• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Man handcuffed for open carry

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
The young man needs to learn a lot more about his rights - he was "expecting them to run the serial numbers" - No, no, no.

Arrested/detained for breaking no laws :banghead:

He needs to seek legal council ASAP and file FOIA requests. He has a great opportunity to educate this LEA and receive some just compensation.

Had no idea that this could happen in Vermont.

Gunslinger

The young man needs to learn a lot more about his rights - he was "expecting them to run the serial numbers" - No, no, no.

Arrested/detained for breaking no laws :banghead:

He needs to seek legal council ASAP and file FOIA requests. He has a great opportunity to educate this LEA and receive some just compensation.

Had no idea that this could happen in Vermont.

False arrest and assault and battery. In a state where you need no permit to CC, this is absolute BS and an example of the moron cops making up their own rules. A nice cash award awaits him with good legal representation and the ******* cops can learn a valuable, albeit costly, lesson. Maybe they would like to run the serial numbers on my Rolex to make sure it isn't stolen, too. Would be fine with me, as they'd be buying me my next one.

vermonter

The reason this is happening is the cops are now being hired in Vermont from Massachusetts. Bald headed paramilitary types that think Mass laws apply in VT. If you live in VT - GET OUT! It is now owned by MA, NY & NJ!

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
The reason this is happening is the cops are now being hired in Vermont from Massachusetts. Bald headed paramilitary types that think Mass laws apply in VT. If you live in VT - GET OUT! It is now owned by MA, NY & NJ!
Don't abandon the field, retake the high ground.

Get involved - make a difference.

77zach

NH is resisting the statists very well. Vermont is a small state, fight these bastards.

vermonter

Rutland is not a good city for police or crime. If you ever have any trouble in Burlington ask for Lt Emmet Helrich. He does not tolerate harassment of law abiding citizens. Example of a GREAT police supervisor - Corporal Glynn of BPD is NOT!

Law abider

http://www.infowars.com/vermont-man-handcuffed-detained-by-police-for-legal-open-carry/

The enemy handcuffs and detains man for lawful open carry because it's supposedly unusual behavior.

WHAT????? It's ok to run serial numbers and look at the gun????? Something is goofy here! In Wisconsin where I OC regularly, I have mingled with leos and deputies, and never have they done what they did to that guy.
I say it is paranoia overreach without probable cause. He needs to get a good 2A attorney.

vermonter

RE: Vermont Stops

Although illegal - Vermont cops should use a little common sense in who they stop. There are MANY gang banger types that are coming to Vermont, and if one of them is OC they should be stopped and frisked. I think common sense dictates that one can tell the difference between a former vet and a drug dealing gang banger from Massachusetts. I have been stopped for OC several time and I handed them one of many non-resident CCW's and away I went without scrutiny. Vermont is a different world thanks to the do-gooder libtards who advertized in Springfield, MA and the South Bronx that free welfare was available here. All the local girls become ho's in the harem for these criminals bringing in the welfare" mo-money". I personally don't want gang bangers carrying in my state (or even living in my state), but there needs to be balance so the law abiding vet or ther citizen's rights are not violated. The law abiding are the ones who need this the most!

According to Rutland cops I have talked to this is why (article below) they are checking for illegal weapons. Do you not agree that these for men should not be allowed to carry, and go to federal prison if caught doing so (all are felons)?

http://www.wcax.com/story/8931468/federal-charges-issued-in-vt-carjacking

Here is what's going on in Vermont - and exactly why you need to carry:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/28/us/a-call-to-arms-on-a-vermont-heroin-epidemic.html?_r=0

Vermont needs a permit OPTION which will also help with reciprocity. I would be the first to get one so I don't need to rely on Utah. If I get stopped I can flash the cop my permit and get a wave and "have a nice day".

Primus

Although illegal - Vermont cops should use a little common sense in who they stop. There are MANY gang banger types that are coming to Vermont, and if one of them is OC they should be stopped and frisked. I think common sense dictates that one can tell the difference between a former vet and a drug dealing gang banger from Massachusetts. I have been stopped for OC several time and I handed them one of many non-resident CCW's and away I went without scrutiny. Vermont is a different world thanks to the do-gooder libtards who advertized in Springfield, MA and the South Bronx that free welfare was available here. All the local girls become ho's in the harem for these criminals bringing in the welfare" mo-money". I personally don't want gang bangers carrying in my state (or even living in my state), but there needs to be balance so the law abiding vet or ther citizen's rights are not violated. The law abiding are the ones who need this the most!

According to Rutland cops I have talked to this is why (article below) they are checking for illegal weapons. Do you not agree that these for men should not be allowed to carry, and go to federal prison if caught doing so (all are felons)?

http://www.wcax.com/story/8931468/federal-charges-issued-in-vt-carjacking

Here is what's going on in Vermont - and exactly why you need to carry:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/28/us/a-call-to-arms-on-a-vermont-heroin-epidemic.html?_r=0

Vermont needs a permit OPTION which will also help with reciprocity. I would be the first to get one so I don't need to rely on Utah. If I get stopped I can flash the cop my permit and get a wave and "have a nice day".

We don't have gang bangers in MA.. Especially not in Springfield.... :D

Just be lucky we aren't sending you the kids from brockton, fall river, new bedford and Lynn....

All upstanding citizens....

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
1. Although illegal - Vermont cops should use a little common sense in who they stop. There are MANY gang banger types that are coming to Vermont, and if one of them is OC they should be stopped and frisked.

2. I have been stopped for OC several time and I handed them one of many non-resident CCW's and away I went without scrutiny.

3. I personally don't want gang bangers carrying in my state (or even living in my state), but there needs to be balance so the law abiding vet or ther citizen's rights are not violated. The law abiding are the ones who need this the most!

4. According to Rutland cops I have talked to this is why (article below) they are checking for illegal weapons. Do you not agree that these for men should not be allowed to carry, and go to federal prison if caught doing so (all are felons)?

5. If I get stopped I can flash the cop my permit and get a wave and "have a nice day".

I am having a hard time with what you have written. I have a headache and sometimes I do not understand clearly. Please correct me if I am not understanding what you mean.

1. Everything after "illegal is moot. It should not happen.

2. Just flashing a concealed license is a "get out of jail free" card? I can print them up by the dozen.

3. Oh.....for the "greater good". I better go check my Constitution, that seems to not sound right.

4. "Still beating your wife?" No, heard that one before. "Think of the children!!!!!!"

5. My dress, a "get out of jail" card, a badge, what I drive, are my own bloody business. If my actions are out of line, arrest me. Otherwise, this is a free Country, protected by the Document. You may not have intended it, but you sounded very totalitarian. I have lived in countries like that. Not fun, mate.

Primus

I am having a hard time with what you have written. I have a headache and sometimes I do not understand clearly. Please correct me if I am not understanding what you mean.

1. Everything after "illegal is moot. It should not happen.

2. Just flashing a concealed license is a "get out of jail free" card? I can print them up by the dozen.

3. Oh.....for the "greater good". I better go check my Constitution, that seems to not sound right.

4. "Still beating your wife?" No, heard that one before. "Think of the children!!!!!!"

5. My dress, a "get out of jail" card, a badge, what I drive, are my own bloody business. If my actions are out of line, arrest me. Otherwise, this is a free Country, protected by the Document. You may not have intended it, but you sounded very totalitarian. I have lived in countries like that. Not fun, mate.

Your dress matters very much.. The length must be appropriate and the color must match your eyes...

:D

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

davidmcbeth

Banned
WHAT????? It's ok to run serial numbers and look at the gun????? Something is goofy here! In Wisconsin where I OC regularly, I have mingled with leos and deputies, and never have they done what they did to that guy.
I say it is paranoia overreach without probable cause. He needs to get a good 2A attorney.

My guns don't have serial numbers.....suck on that Mr. "I want to check your serial numbers"

2nd amendment means nothing if the gov't can just ask to take them away

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
--snipped--
Checking for illegal weapons? Really?

IF
someone is known to be disbarred from possession or carrying, then take action; but OC in and of itself is not RAS of a crime.

United States v. Black, 707 F.3d 531 (4[SUP]th[/SUP] Cir. 2013) (“[W]here a state permits individuals to openly carry firearms, the exercise of this right, without more, cannot justify an investigatory detention.”)
http://nccriminallaw.sog.unc.edu/?p=4531

Yes I know Vermont is not in the 4th circuit.

Last edited:

KBCraig

There are MANY gang banger types that are coming to Vermont, and if one of them is OC they should be stopped and frisked. I think common sense dictates that one can tell the difference between a former vet and a drug dealing gang banger from Massachusetts.

What, exactly, is a "gang banger type", and is being one of whatever that is, RAS for a stop and frisk?

Stereotypes-630x504.jpg

OC for ME

A Rutland officer earlier had stopped in Pittsford to lay a spike strip in the road in hopes of stopping the fleeing vehicle. While there, his police dog, King Luther, jumped out of his cruiser and was struck and killed by a passing Vermont State Police cruiser.
Another nitwit cop is gunna get off scot free for his negligence and a citizen is gunna be charged with killing a vicious lethal weapon.