• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

empty holster stink eye?

pawn99

So i've been ocing. I dont have my cpl yet. I started ocing on wed. Starting out i been ocing while outside on my lawn while taking my dog out or just enjoying the day. On wed i went to walmart to get a few things and pizza hut i orderd inside and took food to go ( wing night!) Lol i disarmed cause pizza hut and walmart sell alcohol and without a cpl i cany carry their. So i just left my holster on. While ordering the lady taking my order was super nice not even a glance at my holster. I figured she didnt notice. Their was a employee who stood next to her. He kept looking at my holster then looking back at me giving me a stink eye. Im like whatever. I go to walmart to pick up a few things and i got major stink eyes. I even over heard a older lady asking the lady she was with if i had a gun. But my holster was empty! Lol. I actully found it funny to see some peoples reactions even with a empty holster. I bet it happens more when im carrying. Does this ever happen to any of you? Lol

Michigander

You will need to work on a confident, reassuring and preferably professional demeanor, and you need to understand that you will be getting questioned, complimented, and hated on at times by the general public. Most won't notice, but many will. It is part of the game. Being confident, knowing how to talk and present yourself, and worst case knowing how to fight, are all crucial aspects of OCing. If it bothers you, no one says you have to go 0 to 100% with OCing. You can ease into it at whatever pace you'd like. Most do.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
I've been tempted to get a nice T-shirt lettered front and back: "I'm carrying a gun for self-defense. You can, too."

That ought to send the old biddies into orbit. :)

smellslikemichigan

Campaign Veteran
I've been tempted to get a nice T-shirt lettered front and back: "I'm carrying a gun for self-defense. You can, too."

my wife and i were approached by a nice old biddy while we were grocery shopping tonight. guess what? she was pro gun! she didn't have one anymore, but she thought it was great that i was carrying.... she was talking to my wife and didn't even notice that she was carrying too until we pointed it out to her. :dude: she got even more excited to see a young woman carrying.
in the same store an older gentleman approached me and thanked me for open carrying and standing up for our rights. hey, even Maya Angelou is pro gun.

Last edited:

FORD78

I had same results at tractor supply cashier CCs away from work of course, but she said she was very interested in OC but just hadnt got the "balls" to do so yet. I directed her to this site havent been back there yet to get her opinion on site. Said she also seen an elderly woman late 70s early 80s OC in the store a few weeks back.

pawn99

You will need to work on a confident, reassuring and preferably professional demeanor, and you need to understand that you will be getting questioned, complimented, and hated on at times by the general public. Most won't notice, but many will. It is part of the game. Being confident, knowing how to talk and present yourself, and worst case knowing how to fight, are all crucial aspects of OCing. If it bothers you, no one says you have to go 0 to 100% with OCing. You can ease into it at whatever pace you'd like. Most do.

Yea which that makes sense. Guess it takes time to adjust too :p

pawn99

Thats a damn good idea! I want one now lol.

SpringerXDacp

So i've been ocing. I dont have my cpl yet. I started ocing on wed. Starting out i been ocing while outside on my lawn while taking my dog out or just enjoying the day. On wed i went to walmart to get a few things and pizza hut i orderd inside and took food to go ( wing night!) Lol i disarmed cause pizza hut and walmart sell alcohol and without a cpl i cany carry their. So i just left my holster on. While ordering the lady taking my order was super nice not even a glance at my holster. I figured she didnt notice. Their was a employee who stood next to her. He kept looking at my holster then looking back at me giving me a stink eye. Im like whatever. I go to walmart to pick up a few things and i got major stink eyes. I even over heard a older lady asking the lady she was with if i had a gun. But my holster was empty! Lol. I actully found it funny to see some peoples reactions even with a empty holster. I bet it happens more when im carrying. Does this ever happen to any of you? Lol

Next time, just stick a banana in it. :banana:

bananna_in_holster.jpg

ron73440

Quick question, in MI you cannot carry where alcohol is sold?

In NC you can't carry "where sold and consumed" which sucks bad enough, but that really sucks.

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
Quick question, in MI you cannot carry where alcohol is sold?

In NC you can't carry "where sold and consumed" which sucks bad enough, but that really sucks.

Without a Concealed Pistol License, a person may not possess a firearm at an establishment licensed to sell alcohol.

Michigan severely limits where a person can oc... without a cpl. If a person DOES have a cpl, Michigan is probably one of the best places to open carry. A person with a CPL can legally OC just about everywhere... bars, schools, etc. (Everywhere except courtrooms/court offices and those areas covered under Federal Law.)

