• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC in Nevada

turborich

I was quite nervous open carrying at first but now that I've been doing it for a while it's no big deal. Went to the 99 cents store, WalMart and In&out burger the other day, went to Port of Subs today. Nobody says anything except for some of the younger folks. I used to answer them when they made a comment such as "damn, you got your strap on" or something similar. Now I just ignore it and act like I didn't hear it. After having an incident at a gas station with a thug who was armed (I wasn't) I have decided that a firearm will be with me at all times. If a couple of people don't like seeing it then it's too freaking bad and I don't really care. I see a couple of folks here and there who are OCing however it's still very rare. I would really like to see more of it.

The type of holster makes a big difference as well. I'm really liking this new Uncle Mikes reflex holster for the Glock 19. I feel that it's secure and I don't worry about somebody trying to grab it as much as I did with some of the other holsters.

vegaspassat

Re: NV OC - how did it go?

Spent the day with my girlfriend and went to Sura korean bbq right across the street from american shooters. If you like korean food, THIS is the place to go. Afterwards we went to the Clark County Wetlands Park. Yes, I OCd at a County Park! Not only that, but of all the things listed on the signs that you cant do, carrying a firearm is not on that list. Only a "no shooting" sign. If you have kids or just want to see some neat wildlife without going all the way to Mt Charleston I recommend this park. And it's free! Here is one of the MANY little bunnys that were running around
uploadfromtaptalk1372048748757.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1372048792341.jpg

Sorry for the crappy cell pics. We also saw a lot of different migratory water fowl as well.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

28kfps

Open carried in a Las Vegas nursing/rehab facility for the last few months visiting my mom. No problems. This weekend went in to pick up my mom to bring her home. One of the workers asked me if I was law enforcement. I said no, she asked why the gun I said it was legal. She said oh.
Then she said she use to work in LA and took care of Charleston Heston two and a half years before he died. I said really. She showed me a replica silver bullet with his signature engraved in it. She said she has several items he gave her along with pictures of her with him. She had copies of his speeches and one of his signed books.
She was proud of being able to care for him. Heston, very sick with dementia she said his last years he was quiet and kind, he like watching his movies. It was a pleasure to have her care for my mom, as she was a very compassionate and a professional caretaker.

wrightme

Open carried in a Las Vegas nursing/rehab facility for the last few months visiting my mom. No problems. This weekend went in to pick up my mom to bring her home. One of the workers asked me if I was law enforcement. I said no, she asked why the gun I said it was legal. She said oh.
Then she said she use to work in LA and took care of Charleston Heston two and a half years before he died. I said really. She showed me a replica silver bullet with his signature engraved in it. She said she has several items he gave her along with pictures of her with him. She had copies of his speeches and one of his signed books.
She was proud of being able to care for him. Heston, very sick with dementia she said his last years he was quiet and kind, he like watching his movies. It was a pleasure to have her care for my mom, as she was a very compassionate and a professional caretaker.

Good OC story. Especially meeting someone such as her.

jdholmes

NV OC - how did it go?

OC'd the last two days in Zion National Park, Utah.

Had a great time, not a single issue or even sideways glance from any of the park employees or folks at the restaurants and gas stations on the way.

One European guy was on the way up to Angels Landing while I was on my way down and said something to the effect of, "Why the gun?"

I said something like, "Why not? Just in case..." Or something like that...

In a thick accent he was like, "For Bears?"

I was waiting for my group or I would have just chuckled and kept going...instead I just went along, exhausted though I was...

"You never know...there are worse things than bears..."

"For muggers?" He says...I didn't understand that till the second time he said it...and by that time I was heading out and just left him with another, "You never know..."

That was literally the only person that seemed to even pay it any notice...
Even the shuttle bus was no issue...I did drop my mag before getting on, to stay in compliance with park rules, but I didn't notice them even looking for it...

Had a great time, FYI, despite the heat.

If you haven't done the Angels Landing hike - it's a once in a lifetime opportunity. Do yourself a favor and do it while you can.

vegaspassat

Yesterday I oc'd on freemont all through binions and and the D with no problems. Then we went to the souvenir shop on sahara and lvb. After being in there for about 20 minutes I was asked to leave. Other than that pretty uneventful day. Oh yeah, we went to the hoover dam and since I couldn't recall exactly what the laws were (and because we wanted to go inside) I just left the gun in the car.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
...we went to the hoover dam and since I couldn't recall exactly what the laws were (and because we wanted to go inside) I just left the gun in the car.

Good call. Hoover Dam is a federal facility, including the top of it.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Good call. Hoover Dam is a federal facility, including the top of it.
Federal facility = where federal employees regularly work & requires "no guns" signs per law applicable to NPS from the Fair Credit Reporting Act.
http://home.nps.gov/news/release.htm?id=962

Hoover Dam is directly under the Dept. of Interior via the Bureau of Reclamation. Have to wonder what effect, if any, that the recent change in NPS (also part if Dept. of Interior) gun rules might have on this.
http://www.usbr.gov/ http://www.usbr.gov/lc/hooverdam/

Thought that the top of Hoover Dam was a state highway and that the security there was private/contacted officers not federal employees.

Still all in all it appears that many OC and CC in crossing Hoover Dam w/o problems. Appreaciate that inside the dam is likely another matter.
http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?69912-Driving-across-the-Hoover-Dam

JoeSparky

Centurion
NV OC - how did it go?

Hoover dam was and is not included in the changes made to the National Parks. Reclamation had their own laws restricting carry.
I am so glad that the Feds are so willing to violate our constitutionally protected rights!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Federal facility = where federal employees regularly work & requires "no guns" signs per law applicable to NPS from the Fair Credit Reporting Act.
http://home.nps.gov/news/release.htm?id=962

Hoover Dam is directly under the Dept. of Interior via the Bureau of Reclamation. Have to wonder what effect, if any, that the recent change in NPS (also part if Dept. of Interior) gun rules might have on this.
http://www.usbr.gov/ http://www.usbr.gov/lc/hooverdam/

Thought that the top of Hoover Dam was a state highway and that the security there was private/contacted officers not federal employees.

Still all in all it appears that many OC and CC in crossing Hoover Dam w/o problems. Appreaciate that inside the dam is likely another matter.
http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?69912-Driving-across-the-Hoover-Dam

Hoover Dam does not fall under the National Park Service, so the new permissions that allow carry in surrounding Lake Mead National Recreation Area do not apply.

Do federal facilities require signage? Since Hoover Dam is not part of the "park," I actually don't know how to read your first sentence.

The top of Hoover Dam used to be the highway and guns were allowed in transportation in the vehicle without an issue made. Since the bypass bridge has been built for the highway, there is no public vehicular traffic on the top of the dam anymore. While Hoover Dam does have some contract security, there is also a federal police station there with active federal DOI police. I helped trained a few of them on rope-access techniques for body recovery.

Your last link uses an outdated cite that is no longer applicable, for the same reasons as I mentioned before in that vehicular traffic is no longer allowed on the dam. The "OC" experiences seemed to be limited to while in/on the vehicle/motorcycle. Again, no longer applicable.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Things change and obviously I am not up to date on the Hoover Dam - my bad.

I will defer to those more knowledgeable than I on the subject.

28kfps

Lower Colorado Dams Office
P.O. Box 60400
Boulder City, NV 89005
Phone: 702-494-2302
Fax: 702-494-2297
Area Manager: Vacant
The Bureau of Reclamation’s Lower Colorado Dams Office manages, operates and maintains Hoover, Davis and Parker Dams and their associated powerplants and facilities on the lower Colorado River.
Do not open carry on the bridge either. It also is under the Bureau of Reclamation, which appears to have their own set of laws. I believe it was maybe two years ago an open carry poster had a run in with one of the dam rangers. Do not remember the dam details.

vegaspassat

There is traffic allowed on and over the dam now fyi. We drove into the Arizona side and turned around so we could go back to the parking structure on the Nevada side

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
There is traffic allowed on and over the dam now...

Good point. There are parking lots on both sides. I should have specified that there is no through-traffic anymore for the highway. In any case, it is correct that you'd better leave the guns in the car. Regardless of how you are carrying in the car, there is no carry on your person while walking around on the top of the dam and its structures.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Can I bring a weapon across Hoover Dam?

No. The following list identifies some of the more common weapons that are prohibited:
Firearms, knives (other than kitchen utensils), pepper spray, brass knuckles, mace, batons.

This is NOT a complete list. The inspecting officers at Hoover Dam may use their professional discretion in identifying weapons and deny the vehicle access to the dam.

Additionally, knives of any kind and weapons are not allowed in the Visitor Center.
http://www.usbr.gov/lc/hooverdam/crossingguide.pdf

Last edited:

28kfps

Can I bring a weapon across Hoover Dam?

No. The following list identifies some of the more common weapons that are prohibited:
Firearms, knives (other than kitchen utensils), pepper spray, brass knuckles, mace, batons.

This is NOT a complete list. The inspecting officers at Hoover Dam may use their professional discretion in identifying weapons and deny the vehicle access to the dam.

Additionally, knives of any kind and weapons are not allowed in the Visitor Center.
http://www.usbr.gov/lc/hooverdam/crossingguide.pdf

Too bad we have to make such an effort to dance around so many agencies opinions of their own laws which is simply stated in the Second Amendment.
Just for info before the bypass bridge was built I had ridding my motorcycle over the dam several times stopping at the inspection booth to be waved past. South paw, my full size firearm on their side. Never said a word about the firearm. Can only assume it was their professional discretion at the time to allow me to proceed.

renoglock22

Went downtown Reno for the Chicken Wing festival and Artown at Wingfield park. Lots of looks but no problems from anyone. I know some officers saw it and they said nothing. I was expecting some sort of confrontation after people were saying they had problems at the Reno River Festival.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
...before the bypass bridge was built I had riding my motorcycle over the dam several times stopping at the inspection booth to be waved past. South paw, my full size firearm on their side. Never said a word about the firearm. ..

Before the bypass bridge, the dam was the US Route 93 highway. Firearms were allowed across, while in (on) the vehicle. At that time, security's only concern was things that could damage the dam. Now that the highway bypasses the dam, they have greater latitude in prohibiting weapons.

28kfps

OCed at the Pahrump Valley Speedway. I believe being Pahrump I may have been ok ocing an AR. No one cared about the firearm. It was a real kick. Talk about redneck racing. Mostly local Las Vegas and Pahrump race cars. They had to stop the main event to fix some of the lights that went off during the race. They had a 1972 beat up old Chevy pickup with a tow truck attachment in the bed that was the only track vehicle to remove the wrecks. He had two tires on the front to push with and they fell off. I will say this; the locals were very talent very fast, neck and neck racing only needed the old tow truck a few times. Great and cheap entertainment, Nothing like OCing with a beer, hamburger at the races.