• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

I go both ways!

Johnhenry

Both ways too

I carry "both ways" depending on the whens and wheres I go. CC, primarily as I dont like being the center of attraction. If OC becomes the general fashion then the populace will relax a bit and eventually it will be no big deal.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I carry "both ways" depending on the whens and wheres I go. CC, primarily as I dont like being the center of attraction. If OC becomes the general fashion then the populace will relax a bit and eventually it will be no big deal.

That is the Golden Chalice - it is also the Right thing to do. :)

RandomGS

After ten years not shooting, I decided to get my permit in Colorado. -been 15 years since I had a CCW. Cost in Colorado with training, about $300+ In my opinion, unconstitutional.
I have never liked the idea of Open Carry. I am positive that placing a gun on my hip, even with the best retention, makes me less safe. More open to crazies, more open to legal issues i.e. claims of threats, more open to general harassment. Back when I did have a permit, I believed people OC were a bit "off".
But I find myself of the opinion that more and more, we must fight to keep from losing our civil rights.
As a citizen, and ex-military, I guess its time for me to stand up. Take on a bit more personal risk to help protect our future citizens from the loss of our rights.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
... I believed people OC were a bit "off". ...

Considering most of the open carriers you saw were cops...

But, welcome to the forum! I'm not familiar with Colorado, but we have many here who are. OC is relatively common in NV and AZ, and not too rare in UT. You will learn a lot on this forum from those who actually do and reading about our experiences. Most anti-OC views are from assumptions and bad information.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Until I lost about 30% of my body weight, I regularly wore those suspenders. I can vouch for them.

They are generally available at Wal-Mart and Rural King.
Since I have lost about 30% of my body weight, I regularly wear those suspenders :lol:

Aztecking

I let my CC expire here in Oregon so I went and filled out the paperwork to renew and asked the nice lady at the Sheriffs office how long and when she said 3 months I thought "what am I going to do" and she said in the mean time I will just have to open carry. I have never done that and upon doing an Internet search found this forum so I could make sure I'm not doing anything wrong. I have to say that it's quite different open carrying. I feel like everybody is watching me but after a few days I'm getting more comfortable with it. So far I haven't had anybody say anything and this morning I dropped my daughter at a local high school for a volleyball camp and walked right into the gym to fill out the paperwork and nothing was said. I realized I probably should have left it in the car. I'm enjoying the freedom of OC and am proud to be standing up for our right to do so and will continue to do so even when I get my CCL. I want to be part of the movement out there to make it mainstream and a positive thing to carry my weapon in public. I need to get some pamphlets printed to hand out when asked about open carry.

Jeff

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Welcome to OCDO! I OC'd in Bend OR recently on my vacation. I didn't notice any other OC'ers, but also didn't have any issues.

golddigger14s

Activist Member
Snip/ So far I haven't had anybody say anything and this morning I dropped my daughter at a local high school for a volleyball camp and walked right into the gym to fill out the paperwork and nothing was said. I realized I probably should have left it in the car. I'm enjoying the freedom of OC and am proud to be standing up for our right to do so and will continue to do so even when I get my CCL. I want to be part of the movement out there to make it mainstream and a positive thing to carry my weapon in public. I need to get some pamphlets printed to hand out when asked about open carry.

Jeff

I could be wrong for OR, but I think they are similar to WA for schools. In WA you can drop your kids off at school, but NOT go in the buildings. Also for that exclusion requires a CPL even though you are OC'ing. I strongly suggest you go to the OR sub-forum, and check there. Also welcome to OCDO, you can learn alot and meet some great people.
http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?121-Oregon

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Know the law......first!

I let my CC expire here in Oregon so I went and filled out the paperwork to renew and asked the nice lady at the Sheriffs office how long and when she said 3 months I thought "what am I going to do" and she said in the mean time I will just have to open carry. I have never done that and upon doing an Internet search found this forum so I could make sure I'm not doing anything wrong. I have to say that it's quite different open carrying. I feel like everybody is watching me but after a few days I'm getting more comfortable with it. So far I haven't had anybody say anything and this morning I dropped my daughter at a local high school for a volleyball camp and walked right into the gym to fill out the paperwork and nothing was said. I realized I probably should have left it in the car. I'm enjoying the freedom of OC and am proud to be standing up for our right to do so and will continue to do so even when I get my CCL. I want to be part of the movement out there to make it mainstream and a positive thing to carry my weapon in public. I need to get some pamphlets printed to hand out when asked about open carry.

Jeff

You were very lucky - might be a good time to buy a lottery ticket.

It is my understanding that carry in schools in Oregon is legal with a permit, but decidedly not w/o one.
http://www.oregonfirearms.org/chl-central/prohibited-places

Aztecking

I just joined Oregon Firearm Federation and read up on the laws here and I was definitely lucky I didn't get in trouble. I won't make that mistake again! Thanks for the heads up.

I stopped to pick up a doughnut this morning and I held the door open for a retired gentleman and he said "look out, this guys packing"! He said it to me and then when the owner waited on him he said it again to her and loud enough so other customers could hear it. I'm not sure what his agenda was but I just laughed and blew it off. I had opened the door for him and let him go ahead of me in line and he still was being a jerk. When the owner asked me why I was packing I just said "I always do" and then I explained that I was just exercising my constitutional right. She agreed and then we had a nice chat about how we both take our young kids out shooting and how it's hard to find ammo these days. Turned out to be a positive encounter!