• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Royal Oak Restaurant Association (RORA) Eighth Annual Wine Stroll

PDinDetroit

I was reading the City of Royal Oak City Commission Agenda for 4/16/2012 (tonight) and found the following information.

How could a person who OC's without a CPL know about these types of events with "one day special liquor licenses" which could possibly result in a violation of MCL 750.234d? They have checked out the Michigan LCC Licensees to ensure that they do not enter the premises of a Establishment Licensed under the MI LCC, but now that Business has a one-day special license and they are opened to a possible Legal Issue.

II. Description of Event
The Royal Oak Restaurant Association, in partnership with the DDA, will host the 8th annual “Wine Stroll” event in downtown Royal Oak. Participants will sample signature wines and featured hors d’oeuvres from approximately 20 participating restaurant and retail locations. Event proceeds will benefit the Boys & Girls Club of South Oakland County.

Organizers anticipate the number of attendees at approximately 1,500.

XIV. Food and Beverage Service
All wine and food sampling will take place within participating establishments. Retail locations participating will obtain the required one-day liquor license permit through the State of Michigan.

Participant’s identification will be checked at the event check-in prior to being issued a lanyard as well as by TIPS trained servers when purchasing alcohol at the participating venues. Beverages containing alcohol will be served only inside participating locations, not on the street.

http://www.ci.royal-oak.mi.us/porta...meetings/City Commission/2012/0416-103-12.pdf

http://legislature.mi.gov/doc.aspx?mcl-750-234d

http://www2.dleg.state.mi.us/llist/

PDinDetroit

That would be a good place to start with a test case. These situations are so dumb..perfect reason 234d needs to be changed/eliminated.

Do not disagree.

Just how would someone know when one of these "one day special licenses" is obtained, other than the fact that I stumbled upon this?

TheQ

That would be a good place to start with a test case. These situations are so dumb..perfect reason 234d needs to be changed/eliminated.

From a pragmatic point, I don't see MCL 750.234d being touched until we get to constitutional carry. Even the pro-gun legislators we have aren't willing to touch something that doesn't involve training. MCL 750.234d involves non-CPL carry.

I'm willing to try to work it next session, but I don't see how we can get a removal of 750.234d when we're having a fun time getting something that involves not only the training with a CPL but EXTRA training to fly through.

NHCGRPR45

Yes, this could certainly be a big problem for someone who happens to be WPWT. How to fix it is indeed a much harder question? Is it even legal to grant a 1 day Liquor license?