• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Moving from KS to OK fairly soon....CCW Questions!

DWCook

Activist Member
I have currently a Kansas conceal permit and have no idea how to transfer to where I get a Oklahoma carry. I am moving down for a job with a friend of mine and will most likely stay down here for some years. If I turn in my license before moving will I have to go through the pains of re-applying for a permit and such?

hrdware

I have currently a Kansas conceal permit and have no idea how to transfer to where I get a Oklahoma carry. I am moving down for a job with a friend of mine and will most likely stay down here for some years. If I turn in my license before moving will I have to go through the pains of re-applying for a permit and such?

If you keep your KS license you will be able to carry in OK.

In OK, you have to take the safety course and go through the application process regardless if you have a license from another state or not.

DWCook

Activist Member
If you keep your KS license you will be able to carry in OK.

In OK, you have to take the safety course and go through the application process regardless if you have a license from another state or not.

If I'm moving there don't you have to get that states license after so many days? Also since I be moving my address would be a Oklahoma Address and not a Kansas address, how would that work?

Glock 1st fan

Well the license itself (Seperate from the law just talking about the card itself) falls under the same requirements as a state issued I.D. You are supposed to change it over within so many days but I dont recall how many. However whos to determine you have fully moved in yet? Whos to say you dont have a residence here your moving in to and just staying with parents or friends in Kansas? Even if you have no recourse but to admit you now reside here whos to say you did not just move in yesterday?

Go ahead and apply for the SDA card here and hold on to your Kansas card until you get your new one. Just stay low.

cbxer55

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I like your way of thinking. Exactly! I moved out from my wife, at her request, nine months ago. Never have changed my driver's license of CCW address as of yet. Who's to say I did not just move yesterday?? ;-)LOL!!

Last edited:

DWCook

Activist Member
Well then, I guess I will play this game too! But I'm still going to find out what all I have to do to change my stuff to Oklahoma later on. Won't run around with a Kansas permit forever you know, might bite me in the rear later on.

hrdware

Well the license itself (Seperate from the law just talking about the card itself) falls under the same requirements as a state issued I.D. You are supposed to change it over within so many days but I dont recall how many. However whos to determine you have fully moved in yet? Whos to say you dont have a residence here your moving in to and just staying with parents or friends in Kansas? Even if you have no recourse but to admit you now reside here whos to say you did not just move in yesterday?

Go ahead and apply for the SDA card here and hold on to your Kansas card until you get your new one. Just stay low.

This is only partially correct. If you have an Oklahoma License and you move, you are required to tell OSBI what your new address is within a given time.

However since the OP will be moving with an out of state license, there is no law requiring the OSBI to be notified or that license to be converted to an OK license. There are many people that are OK residents but carry on another states non-resident license.

hrdware

Well then, I guess I will play this game too! But I'm still going to find out what all I have to do to change my stuff to Oklahoma later on. Won't run around with a Kansas permit forever you know, might bite me in the rear later on.

There are Oklahoman's who carry on non-resident permits from other states, being an OK resident and having an out of state permit is not an issue.

In order to get an OK license, you have to take a safety course taught by an Oklahoma SDA instructor, then fill out the application, turn it in with the fees, fingerprints, and passport photos, and wait for 3 months or so.

Glock 1st fan

I think you diddnt read my post.....

This is only partially correct. If you have an Oklahoma License and you move, you are required to tell OSBI what your new address is within a given time.

However since the OP will be moving with an out of state license, there is no law requiring the OSBI to be notified or that license to be converted to an OK license. There are many people that are OK residents but carry on another states non-resident license.

DWCook

Activist Member
Okay before I get really confused here, so it's okay to have an out of state permit with a state license? I'm only concerned because I will have to do an address change and I thought that would cause an issue with an out of state permit? Considering I have to get the state license card soon after, my out of state permit wont matter? So just modify my address? My apologies if I sound confusing by any means :( :( :(

Robert318

Okay before I get really confused here, so it's okay to have an out of state permit with a state license? I'm only concerned because I will have to do an address change and I thought that would cause an issue with an out of state permit? Considering I have to get the state license card soon after, my out of state permit wont matter? So just modify my address? My apologies if I sound confusing by any means :( :( :(

This is from the current OK SDA Law
http://www.ok.gov/osbi/documents/SDA_Lawbook_NOV_2012.pdf

TITLE 21 § 1290.26 RECIPROCAL AGREEMENT AUTHORITY

The State of Oklahoma hereby recognizes any valid concealed or unconcealed carry weapons permit or license issued by another state.
Any person entering this state in possession of a firearm authorized for concealed or unconcealed carry upon the authority and license of another state is authorized to continue to carry a concealed or unconcealed firearm and license in this state; provided the license from the other state remains valid. The firearm must either be carried unconcealed or concealed from detection and view, and upon coming in contact with any peace officer of this state, the person must disclose the fact that he or she is in possession of a concealed or unconcealed firearm pursuant to a valid concealed or unconcealed carry weapons permit or license issued in another state. Any person who is twenty-one (21) years of age or older having a valid firearm license from another state may apply for a handgun license in this state immediately upon establishing a residence in this state.

The way I understand it is as long as your Kansas license remains valid in Kansas your ok in OK and under OK license laws not exactly sure were it specifically states such, but that something like you have 60 or 90 days to transfer your out of state drivers license to an Ok license after you astablish a permanent OK residency. And Im not sure what rules surround your Kansas residency, drivers or handgun license laws but again as long as your KS handgun permit is considered valid in KS your fine. But here is a link to Ok statutes for your own research on transfer of drivers license requirements.
http://www.oscn.net/applications/OCISWeb/index.asp?level=1&ftdb=STOKST

I'm not a lawyer and this info should not be considered legal advise but is my interpretation and understanding of related laws.

Glock 1st fan

really there is not a whole lot to be confused about. Like I said earlier and this is something I deal with almost daily so trust me. You have to modify your address on your drivers license with in so many days of you moving. The same goes for the SDA.

Now when you are in the process of moving then no you dont have to change anything because you still are technically residing in Kansas. For this reason you can stay at your new residence for the purpose of moving personal possesions in to your home. If you still claim residency (Which is defined by where you spend the majority of your time) in Kansas but are staying a week to move things in to your home then you would not be a resident of Oklahoma so your Kansas I.D. would cover you.

If you are stopped and they ask why you are living in Oklahoma with an out of state I.D. then all you would need to explain is you are still in the process of moving to Oklahoma your just unpacking belongings and so forth. You really dont have to worry about a trooper asking you to prove it by following you home.

This is not an uncommon situation because people live in Oklahoma and own beach houses in Florida. Does it mean they need to change their I.D. over when they spend a week in Florida?

Your Kansas card is honored in Oklahoma so you should have no issues. Like I said earlier just lay low until you get around to getting your SDA. it takes about 3 months to get it so just "Visit" Oklahoma for a while ;-)

hrdware

really there is not a whole lot to be confused about. Like I said earlier and this is something I deal with almost daily so trust me. You have to modify your address on your drivers license with in so many days of you moving. The same goes for the SDA.

I'm sorry but this is simply not true. With an Oklahoma drivers license, you have to go to a tag agency and modify your address in the DMV computer system but you do not have to get a new license. The same with the Oklahoma Handgun License, you have to notify OSBI of the new address, but you do not have to get a new handgun license.

Now when you are in the process of moving then no you dont have to change anything because you still are technically residing in Kansas. For this reason you can stay at your new residence for the purpose of moving personal possesions in to your home. If you still claim residency (Which is defined by where you spend the majority of your time) in Kansas but are staying a week to move things in to your home then you would not be a resident of Oklahoma so your Kansas I.D. would cover you.

If you are stopped and they ask why you are living in Oklahoma with an out of state I.D. then all you would need to explain is you are still in the process of moving to Oklahoma your just unpacking belongings and so forth. You really dont have to worry about a trooper asking you to prove it by following you home.

This is not an uncommon situation because people live in Oklahoma and own beach houses in Florida. Does it mean they need to change their I.D. over when they spend a week in Florida?

Your Kansas card is honored in Oklahoma so you should have no issues. Like I said earlier just lay low until you get around to getting your SDA. it takes about 3 months to get it so just "Visit" Oklahoma for a while ;-)

No need to "lay low until you get your OK SDA" either. OK honors the KS permit, doesn't matter what state your drivers license is from. As long as your KS permit is valid in KS then you are good in OK. You would have to check your KS laws to see if/when the KS permit becomes invalid, such as possibly getting a drivers license from another state. As soon as you establish residency in OK, you can take the class and apply for an OK permit.

After you finish moving, all you will need to do is get an OK drivers license, this will still cover your KS permit (as long as it remains valid in KS). Like I said, KS may not honor the permit once you change your residency status, you would need to check with KS on that.

Last edited:

Glock 1st fan

I'm sorry but this is simply not true. With an Oklahoma drivers license, you have to go to a tag agency and modify your address in the DMV computer system but you do not have to get a new license. The same with the Oklahoma Handgun License, you have to notify OSBI of the new address, but you do not have to get a new handgun license.

Well I stand corrected. It is 10 days to change over in the computer as mentioned. Sorry I havent actually dealt with the DPS side of things as I never worked state.

Last edited:

DWCook

Activist Member
So my permit is valid till 2015, does that mean when it does expire I'm going to have to completely re-do the whole process as if first applying for one? Or is there a way to transfer permit registration before it expires to where I'm not paying out for the permit fees twice? If possible would I be able to apply for one while my Kansas Permit is still valid just so I still have a valid permit while waiting?

Glock 1st fan

So my permit is valid till 2015, does that mean when it does expire I'm going to have to completely re-do the whole process as if first applying for one? Or is there a way to transfer permit registration before it expires to where I'm not paying out for the permit fees twice? If possible would I be able to apply for one while my Kansas Permit is still valid just so I still have a valid permit while waiting?

Yep when it expires you will have to go through the SDA course. There is no grandfather in.