• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Running for City Council!

skeith5

I have decided to run for City Council for Arlington, WA. How is this open carry related you ask? Well, I promise not to support any ordinances prohibiting carrying of a firearm and if an armed citizen comes into the meeting I promise not to walk out!

I was really hoping to get some more likes for my facebook page as well...

https://www.facebook.com/ScottKeithForCityCouncil

Hopefully this isn't too off topic.

Jeff Hayes

I have decided to run for City Council for Arlington, WA. How is this open carry related you ask? Well, I promise not to support any ordinances prohibiting carrying of a firearm and if an armed citizen comes into the meeting I promise not to walk out!

Thank you Sir, more of need to do what you are doing.

skeith5

Will you be OCing in council?

Oh... the hard question comes out. I will probably CC. I do OC around town, however for campaigning I will not be OC'ing. I don't want it to be a distraction, and I don't want to lose votes over it. Is that a politician's answer or what? I believe there is a time and a place for everything and I don't see that OC'ing in council will do anything to advance the cause. Maybe I'm wrong, I don't hide the fact that I'm pro-gun but I also like being pragmatic. If I am elected and people OC to the city council meetings I will make it a point to point out that I'm 100% in favor of it.

Scott

Alpine

Oh... the hard question comes out. I will probably CC. I do OC around town, however for campaigning I will not be OC'ing. I don't want it to be a distraction, and I don't want to lose votes over it. Is that a politician's answer or what? I believe there is a time and a place for everything and I don't see that OC'ing in council will do anything to advance the cause. Maybe I'm wrong, I don't hide the fact that I'm pro-gun but I also like being pragmatic. If I am elected and people OC to the city council meetings I will make it a point to point out that I'm 100% in favor of it.

Scott

I guess I can understand why you wouldn't necessarily do it while campaigning, there's a lot of stupid people out there, but if you win and you're a good council member I wouldn't see the harm in OCing while in council, that way it would help pre-emptively shut the antis up and make citizens feel supported rather than them not knowing until they might happen to ask you. Most people I've met on Earth don't generally walk up to someone and ask them how they feel about open carry of firearms unless they actually SEE them OCing, which makes the question moot at that point.

It's also a bit odd you're here on an OC forum asking for support for an elected position but you won't OC while executing that position...

I do get your point that you'd probably be better for us than some crazy anti-freedom liberal but it does seem a bit weird. As you said, your answers does sound like a politician's answer. ;)

But hey, I guess politics is the art of the possible, not necessarily the optimal. More power to you... unless there's an opposing candidate running who actually WILL open carry. :lol:

Last edited:

skeith5

Open carrying isn't the only issue that's important to me, and is likely not an issue that I will face on the city council. I posted because I have met a lot of people from here in person and consider them friends. I don't know much about the politics of the person who I'm running against, maybe she's liberal, maybe not.

Scott

jmac1911

"STICK TO YOUR GUNS" Good Luck :exclaim:

davidmcbeth

Banned

Don't forget to check your opponents petitions to knock them off the ballot ... unopposed is the easiest campaign to run !

Good luck.

hermannr

Ok Scott!

I have two adult daughters (and families) in Arlington...give me your sales pitch and I may pass it on (that's 4 votes)

gsx1138

I had to google it because I've never heard of Arlington.

I could never run for office mainly because I have no problem saying absurd **** to point out the absurdity of someone elses argument. Sarcasm doesn't do well in politics.