• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NC OC experience reports

Horsegal984

Another OCer

Went to Walmart in Kannapolis tonight (courtesy of our microwave kicking the bucket) both of us OCing with our daughter. Passed two Concord LEOs hanging out by the carts while we grabbed one. Doubt they had any trouble noticing my S&W since I skipped a coat and was waiting strong side to them. No reaction at all.

As we walked past the jewelers section look over and there's an older gentleman with a cane OCing what looked like a 1911. Didn't wind up talking to him at all, though am now wondering if he is a member here or not.

Pretty cool night. Aside from my freaking microwave.

carolina guy

Went to Walmart in Kannapolis tonight (courtesy of our microwave kicking the bucket) both of us OCing with our daughter. Passed two Concord LEOs hanging out by the carts while we grabbed one. Doubt they had any trouble noticing my S&W since I skipped a coat and was waiting strong side to them. No reaction at all.

As we walked past the jewelers section look over and there's an older gentleman with a cane OCing what looked like a 1911. Didn't wind up talking to him at all, though am now wondering if he is a member here or not.

Pretty cool night. Aside from my freaking microwave.

Concord and Kannapolis seem to have their act together when it comes to lawfully armed people.

Jamesm760

So far no negative experiences here in Salisbury. I have gone to Hap's Grill, Hendrix BBQ, Walmart, Lowes, GNC, and too many gas stations to name. Went to Charlotte on Wednesday got a haircut at a barbershop off of Eastway and the barber cutting my hair said he carried a Glock 32. He said he was looking for something different because of ammo price. I informed him he can simply get a glock 32 barrel and use same mag or get a 9mm conversion and get some for 9mm mags. He was happy he didn't need to spend cash on a new firearm. :banana:

A couple of us on here are having a meet on Saturday November 30th in Concord. Hope some of you guys can make it.
http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...eet-8-Saturday-11-30-13&p=2004614#post2004614

BroadwayJoe

I went to the Piedmont Farmers Market Saturday with my daughters to pickup some meat and produce. One of the vendors told me, "thank you for carrying that gun." I used the opportunity to further explain the importance of carrying to my daughters. Good experience.

carolina guy

is iwb considered open carry?

Can you see the pistol? If yes, then yes, it is OC. I have an old Army leather holster (vintage WWII/Korea) and that is OC even if the only thing you can see of the pistol is the bottom of the grip and magazine base. BTW: IANAL... :)

325rto

Can you see the pistol? If yes, then yes, it is OC. I have an old Army leather holster (vintage WWII/Korea) and that is OC even if the only thing you can see of the pistol is the bottom of the grip and magazine base. BTW: IANAL... :)

Thanks for the reply. I figured it would be open carry, but I wanted to put it out there to those of you more experienced than I.

Horsegal984

If you look closely at the header of this forum the two girls on the right have IWB holsters.

Went to Walmart in Kannapolis (where apparently I spend too much time) and had a nice conversation with a guy who stopped me to ask what I was carrying. This naturally progressed to the "Do you like it?" Followed by my wish list..... Other than reminding me of what I need to ask Santa for it was an uneventful trip as usual.

Jamesm760

If you look closely at the header of this forum the two girls on the right have IWB holsters.

Went to Walmart in Kannapolis (where apparently I spend too much time) and had a nice conversation with a guy who stopped me to ask what I was carrying. This naturally progressed to the "Do you like it?" Followed by my wish list..... Other than reminding me of what I need to ask Santa for it was an uneventful trip as usual.

There's nothing wrong with spending time at walmart... :lol: That's where I do 90% of my shopping. :banana:

325rto

I did see those two girls. Was curious. Thanks.

Horsegal984

I did see those two girls. Was curious. Thanks.

I'm going to pass up the obvious response here (which I would normally take re:curious).
Instead my general understanding is that as long as an average person should be able to see your gun, like with all the examples above, though certainly not limited to only those, it's considered open carry. Of course, anytime you push those limits in any fashion it could wind up costing you in atty fees to prove you're in the right.

ron73440

Kicked out of movie theater

I went to the Carmike Cinema 6 in Havelock to see Enders game with my two sons and a friend of theirs. While waiting in line inside to buy a ticket from behind me I hear "Sir, you have to take that weapon outside."

Me: That's pretty gay. (something in his tone irritated me, but this is not the best choice of words)
Assistant Manager: No it's not
M: it's pretty stupid
AM: we have a no weapons policy
(I really wanted to say something about signs, but have read enough on here to know better)
M: Are you the manager?
AM: I'm the assistant manager and there are signs on the door that you ignored
(it didn't even occur to me to look for signs, so I didn't notice them)
M: Do you think the signs will keep a bad guy out?
AM: It's Carmike policy
M: So you think your policy will stop someone who wants to shoot people?
AM: It's our policy and there is no point in arguing
M: Whatever makes you people feel better, I guess
AM: You can leave your weapon in your vehicle and come watch a movie
M: Not gonna happen, we're leaving

It was very difficult to disappoint my kids, I made them read the book before I would let them watch the movie, so they were not happy.

My 16yo gets it, but my 11yo was more difficult, he thinks I'm a bit crazy and a gun should be hidden to reduce problems.

We went to New Bern to try different theaters, but none of the ones there were showing Enders Game so we went to Moores BBQ for dinner and ended up sitting right next to two County Sheriffs, I know they saw my pistol, but they left me alone and I left them alone.

During dinner I eplained it to my 11yo and his friend the best I could and I think he's starting to get it, when I told him as a man it is my duty to take care of my family and those that were with me and I refuse to give money to a place that doesn't respect that, it looked like he had a lightbulb moment.

Last edited:

ron73440

Here is an email I am planning to send to Carmike and hope some of you could look it over for me.

I went to see Enders Game on Saturday evening and was kicked out because of my legally open carrying a handgun.

I was told it is Carmike policy. Is this true?

If it is, do you think a person who plans a shooting will be discouraged by this policy? I think all you accomplish is to keep anyone who could respond immediately out of your theaters. You should be aware that the Aurora shooting happened in a gun free zone, and I don't understand why you would copy this dangerous behavior.

I was also told to put the gun in my vehicle and come back to watch the movie. Are you trying to get my pistol stolen by leaving it unattended after walking to my truck with it and coming back without it?

If it is indeed your policy to prevent people from protecting themselves in your theater, I am sorry but I will not be patronizing your theater and I will spread the word to gun rights groups that you are no friend of liberty.

FlyBoy276

Here is an email I am planning to send to Carmike and hope some of you could look it over for me.

I went to see Enders Game on Saturday evening and was kicked out because of my legally open carrying a handgun.

I was told it is Carmike policy. Is this true?

If it is, do you think a person who plans a shooting will be discouraged by this policy? I think all you accomplish is to keep anyone who could respond immediately out of your theaters. You should be aware that the Aurora shooting happened in a gun free zone, and I don't understand why you would copy this dangerous behavior.

I was also told to put the gun in my vehicle and come back to watch the movie. Are you trying to get my pistol stolen by leaving it unattended after walking to my truck with it and coming back without it?

If it is indeed your policy to prevent people from protecting themselves in your theater, I am sorry but I will not be patronizing your theater and I will spread the word to gun rights groups that you are no friend of liberty.

Its against NC State law to carry at:
Any assembly where a fee has been charged for admission (GS 14-269.3)

REDFIVE48

He may have his concealed weapons permit, if so, is no longer against the law.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Re Carmike - Google is your friend. There is an extensive list of such negative responses. Have never seen or heard of any different policy/rule with this theater chain. Most (all?) major theater groups would seem to have the same attitude.

The theaters blame the studio costs with hurting their sales, yet they turn legal honest people away. Consequently, I won't go there and use other means to see movies. How does that help the theater's bottom line?

ron73440

Actually, I don't have a permit, I can't bring myself to ask the state for permission, and I knew it was illegal to carry where they charge admission, it didn't occur to me that a move ticket is considered admission.

How many pointless laws do we need?

This gives my wife another reason I should get a permit.

ron73440

Re Carmike - Google is your friend. There is an extensive list of such negative responses. Have never seen or heard of any different policy/rule with this theater chain. Most (all?) major theater groups would seem to have the same attitude.

The theaters blame the studio costs with hurting their sales, yet they turn legal honest people away. Consequently, I won't go there and use other means to see movies. How does that help the theater's bottom line?

I should have checked first, I guess I have gotten used to going almost anywhere I want and don't think about it anymore.

The first month of OC'ing I would google if I was going out and if I couldn't find any info I would scour the doors looking for signage.

I guess I will wait for Enders Game on DVD and hope my son doesn't hold a grudge.

ron73440

Well, I knew it wouldn't do any good, but I sent the email anyway and here is their response:

Thank you for your comments concerning Carmike’s policy on the possession of firearms within our theatres. The events in Aurora, Colorado have placed a renewed emphasis on safety and emergency protocols at all of our theatre locations. Like many movie exhibitors and other retail businesses, Carmike does not allow weapons of any kind, including firearms, into our theatres, except for weapons carried by law enforcement and other security personnel. This policy was in effect prior the events in Colorado and remains our policy going forward. We know you have many options for entertainment and are glad you choose Carmike Cinemas for your movie viewing enjoyment.

Sincerely,

Thomas D. Bridgman II
Eastern Division Manager
Carmike Cinemas Inc.
PO Box 391
Columbus, GA 31902-0391

Here is the short reply I sent them:

Won't be choosing you anymore, no where in the reply did you address how restricting my rights makes me safer.

The policies in Aurora should have been a wake up call that gun free zones do not work.

So I figure that's the end of that, no more beating a dead horse and I owe my sons some ice cream or something.

But I have to admit I like how law enforcement are more equal than the other animals.