• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Bloomberg Gets Told.. BY AN ABC REPORTER!

Jack House

[video=youtube;w8es6M_9HKk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8es6M_9HKk[/video]

That. Was. EPIC! :monkey

Motofixxer

And a woman too haha (No offense intended to any women, they just tend to know less about firearms. I fully support women sporting firearms and definitely encourage it)

sudden valley gunner

Hahaha, what a doofus!

Apparently he hasn't heard of a G18.

I don't hunt (although I love the meat!) so hunters correct me if I am wrong but most hunters I know would consider it a bad kill if it takes more than 1 round?

Jack House

Hahaha, what a doofus!

I don't hunt (although I love the meat!) so hunters correct me if I am wrong but most hunters I know would consider it a bad kill if it takes more than 1 round?
I think it'd be a miracle if you threw 3 bullets down range at the same deer and still managed to kill it.

nobama

Hahaha, what a doofus!

Most deer or any game for that matter are killed with one shot,but sometimes it may take a second shot to dispatch the animal, very rarely 3. Its the ethical thing to do. Nothing upsets me more than to wound and lose an animal, but it happens. I wish bloomberg would just disappear, what a tyrant!!

motoxmann

tis true, typically 1 shot is all that's needed. occasionally though the deer or other large game will make it's way on the run if the first shot isn't placed well enough, then you have to track it, and usually you'll end up finding it downed somewhere but still alive and need to finish it with a 2nd shot. and on rare occasions you never find it.

also to note, .223 and 5.56mm are rarely used for deer hunting because they are NOT LETHAL ENOUGH.
.223/5.56 are meant for small game (aka varmint), not anything 150lbs or larger

SavageOne

Actually I hunt with a single shot .223 and have no problem harvesting deer with it. I also know that this year a friend's boy took his first deer and used a .223. I also know of many urbanites who come down to the country and seem to believe "spray and pray" is the only way to hunt. Look I'm not saying multiple shots are not sometimes required for an animal on the run, nor am I knocking someone who empties a mag. shooting through heavy brush I have done both, but these "hunters who only fire their guns the day before season( if that, actually saw a guy who paid a guy to laser bore sight his gun and then hit the woods without ever firing it himself) need more practice. I know my gun well, I know how it shoots under every condition and sometimes I have to pass on shots due to the limitations of it. That knowledge comes from practicing and using my firearm, and includes all my firearms, not just the ones I hunt with, but the ones I use for protection as well.

OldCurlyWolf

Actually I hunt with a single shot .223 and have no problem harvesting deer with it. I also know that this year a friend's boy took his first deer and used a .223. I also know of many urbanites who come down to the country and seem to believe "spray and pray" is the only way to hunt. Look I'm not saying multiple shots are not sometimes required for an animal on the run, nor am I knocking someone who empties a mag. shooting through heavy brush I have done both, but these "hunters who only fire their guns the day before season( if that, actually saw a guy who paid a guy to laser bore sight his gun and then hit the woods without ever firing it himself) need more practice. I know my gun well, I know how it shoots under every condition and sometimes I have to pass on shots due to the limitations of it. That knowledge comes from practicing and using my firearm, and includes all my firearms, not just the ones I hunt with, but the ones I use for protection as well.

While I have no problem with anyone using a singleshot to hunt with, I do have a disagreement with your choice of caliber. In my opinion, and in many states it is illegal, deer should not be hunted with any of the .22's, i.e., the .222, .222 magnum, .221, .22 fireball, .22 hornet nor the .223/5.56, etc.. I don't think a .243 is sufficient for most full grown whitetail nor for mulies, though it may well suffice for Pacific Blacktail.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
While I have no problem with anyone using a singleshot to hunt with, I do have a disagreement with your choice of caliber. In my opinion, and in many states it is illegal, deer should not be hunted with any of the .22's, i.e., the .222, .222 magnum, .221, .22 fireball, .22 hornet nor the .223/5.56, etc.. I don't think a .243 is sufficient for most full grown whitetail nor for mulies, though it may well suffice for Pacific Blacktail.

Finally someone at least mentions that there are many different size deer in various parts of the country. There are also many places in the country where the only shot you will get will be less than 75 yards on a deer that weighs less than 100 pounds.

There is no firm yes or no on whether the .223 is good for deer or not. It might be fine in your part of the country. The most important thing is to use the right bullet. The cartridge got its bad reputation because a lot of people were using varmint or target bullets that were disintegrating or not expanding at all, and working with limited effectiveness. With a proper big game bullet, the .223 will properly deliver its 1200 ft.-lbs.

Funny how a lot of people who swear you shouldn't use a .223 rifle don't have an issue with using a .44 HANDGUN. You also realize there are still people taking deer with arrows, too, right? You simply work within the limitations of what you are carrying. If we spent as much energy telling poor hunters HOW to use a .223 to hunt as we did telling them it is a bad choice, there'd be a lot fewer problems.

I use a .308 or .30-06 in NV because the ranges are long on a lot of the available shots, and the mule deer aren't tiny. But when I go to Texas, where my friend's land presents us a fixed 70-yard shot on a 100# whitetail, the .223 is very popular because it is very effective under those limitations.

nobama

Finally someone at least mentions that there are many different size deer in various parts of the country. There are also many places in the country where the only shot you will get will be less than 75 yards on a deer that weighs less than 100 pounds.

There is no firm yes or no on whether the .223 is good for deer or not. It might be fine in your part of the country. The most important thing is to use the right bullet. The cartridge got its bad reputation because a lot of people were using varmint or target bullets that were disintegrating or not expanding at all, and working with limited effectiveness. With a proper big game bullet, the .223 will properly deliver its 1200 ft.-lbs.

Funny how a lot of people who swear you shouldn't use a .223 rifle don't have an issue with using a .44 HANDGUN. You also realize there are still people taking deer with arrows, too, right? You simply work within the limitations of what you are carrying. If we spent as much energy telling poor hunters HOW to use a .223 to hunt as we did telling them it is a bad choice, there'd be a lot fewer problems.

I use a .308 or .30-06 in NV because the ranges are long on a lot of the available shots, and the mule deer aren't tiny. But when I go to Texas, where my friend's land presents us a fixed 70-yard shot on a 100# whitetail, the .223 is very popular because it is very effective under those limitations.

I agree, I own a 30-30 and two 243s and the 243 from what I have witnessed is far superior than the 30-30. I LOVE a 243 for deer,makes insides turn to jelly,not much recoil and they dont go far at all if hit right. I think range is the key. I wouldnt shoot past 250yds with a 243,but my shots are 100 or less. 223 also will drop off qucker than say a 270 but is still deadly in its range.

Aknazer

I have an uncle who is known for unloading his whole shotgun at deer and still having them get away or having to wait until they bleed out. One year the deer was so wounded that it couldn't make it over a fence and he had to slit it's throat to put it out of its misery (got tangled in the barbed wire fence). So having extra rounds can always help...

Keylock

Back on topic... nice to see a reporter correct his intentional misinformation.

davidmcbeth

Banned
Sounds like Bloomberg is OK with me hunting deer with my mortar .. 1 shot, 1 kill .. every-time

Bloomberg is an idiot ... and his NYC folks keep on voting him in; NYC could fall into the ocean I would not shed one tear.

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA

Seriously?
What makes you a ballistics expert?
My preferred round is a 22-250, the same .224 diameter projectile you question as capable. Kinda funny how all but one deer dropped in its tracks with that round, the only one that didn't was a buck on the run that leaped and face-planted into a slide for a few yards.
I have had to track down deer taken with my 30-06, but not with my little .224 52 grain projectiles.

sudden valley gunner

Most deer or any game for that matter are killed with one shot,but sometimes it may take a second shot to dispatch the animal, very rarely 3. Its the ethical thing to do. Nothing upsets me more than to wound and lose an animal, but it happens. I wish bloomberg would just disappear, what a tyrant!!

I absolutely agree it's the ethical thing to do. Most hunters I know would be upset at themselves for not minimizing the suffering an animal would undergo or tainting the meat with adrenaline. Thank you for the clarification as I am not a hunter and have a hard enough time gutting fish I catch. (weak stomach).

By my place there is a summer cottage/campground mostly occupied by Metropolitan Canadians, I hit a deer one time with my car, happened to have a .22 rifle in the trunk, and put the deer out of his misery, broken collar(?) bone, should have seen the outrage of the Canadians and the weeping of the woman folk, threats of them calling the police. I didn't know if it was because I was able to carry weapons with me or the killing of the deer or the combination of both that made them irate. I called the Sheriffs office first to head off any misconceptions, the deputy told me thanks I just saved his fellow deputies from filing extra paper work.

OldCurlyWolf

Seriously?
What makes you a ballistics expert?
My preferred round is a 22-250, the same .224 diameter projectile you question as capable. Kinda funny how all but one deer dropped in its tracks with that round, the only one that didn't was a buck on the run that leaped and face-planted into a slide for a few yards.
I have had to track down deer taken with my 30-06, but not with my little .224 52 grain projectiles.

You don't have to agree. But in many states hunting deer with your 22-250 will get you a fine, maybe some jail time and you will lose your rifle.

Personally I won't use anything smaller than a .257 Roberts.

John Canuck

Aren't the police in NY routinely shooting people multiple times? They must be pretty lousy shots. Bloomers is unfit to make decisions for himself, let alone anyone else.