."
Hippy: "Sir, It's Happy Holidays."
Me: "No, I think you didn't hear me. I said 'Merry *&^%$& Christmas, mutha' (*&^%"

Why is it in America you can S*&t all over Jesus but DON'T YOU DARE SAY ANYTHING bad about Muhumad, or the Hebrews. Not that I would but just watch Family Guy or South Park and I rest my case.

Believe it or not. In Sydney not that long ago, a large group of ethnic's had their leaders tell us via the news papers and talk back radio that they wanted to have christmas carols and the playing of christmas music being played in shopping center Malls BANNED because, wait for it? They were offended by them!! Yes,they left their shi#t hole country because they were oppressed and scared and all that B.S and then come over to Australia and want to dictate to us what we can and cannot do! Well they got a rude shock when the majority stood up and gave them a hammering. Dont hear much from them now? Cheers, Haz.

frommycolddeadhands

This teacher is a moron. Saying "bless you" doesn't interupt a class anymore than saying "Gesundheit". Another example of teachers bringing their personal hangups into the classroom.

Once upon a time they actually used to teach good manners in school. Saying 'please' and 'thank you' 'excuse me' and 'bless you'. Then people wonder why kids these days are a bunch of slouchy, foul mouthed little s&^% with their pants down around their knees and bad manners.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
Believe it or not. In Sydney not that long ago, a large group of ethnic's had their leaders tell us via the news papers and talk back radio that they wanted to have christmas carols and the playing of christmas music being played in shopping center Malls BANNED because, wait for it? They were offended by them!! Yes,they left their shi#t hole country because they were oppressed and scared and all that B.S and then come over to Australia and want to dictate to us what we can and cannot do! Well they got a rude shock when the majority stood up and gave them a hammering. Dont hear much from them now? Cheers, Haz.

We have things nearly as ridiculous as that here in the U.S. but the really appalling thing is it is promoted and foisted by Americans! Somehow, these people have gotten it in their heads over the past several generations that our First Amendment in the Bill of Rights prohibits schools and firehouses and city halls and a host of other public places from anything religious. They found something in that Amendment which isn't in there.

Succumbing to the lowest common denominator never leads to harmony.

Tawnos

We have things nearly as ridiculous as that here in the U.S. but the really appalling thing is it is promoted and foisted by Americans! Somehow, these people have gotten it in their heads over the past several generations that our First Amendment in the Bill of Rights prohibits schools and firehouses and city halls and a host of other public places from anything religious. They found something in that Amendment which isn't in there.

Succumbing to the lowest common denominator never leads to harmony.

It's not "anything religious" it's "one religious practice over another". Essentially, it's an all or nothing thing. You let everyone who wants to do something religious do so, or you don't let anyone, but you don't promote one group more than another.

Daylen

It's not "anything religious" it's "one religious practice over another". Essentially, it's an all or nothing thing. You let everyone who wants to do something religious do so, or you don't let anyone, but you don't promote one group more than another.

Its a hands off amendment. If it allows for schools to not let anyone do something religious it would infringe upon the basic rights of freedom of religion and freedom of speech. As much as some other atheists would like it the 1st amendment protections can not stop religious practice in a public place.

SovereignAxe

I've always thought saying bless you after a sneeze was ridiculous. But then again I'm one of those people that always sneezes at least five times in a row, so it gets old.

Why don't we say anything after someone coughs? We cough and sneeze for similar purposes, so why not have a saying for each?

From taking German, I know that gesundheit roughly translates to "have good health." From taking French I know "a tes souhaits" is roughly "make a wish"

I think they're all ridiculous, but interchange the three in practice so as not to seem rude to others (when really I'd just like to kill a superstition that nobody understands). But docking points for doing it? I think that's crossing a line. I don't care if they were taking a test. The sneeze is the disruptive part of class-that damage has been done.

Last edited:

Brimstone Baritone

Why don't we say anything after someone coughs? We cough and sneeze for similar purposes, so why not have a saying for each?

I do, and it's usually "Cover your mouth!"

As for people who sneeze 5 times in a row, I either wait till they stop, or say it on the first one and that's it. My carrier restricts the number of blessings I can give in a day.

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
the teacher said it was nothing against religion.

i've seen first hand when I was in school students purposefully coughing and sneezing obnoxiously in class and the rest doing the whole "BLESS YOU!!!!" obnoxiously to interrupt the teacher. just like when we hear about OC reports, we don't know the whole story here.

For all we know the kids were being douche bags and one kid obnoxiously said GOD BLESS YOU to an obnoxious fake sneeze and pushed the teacher of the line. it happens. I've seen it.

Tawnos

Its a hands off amendment. If it allows for schools to not let anyone do something religious it would infringe upon the basic rights of freedom of religion and freedom of speech. As much as some other atheists would like it the 1st amendment protections can not stop religious practice in a public place.

The issue is when people like the this dbag put up the 10 commandments in their court, refuse the order to remove them, and then play the victim card after. Private practice of religion in public is fine. Public endorsement of a specific religion is not.

Last edited: