• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Ferry County OC report

Alpine

I've never seen a report post from this area, and I don't think we should leave out WA's 4th smallest county, it's a great place!

Over the Thanksgiving weekend we traveled over there, I OCed all along the way and all around Republic, the county seat.

Had a few strange looks at the hardware store/radio shack in town, which was odd as it's also a gun store. The women in the natural foods co-op that looks like a Seattle transplant shop were actually quite friendly.

I chatted with one of the local cops who had no problem and had several good strolls around the downtown area. Couldn't carry into the local Republic Brewery but it is a great brewery, some of the best beer in the state!

I only saw one other guy OCing while I was there, and I assume he was a local as he was loading up a truck at the feed store. Had a chat with him and told him about this website.

Last edited:

Difdi

Damn, according to the weather forecast highs in republic will average 5 degrees this week, I don't even own clothes for weather that cold....

Cold is relative. I'm mostly Finnish by ancestry, and my cold tolerance follows that. I've commented to people now and then that just because there's snow on the ground, doesn't mean it's cold out. I've been known to walk around in knee-deep snow wearing sandals (no socks) before. And yes, I still have all my toes, before you ask.

At 5 degrees, I wear socks. :D

EMNofSeattle

Cold is relative. I'm mostly Finnish by ancestry, and my cold tolerance follows that. I've commented to people now and then that just because there's snow on the ground, doesn't mean it's cold out. I've been known to walk around in knee-deep snow wearing sandals (no socks) before. And yes, I still have all my toes, before you ask.

At 5 degrees, I wear socks. :D

20 degrees is knit cap, gloves, parka weather for me... probably long johns too...

Lonster

I've never seen a report post from this area, and I don't think we should leave out WA's 4th smallest county, it's a great place!

Over the Thanksgiving weekend we traveled over there, I OCed all along the way and all around Republic, the county seat.

Had a few strange looks at the hardware store/radio shack in town, which was odd as it's also a gun store. The women in the natural foods co-op that looks like a Seattle transplant shop were actually quite friendly.

I chatted with one of the local cops who had no problem and had several good strolls around the downtown area. Couldn't carry into the local Republic Brewery but it is a great brewery, some of the best beer in the state!

I only saw one other guy OCing while I was there, and I assume he was a local as he was loading up a truck at the feed store. Had a chat with him and told him about this website.

Was at the convenience store/restaurant by the Fair Grounds during the fair. County Cop was behind me in line. Looked at my IWB .45 OC and said "1911". I said "Yes, Springfield Armory". A little more small talk and I paid for my things. Saw him later at the fair. I had thrown a button up shirt on to CC. He said hi and asked if we were going to the rodeo. Never mentioned my 1911. Wasn't sure if OC would be a problem. Was with my GFs parents and didn't want to start crap. Her Dad was also CC as was their other friend.

I'm normally a CC guy. But have been OC occasionally during the last year. I'm getting lazy and tired of trying to hide my pistol in the summer heat.

Grim_Night

I'm normally a CC guy. But have been OC occasionally during the last year. I'm getting lazy and tired of trying to hide my pistol in the summer heat.

This is a big part of why I OC... I'm just lazy and tired of having to always make sure my scary gun is hidden from the easily startled sheep. I deal with it at school all the time when I'm constantly trying to adjust my clothes just to make sure that my hip holster is covered... very tiring.

irfner

Campaign Veteran

Nice job. The more we can normalize oc the better.

Irfner

Alpine

Was at the convenience store/restaurant by the Fair Grounds during the fair. County Cop was behind me in line. Looked at my IWB .45 OC and said "1911". I said "Yes, Springfield Armory". A little more small talk and I paid for my things. Saw him later at the fair. I had thrown a button up shirt on to CC. He said hi and asked if we were going to the rodeo. Never mentioned my 1911. Wasn't sure if OC would be a problem. Was with my GFs parents and didn't want to start crap. Her Dad was also CC as was their other friend.

I was at the county fair this year visiting relatives, we went to the rodeo. OCed the whole time, had a lot of fun, but had some bad yakisoba from a fair booth there.

Also went to the Chesaw rodeo and OCed there.

Last edited:

Alpine

Was up visiting again over the holidays. Went through Anderson's and had no trouble at the check-out.

Saw a lot of deer in town. The people there are getting fed up with the no-hunt zone in town, the deer population there has exploded. Saw a huge 5-5 rack on a buck there.

Chatted with one guy who didn't know OC was legal, he says he plans to start carrying his pistol after I gave him a pamphlet.

Grim_Night

Was up visiting again over the holidays. Went through Anderson's and had no trouble at the check-out.

Saw a lot of deer in town. The people there are getting fed up with the no-hunt zone in town, the deer population there has exploded. Saw a huge 5-5 rack on a buck there.

Chatted with one guy who didn't know OC was legal, he says he plans to start carrying his pistol after I gave him a pamphlet.

is there a law about using a rope to drag that deer on out of town to someplace where you can turn it into dinner? "don't mind me, I'm just getting these cute things out of the lawn!"

Alpine

I wouldn't advise trying to rope and get close to those bucks, I've seen them fight and those spikes are pretty sharp.

Alpine

Went to the Ferry County fair and all around town in Republic over the holiday weekend.

The fair was great as this year they had a full night of bull riding after a couple years of not having it. Also got to see some Mutton Busting with little kids trying to ride bucking sheep in parody of bull riding, very funny. They also had an amazing set of Pony Express races. Let me tell you those riders are SKILLED! If you've never seen a Pony Express race go look it up on youtube.

Had no issues at the Fair. The sole Ferry County Deputy there didn't glance at me twice, and I got to walk around and talk to all the candidates including Brian Danzel for Senate District #7, Emma Paulsen who is the incumbent county prosecutor, the county clerk, Raymond Maycumber who is a deputy who is running for Ferry County Sheriff. I also spoke with a nice gentleman at the PUD booth who asked me about my sig and commented that his wife also had one. No one had a problem but when I was chatting with the prosecutor a little boy dressed up as a sheriff with a toy gun came up to me and asked me if I was a police officer. I said no so he asked why I carried a gun and I explained that I was exercising my 2nd Amendment rights and that a police officer was too heavy to carry around. He seemed to get a kick out of it, though I was a little depressed that out in "Freedom County" the kids are indoctrinated to think gun = police. Hopefully he wasn't an example of all the other youth there.

If you're headed out this way you MUST try the bakery (best bagels, bread and patries around) and the Brewery (though you can't carry, it's worth it for the best beer in the state!).

The only problem I had coming home was an abortive stop at Big R. More on that on the other thread...

Last edited:

Alpine

Went over to Ferry County again for the holidays. Had no issues OCing all around town and at the town gathering and Christmas tree lighting ceremony, though many might not have noticed my sig because it was 0 degrees outside in Republic and people were huddled together while the Mayor was struggling for almost an hour to get a bonfire lit with a propane torch and diesel fuel.

Over black Friday and Small Business Saturday we attended an arts and crafts bazaar at the Northern Inn, no one batted an eye despite some obvious coasty transplant hippie types selling herbs and things.

The new second hand store has remodeled and is doing much better under new management. The teller at Andersons grocery was friendly as always.

All in all uneventful and a great time.

Interesting to note, I saw on the way back that Big R in Omak has changed its name to North 40. Still the same stupid policy posted on their door though.

Last edited: