• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Reloading components

attrapereves

I've had good luck with Berrys. However, they tend to come apart or keyhole at velocities over 1100fps (not a problem for 45ACP and other slower calibers). Currently, I order FMJ bullets from Precision Delta. Their prices are only a few bucks higher than Berrys plated, but it's definitely worth it. Reloading plated bullets can sometimes be tricky since you must avoid over-crimping.

G22shooter

Campaign Veteran
I've had good luck with Berrys. However, they tend to come apart or keyhole at velocities over 1100fps (not a problem for 45ACP and other slower calibers). Currently, I order FMJ bullets from Precision Delta. Their prices are only a few bucks higher than Berrys plated, but it's definitely worth it. Reloading plated bullets can sometimes be tricky since you must avoid over-crimping.

I've been loading my own .40s&w using Berry's bullets with Blue Dot powder and haven't noticed any poor performance.

I'm curious why you are crimping pistol bullets, though. Is that a particular issue with your pistol?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk

drew9

I've been loading my own .40s&w using Berry's bullets with Blue Dot powder and haven't noticed any poor performance.

I'm curious why you are crimping pistol bullets, though. Is that a particular issue with your pistol?

as far as crimping goes on a pistol, I dont think you really need it unless.you are having feed issues when shooting the reloads. Provided theres a tight seal between the bullet and the rim of the brass (there should be unless you are seating the bullet to far in) no crimping should be needed. Crimp dies dont generally come with pistol dies for that reason unless its a round that requires it, I believe.

attrapereves

I wasn't crimping any semi-auto bullets, but you do have to be very careful with revolver loads.

Performance is great as long as the velocity is under 1100fps. Some 9mm loads, and most 10mm loads are over that velocity. I loaded some 180gr 10mm loads with Berrys around 1150fps and got slight keyholing. Once I lowered it back down below 1100, they were fine. I stick with jacketed bullets for my faster calibers.

G22shooter

Campaign Veteran
I wasn't crimping any semi-auto bullets, but you do have to be very careful with revolver loads.

Performance is great as long as the velocity is under 1100fps. Some 9mm loads, and most 10mm loads are over that velocity. I loaded some 180gr 10mm loads with Berrys around 1150fps and got slight keyholing. Once I lowered it back down below 1100, they were fine. I stick with jacketed bullets for my faster calibers.

attrapereves -- you seem pretty sure of this 1100fps thing, but like I said -- I've never had a problem and I'm no newbie to reloading. In my pistol and with Blue Dot powder, Berry's bullets have been awesome. I have had much better groups and much better accuracy to point of aim than with other bullets.

I guess that's why there's chocolate and vanilla. ;)

attrapereves

attrapereves -- you seem pretty sure of this 1100fps thing, but like I said -- I've never had a problem and I'm no newbie to reloading. In my pistol and with Blue Dot powder, Berry's bullets have been awesome. I have had much better groups and much better accuracy to point of aim than with other bullets.

I guess that's why there's chocolate and vanilla. ;)

I definitely agree about the accuracy bit. I've tried different types of bullets for my 32ACP, but the Berrys always seem to be the most accurate.

smlawrence

We usually make sure our total equals 1000rds for free shipping. A little of this and a little of that... Lol. Great ballistics on them as well.

drew9

We usually make sure our total equals 1000rds for free shipping. A little of this and a little of that... Lol. Great ballistics on them as well.

Awesome, I've book marked your site. I might be making use of it soon, seeing as I just bought 1000 brass, and have no bullets yet :)