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/msp/MSP_Legal_Update_No._86_2_336854_7.pdf

Last edited:

FreeInAZ

Without a Concealed Pistol License, a person may not possess a firearm at an establishment licensed to sell alcohol.

Michigan severely limits where a person can oc... without a cpl. If a person DOES have a cpl, Michigan is probably one of the best places to open carry. A person with a CPL can legally OC just about everywhere... bars, schools, etc. (Everywhere except courtrooms/court offices and those areas covered under Federal Law.)

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/msp/MSP_Legal_Update_No._86_2_336854_7.pdf

To those reading this be advised: while the law is very clear to many in MI with a 6th graders reading level or above. There are Judges in MI who see it differently. Carry at your own peril should you be in -Their "kingdom" :eek:

Lansing & Judge Rosie come to mind.... not right, but that's just the way it is....

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
To those reading this be advised: while the law is very clear to many in MI with a 6th graders reading level or above. There are Judges in MI who see it differently. Carry at your own peril should you be in -Their "kingdom" :eek:

Lansing & Judge Rosie come to mind.... not right, but that's just the way it is....

Could happen at almost anytime with ANY law.
BTW, that part of her ruling was dicta... she found him "not guilty" for another reason. Yes, I know this case keeps rearing its ugly head. Because it was dicta and that the defendant won his case and therefore had no grounds for appeal, this case should not be given any more value than her opinion regarding the whole CADL drama. No... wait, that one was actually part of an opinion which was subsequently overruled so that case actually had some value.

Last edited:

mikestilly

Could happen at almost anytime with ANY law.
BTW, that part of her ruling was dicta... she found him "not guilty" for another reason. Yes, I know this case keeps rearing its ugly head. Because it was dicta and that the defendant won his case and therefore had no grounds for appeal, this case should not be given any more value than her opinion regarding the whole CADL drama. No... wait, that one was actually part of an opinion which was subsequently overruled so that case actually had some value.

It's seems most of the conversations on OCDO are all off topic due to the lack of posting any involvement in posting then from the same few people. As I have no idea what talking about CADL and the law and getting stink eye at Walmart have in common. I'll not add the comment to DrTodds or AZs previous OT posts but I will comment on the OP.

Don't worry about getting stink eyes from people OC'ing armed or just an empty holster. I tend to find that very few people in public even notice that you're OC'ing let alone give you dirty looks for doing it. Personally, I have encountered very few negative reactions from open carrying and I tend to do it on a daily basis. There is a rare occasion that someone comes at you negatively and I've always found it a good opportunity to try an educate people who don't understand it. There is also always a chance that the person could care less, or just wanted to be rude, negative or nasty. For those people I simply ignore them and continue with what I was doing. If I'm asked to leave I do so immediately and never go back to the place again. So far I've been asked to to leave an establishment once when OC'ing at a bar with 5 others by an on duty officer (all of us had CPLs). After we explained the law to him an he called it in to ask (because he had no idea) he let us go back in. The owner proceeded to then tell us he didnt want us there so we left with our food. (have never been back there).

All an all if you're dressed right, acting normal, going about your business, you will rarely run in to negative encounters. But as always be ready for anything and know how to react properly if something were to come up with other customers, employees, or law enforcement. The good thing is more and more officers understand open carry like never before which helps our cause.

Mike

mikestilly

If your intention was to OC and bring as much attention to yourself as possible I guess that would fulfill it's purpose. Definitely not something I'd do or recommend or been tempted to do myself.

pawn99

If your intention was to OC and bring as much attention to yourself as possible I guess that would fulfill it's purpose. Definitely not something I'd do or recommend or been tempted to do myself.

True. I dont want Attention

FreeInAZ

@Mike [...] DrTodd was commenting on the legal areas one can/should be able to open carry in MI. My post was a notice that there are activist judges that ignore the law so open carry in a sporting event, bar, etc.. maybe legal it is also important to know where you are at and what the judges in that area have done in the past to open carriers. [...] Since you are a man of conviction's I am sure you are more than willing to OC at a MSU sporting event correct?

COMMENTS EDITED BY ADMINISTRATOR: Personal attack

Last edited by a moderator:

Michigander

True. I dont want Attention

Two facts for your consideration. OCing has two, and only two benefits. One is drawing attention. Both to the pro gun cause, getting people talking, both to you and others. The other side of that attention is that it scares 99% of bad guys into wanting to get the hell out of your vicinity as fast as possible.

The other fact is that mikestilly has himself made pro gun t shirts to take to events and sell. I would firmly stand behind the idea of a shirt that explains what you're doing and why, at least if you'd be comfortable wearing one, and I'm honestly rather surprised that mike isn't more into the idea.

Last edited: