• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Green Bay Parks?

IowaJack

My wife and I will be visiting Green Bay next week for the tall ships festival. I noticed on the festival website map it says:

Per city ordinance: NO Weapons

http://tallshipgreenbay.com/wp-content/pieces/2013/07/Festival-MapFINAL_HR.pdf

This is for Leicht Memorial Park where the festivals will be held. I understand that festivals can ban weapons but I didn't think citys could ban parks?

So is this a festival thing, a city thing or is someone misleading and making people believe weapons are banned (unless a person has a permit). It does also say that bags are subject to search.

Thank you for any insight or help

MKEgal

IowaJack said:
My wife and I will be visiting Green Bay next week for the tall ships festival. I noticed on the festival website map it says: Per city ordinance: NO Weapons

This is for Leicht Memorial Park where the festivals will be held. I understand that festivals can ban weapons but I didn't think citys could ban parks?

So is this a festival thing, a city thing or is someone misleading and making people believe weapons are banned (unless a person has a permit). It does also say that bags are subject to search.
Here's where you can search WI statutes by number or keyword:
http://legis.wisconsin.gov/RSB/STATS.HTML

No, the city is not allowed to post the park, while it's a park.

We have preemption, which says that no local unit of gov't can make an ordinance which is stricter than state law w/r/t firearms. See 66.0409
(So if, for example, they banned the possession of firearms in city limits, which some places used to & just haven't cleaned up their ordinances yet, that would be unenforcable.)

29.089(2) used to say that it was illegal to be in possession of a firearm in a state park or fish hatchery (unless unloaded & encased),
then was changed to OK possession of a pistol in a state park or fish hatchery by a licensee (long guns still U&E),
and as of 01JAN13 it's legal to possess a firearm in a state park as long as the person is otherwise legal to possess the firearm.
Thanks to preemption, it's legal to possess a firearm in any local park as long as the person is otherwise legal.

943.13 deals with trespassing, which is the statute which allows "special events" to prohibit good law-abiding customers from attending. See 943.13 (1m)(c)(3)

943.13 (1e)(h) defines "special event"
"an event that [sic] is open to the public, is for a duration of not more than 3 weeks, and either has designated entrances to and from the event that [sic] are locked when the event is closed or requires an admission"

So...

Since that map has a blob saying "purchase tickets here", they apparently require an admission, so as long as it's not over 3 weeks' duration they're allowed to prohibit self-protection at the event. :mad:

And no, having a carry license is not a defense to trespassing at a posted event or business.
Most of us just don't go to places like that. (Summerfest, state fair, etc.)

Just for yucks, you could google to find if the city posts its ordinances online, & see how out of date they are. I'm sure we have members who live there who would be happy to write a few letters reminding the city council that they need to straighten up & follow state law.

IowaJack

That pretty much confirms everything I thought.

I am a instructor here in Iowa and the founder of Iowa Firearms Coalition. We are always trying to correct people with misleading signs and information and also have preemption.

Thank you

davidmcbeth

Banned
Preemption clearly rules the day ... but really, how many days of the year are they not either a) covered in snow or b) covered with iced-up tears from when they lose to the Bears ? One or two?

Last edited:

Plankton

Just north of the Sheeple's Republik of Madistan
Preemption clearly rules the day ... but really, how many days of the year are they not either a) covered in snow or b) covered with iced-up tears from when they lose to the Bears ? One or two?

A few of us Packer OWNERS (and fans) can actually remember the last time the Bears won a championship (during the Reagan administration, I believe). Yet, in the span of my 4 year old grandsons lifetime, he has already seen a Packer Championship (13th, total). Carry On! :lol:

oliverclotheshoff

I have been in Green Bay/door county and Washington Island areas for the last week And the only place I came across a no gun sign was at the stadium itself, and at the national railroad museum. Other than that I was in the clear At the few parks I was in.

davidmcbeth

Banned
A few of us Packer OWNERS (and fans) can actually remember the last time the Bears won a championship (during the Reagan administration, I believe). Yet, in the span of my 4 year old grandsons lifetime, he has already seen a Packer Championship (13th, total). Carry On! :lol:

Ouch ! But the 85 bears were awesome - top 1 or 2 teams every... nice to see walter be a part of it ..

And the last year of wannepukes contract with the bears I was pissed they did that and rooted for the Pack .. in which they won the SB that year ..