• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Oklahoma City METRO Transit is Violating State Law

aadvark

To ALL Whom are Concerned:

The METRO Transit of Oklahoma City Prohibits ALL Firearms inside METRO Transit Buses and on METRO Transit Property.

However, Oklahoma Statute 21-1903D only Prohibits Concealed Carry Aboard a Bus or The Vehicle of a Bus Company.

A License Issued by The Bureau Authorizes a Licensee to Carry a Handgun Openly or Concealed Carry, Loaded or not, therefore; a Licensee could Surely Openly Carry an Unloaded Firearm on METRO Transit Buses or Property, other than inside a METRO Transit Government Office Building, and be in Compliance with State Law.

Oklahoma Statute 21-1289.7 Authorizes Open Carry of an Unloaded Firearm in a Motor Vehicle.

Oklahoma Statute 21-1289.24 Reserves The Authority to Regulate Firearms to The State.

Last edited:

okiebryan

Director, Oklahoma Open Carry Association
To ALL Whom are Concerned:

The METRO Transit of Oklahoma City Prohibits ALL Firearms inside METRO Transit Buses and on METRO Transit Property.

However, Oklahoma Statute 21-1903D only Prohibits Concealed Carry Aboard a Bus or The Vehicle of a Bus Company.

A License Issued by The Bureau Authorizes a Licensee to Carry a Handgun Openly or Concealed Carry, Loaded or not, therefore; a Licensee could Surely Openly Carry an Unloaded Firearm on METRO Transit Buses or Property, other than inside a METRO Transit Government Office Building, and be in Compliance with State Law.

Oklahoma Statute 21-1289.7 Authorizes Open Carry of an Unloaded Firearm in a Motor Vehicle.

Oklahoma Statute 21-1289.24 Reserves The Authority to Regulate Firearms to The State.

Sure enough, there it is on their website. Thought we had this fixed.

hrdware

Time to set the record streight.....again

First off, Metro Transit is not a standard business. Metro Transit is a public trust, or a government business so they can not make rules different than what the state law says.

That being said, they can put up all the signs they want but they only have force of law if you carry into the bus terminal or if you carry concealed onto a bus. Open carry is allowed on the Metro Transit buses.

A little over a year ago, there was a news story about this and the head of metro transit was complaining because the law only mentioned banning concealed firearms. Metro Transit was going to lobby the legislature and ask them to add open carry to the law, but instead the legislature decided they wanted to allow all forms of carry on public buses. Legislation was written, but the house and senate could not agree on the language so it did not pass, they will be bringing this back up next session.

I imagine, Metro Transit hasn't changed their signage because they don't want to do it twice.

Check out this other thread on the topic:
http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?116126-Public-Busses&highlight=metro+transit

Kebler414

First off, Metro Transit is not a standard business. Metro Transit is a public trust, or a government business so they can not make rules different than what the state law says.

That being said, they can put up all the signs they want but they only have force of law if you carry into the bus terminal or if you carry concealed onto a bus. Open carry is allowed on the Metro Transit buses.

A little over a year ago, there was a news story about this and the head of metro transit was complaining because the law only mentioned banning concealed firearms. Metro Transit was going to lobby the legislature and ask them to add open carry to the law, but instead the legislature decided they wanted to allow all forms of carry on public buses. Legislation was written, but the house and senate could not agree on the language so it did not pass, they will be bringing this back up next session.

I imagine, Metro Transit hasn't changed their signage because they don't want to do it twice.

Check out this other thread on the topic:
http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?116126-Public-Busses&highlight=metro+transit

Thanks for the insight on that.

aadvark

hrdware:

That is Exactly what I Thought too!

Pursuant to Oklahoma State Law..., The Bus Transportation Safety Act Expressly Prohibits Carrying a CONCEALED Firearm on any Bus or Bus Service within The State.

However, This Prohibition does NOT Apply to or Effect Open Carry.

As a Result, Open Carry of a Handgun by a License Holder is Allowed on METRO Transit.

As for Carrying a Firearm in a Bus Terminal..., Oklahoma Statute 21-1277B1 and B2 Authorize The Possession of a Handgun 'Any Property Set Aside for The Use or Parking of any Vehicle', but that may be a Stretch. I would Certainly Argue The Bus must Come to a Complete Stop, and in The Case of a Terminal, Park there, if only for a while, to Allow Passengers to Board or Disembark from The Bus.

aadvark

Last edited:

hrdware

hrdware:

That is Exactly what I Thought too!

Pursuant to Oklahoma State Law..., The Bus Transportation Safety Act Expressly Prohibits Carrying a CONCEALED Firearm on any Bus or Bus Service within The State.

However, This Prohibition does NOT Apply to or Effect Open Carry.

As a Result, Open Carry of a Handgun by a License Holder is Allowed on METRO Transit.

As for Carrying a Firearm in a Bus Terminal..., Oklahoma Statute 21-1277B1 and B2 Authorize The Possession of a Handgun 'Any Property Set Aside for The Use or Parking of any Vehicle', but that may be a Stretch. I would Certainly Argue The Bus must Come to a Complete Stop, and in The Case of a Terminal, Park there, if only for a while, to Allow Passengers to Board or Disembark from The Bus.

aadvark

If I remember correctly, the bus stops outside the terminal building, not inside it. Therefore you can not carry inside the terminal building, also the terminal building is owned by the city of Oklahoma City, making it a government building. You would be correct in regards to the property outside of the building.