• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

BREAKING: CO Supreme Court rules against CU gun ban.

luv_jeeps

Campaign Veteran
Woohoo!!!!!!!!!!!!!

denver (ap) - the colorado supreme court has sided with opponents of a campus gun ban at the university of colorado who claimed the ban is illegal because it was not approved by the legislature.

The court ruled monday that lawmakers intended to take away the authority of the board of regents to regulate concealed handgun possession on campus.

Opponents said lawmakers would have listed universities as exceptions in a law passed in 2003 if they wanted guns banned on campus.

The concealed carry act prohibits local governments from limiting concealed carry rights, with the only exceptions being k-12 schools, places where federal law bans it, public buildings with metal detectors and private property where owners object to concealed weapons.

http://www.9news.com/news/local/article/253933/346/Court-rules-against-campus-gun-ban-

Last edited:

luv_jeeps

Campaign Veteran
So what happens now?
Not being a legal beagle, at the end of the opinion, they mention that the case be "remanded with proceedings consistent with this opinion."

Does that mean that the case still has to go back to the Court of Appeals for more discussion?

Gunslinger

So what happens now?
Not being a legal beagle, at the end of the opinion, they mention that the case be "remanded with proceedings consistent with this opinion."

Does that mean that the case still has to go back to the Court of Appeals for more discussion?

Goes back to the original jurisdiction to reverse the decision in line with CSC findings. Basically, a rubber stamp for the SC decision.

davidmcbeth

Banned
Student interviews about guns on campus.

I find it beyond comprehension how that one student points to Columbine and VT as examples of why guns should not be allowed on campus. That rule seemed to work so well for them, didn't it?

O2

Oh Gavin ... do some more dope ... think Ruby Ridge, Waco, Rodney King, Hurricane Katrina etc etc etc ..

And Sarang ... I really was not paying attention to your speech, I was focused more on your video ... forgive me .. nice

Gavin will be found dead with a dildo in his rectum ... that's a too-bad :( Then he'll change his mind "I'm FOR gun access .. I'm FOR gun access.."

FTG-05

Not any more... but it's still closer than it Should be. :)

In a victory for gun-rights advocates, the Colorado Supreme Court struck down the University of Colorado's campus gun ban on Monday, read a related article. Do you think permitted students should be allowed to carry concealed guns on college campuses in Colorado?

Total Votes = 3221
Yes.
1790 Votes, or 55.57 %

No.
1376 Votes, or 42.71 %

I don't know.
55 Votes, or 1.707 %

Read more: Colorado Supreme Court affirms that CU students with permits can carry concealed guns on campus - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/breakingnews/ci_20104814#ixzz1oMOZa3GA
Read The Denver Post's Terms of Use of its content: http://www.denverpost.com/termsofuse

O2HeN2

To bring this directly on topic, how could/would/should this decision affect OC on campus?
Lacking a local ordnance to the contrary and lots of signs banning open carry, it is allowed. Local ordinances need to be researched, but I seriously anything exists [at this moment] because of the total ban that has been in place until now.

The only way OC could be banned on the entire campus is if Boulder tries to go the "home rule" route of Denver. They could ban open carry in all buildings after spending a fortune for signs for every door for every building.

O2

Deserteagle8338

Student interviews about guns on campus.

I find it beyond comprehension how that one student points to Columbine and VT as examples of why guns should not be allowed on campus. That rule seemed to work so well for them, didn't it?

O2

Quote from a liberal on that video "I would rather use my own abilities to protect myself from a person with a gun than have somebody else with a gun protect me"

What abilities are these? Bringing your fists to a gun fight? Idiots! Good old Boulder....

rushcreek2

I am proud of the Colorado Supreme Court - and proud to be a Coloradoan.

Now that this matter has been settled students and staff can get back to learning and teaching.

The hysterical calamities so direly forecast by the opposition will never occur, and within a week no one will even be thinking about "concealed carry on campus" - unless some lunatic is foolish enough to think he can repeat VA Tech in Colorado - where it ain't gonna happen.

since9

Campaign Veteran
Good for the Colorado State Supreme Court!

Apparently, they're now fully aware of the law. They should review their botched 50/50 ruling on Denver's "home rule" fiasco.

By the way, the poll was replaced with another one about some smoking ban. I guess the Libtard Denver Post couldn't stand the thought that more people are for our 2A rights than against them.