• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What will Open Carry be like in CA 2012?

Firemark

I spoke to a patrol officer a 3 days before 2012 and asked if he had recieved any training regarding "Open Carry".

He replied that he had read a memo about 3 years ago now, doesnt remember to much about it, and had actually been involved once in contacting some open carriers.

I asked, "nothing new regarding the changes?" "no recent memo or training?"

He said nope havent heard anything about it.

So there you have it 3 days before the law goes into effect, an average beat patrol officer that open carriers will most likely encounter, has virtually no clue about what to do or how to handle OC'rs, and what little info he does remember is from 3 years ago, if he can remember.

I asked do you know about the 116 exemptions?

He did not have a clue.

I would suggest to many open carriers out there to stand by, I forsee working UOC of handguns within the exemptions and throwing right back in the faces of the dem's, liberals and police chief associations the lame law that does absolutley nothing. And will draw more UOC handgunners to the cause.

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
I think the heavy lifting has been done, though the first to employ the exemptions has a rather delicate task being the guinea pig for all the others.

Otherwise, I believe it will be business as usual for handgun open carry. No need for long guns yet.

KBCraig

I asked do you know about the 116 exemptions?

He did not have a clue.
For those of us not in California (and for those in California who haven't followed along closely), can you give us a summary?

I follow California out of a general interest, but I haven't kept up with the details of the new law. I thought UOC was simply going away on 1/1/12. No?

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
For those of us not in California (and for those in California who haven't followed along closely), can you give us a summary?

I follow California out of a general interest, but I haven't kept up with the details of the new law. I thought UOC was simply going away on 1/1/12. No?

No. Not in the way the legislature intended.

Firemark

EXTREMEOPS1

Campaign Veteran
Maybe we will see....

I think the heavy lifting has been done, though the first to employ the exemptions has a rather delicate task being the guinea pig for all the others.

Otherwise, I believe it will be business as usual for handgun open carry. No need for long guns yet.

members of " responsible citizens of california " will step in and become the guinea pig for a test case on handgun UOC come January 1st 2012 although the guiding force of adnan has now resigned for personal and political reason. Maybe sam will step up again has he has done many times in the past . The LGOC movement will not go away as the handgun UOC has been outlawed by AB144 which is subject to a lawsuit that California will inevitably pay dearly for in the near future. Be safe and carry on

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
members of " responsible citizens of california " will step in and become the guinea pig for a test case on handgun UOC come January 1st 2012 although the guiding force of adnan has now resigned for personal and political reason. Maybe sam will step up again has he has done many times in the past . The LGOC movement will not go away as the handgun UOC has been outlawed by AB144 which is subject to a lawsuit that California will inevitably pay dearly for in the near future. Be safe and carry on

It's apparent that you didn't bother to read the analysis provided in the link or the post regarding exploiting the exemptions to nullify AB144/PC26350. It is difficult to discern whether this is willful ignorance or both of these new resources were not conspicuous enough for you see. The exemptions are numerous enough and broad enough that handgun open carry can continue without promoting or encouraging long gun open carry.

Again- AB144 fails to ban UOC of handguns, when one takes advantage of the various 'loopholes' written by Anthony Portantino into his law. We should indulge him.

If UOC of handguns is still possible, the only conceivable purpose to carry a long arm is to instigate a response. We have no control over whether that response will come from the police, the court of public opinion, the legislature or some combination of them all. By continuing to UOC handguns it is possible to influence the message somewhat, by demonstrating to the police and the legislature that AB144 was a waste of time and continues to waste resourses, and still limit the exposure of long guns to new and onerous prohibitions.

gravedigger

My guess is that OCers will be stopped, their firearms will be confiscated, and the cops will "do you a favor" by not arresting you, and the anti's will cheer them on because "dangerous handguns" are being removed from the streets. Don't put it past CommieFornia for one second, to ignore law and just do as they please.

If you really want to open carry, open carry your personal possessions across state lines and leave CommieFornia to self-destruct, and it most certainly will.

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
My guess is that OCers will be stopped, their firearms will be confiscated, and the cops will "do you a favor" by not arresting you, and the anti's will cheer them on because "dangerous handguns" are being removed from the streets. Don't put it past CommieFornia for one second, to ignore law and just do as they please.

If you really want to open carry, open carry your personal possessions across state lines and leave CommieFornia to self-destruct, and it most certainly will.

Your guess would be wrong, because that didnt happen when this movement broke ground about 6 years ago and isnt likely to change even with the passage of more restrictions on transport. Such seizures would quickly get authorities caught up in defending against 4th amendment complaints.

The suggestion that we should pursue liberty elsewhere is repugnant to natives - The Constitution and the Bill of Rights applies here as much as it does in any of the other 49 states of the union. The fight for freedom is here, today... not in a history book chronicling the sacrifices of colonial revolutionaries. To suppose that there should be no fight and that we should retreat to freer states is to suggest that liberty has no value, that compromise is more palletable than restoring your inalienable rights because the effort required is just too great to bear. Imagine our founders taking such a position- there would be no United States as we know it. Thanks for your advice, but I will be staying.

Thundar

What does need have to do with the exercise of a fundamental right?

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
What does need have to do with the exercise of a fundamental right?

Let me ask you something. When was the last time you openly carried an AR or AK pattern long gun into a Starbucks in Newport News, Virginia? I am guessing without looking at your post history that you have never carried a long gun in an urban setting. You might not have a 'need' to, but you have better justification by Article I Section 13 of the Commonwealth of Virginia's Constitution... But you have made a conscious descision not to carry a long gun into a Starbucks to socialize with other gun owners.

Why not? You are promoting an activity in a state that has no state level right to keep and bear arms from the safety of your armchair 3,000 miles away in a state that does, that you, yourself do not practice. It isnt a question of need, but appropriateness. Right now, in California, it is not appropriate to shoulder a rifle when we have less conspicuous and more common defensive arms available for us to use to prove our position.

ManInBlack

I agree with you that California is fundamentally lost...there is simply no way to go against the rising demographic and political tide there.

I am no longer emotionally attached to the current geographical configuration of the "United" States - I would not shed a tear if the nation broke apart along the already-existing cultural fault lines. California, most of the Northeast, and some parts of the statist South and Midwest should pursue their destiny apart from those of us in free territory. I see this outcome as infinitely preferable to the status quo, in which liberals and other undesirables from these areas carpetbag to our states, fleeing high taxes, high crime, and limited freedom, only to vote for the same failed policies they implemented at home!

No offense intended to the few good people that still remain in those benighted areas; you will be among the first allowed to apply to immigrate to the Free West!

Last edited:

Save Our State

I agree with you that California is fundamentally lost...there is simply no way to go against the rising demographic and political tide there.

I am no longer emotionally attached to the current geographical configuration of the "United" States - I would not shed a tear if the nation broke apart along the already-existing cultural fault lines. California, most of the Northeast, and some parts of the statist South and Midwest should pursue their destiny apart from those of us in free territory. I see this outcome as infinitely preferable to the status quo, in which liberals and other undesirables from these areas carpetbag to our states, fleeing high taxes, high crime, and limited freedom, only to vote for the same failed policies they implemented at home!

No offense intended to the few good people that still remain in those benighted areas; you will be among the first allowed to apply to immigrate to the Free West!

We're not supposed to be offended by that? For those of you who think that you can hide, run, migrate, or otherwise relocate away from this battle; I might remind you of the civil war. The states that lost specifically. That was the "free south". When the fighting was all over, all the holdouts who thought they could entrench themselves in culturally desirable enclaves were overrun by carpetbaggers. They lost it all.
I will go a little farther and say that most of the people that offer advice such as yours are more often than not the same ones that never fought anywhere for anything.

Iopencarry

SoS,

just ignore the out of state a-holes that make these types of comments. You and I and the other true 2A Advocates here know better then anyone how the fight for our STATE.

I agree with you in that he would not know how to, and has most likely never had to fight for his civil rights.

ManInBlack

We're not supposed to be offended by that? For those of you who think that you can hide, run, migrate, or otherwise relocate away from this battle; I might remind you of the civil war. The states that lost specifically. That was the "free south". When the fighting was all over, all the holdouts who thought they could entrench themselves in culturally desirable enclaves were overrun by carpetbaggers. They lost it all.
I will go a little farther and say that most of the people that offer advice such as yours are more often than not the same ones that never fought anywhere for anything.

You can keep fighting in California as much as you like. I was simply stating my belief that over the long run, the demographic and political tide will go against you. Some of us are at the point at which we wish we could wash our hands of California, as it does not seem to export anything positive, politically-speaking. The peaceful migration from the PRC is doing more damage to free states than an armed invasion, such as what you allude to after the civil war, ever could. If we were separate nations, that problem could be abated.