• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Dearborn school board passes resolution prohibiting Open carry in schools

OneForAll

Are they going to be able to enforce this or are they treading water to see where it goes?

m.marino

+1 Dr. Todd has the right of it and I would put money there is a media hound in the wing waiting for the already set up story. I hope they haven't decided that the cops will shot the person who challenges the law (sorry but this has prescripted media circus written all over it). It is a good one to take to court though as there is more then enough evidence that it is done in direct challenge and violation of state law (Wonder if sedition charges would stick). -Michael

FreeInAZ

Purely "Political Theater".

It surely is. This being the case & DPD's shown past behavior against others (pastor Jones) who offend their "opinion police"
http://dearborn.patch.com/groups/po...y-jones-wins-lawsuit-against-city-of-dearborn
I would suggest any action by the 2A/civil rights community be done in a large group. A single CPL OCer will most likely be taken to jail by the poopoo-monkeys in Deaborn's swinest. :rolleyes:

Onnie & I attended his speech at Dearborn city hall as observers. I watched the PD bring their helicopter 100 feet above him on purpose to drown out his speech. So much for: free speech, the right to assemble, the right to bear arms, etc.... The officials of Dearborn seem to think they can pick and choose which parts of the constitution they will obey. :(

Last edited:

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
I know you know this but, just for the edification of some readers here: the school board is composed of different individuals than the city council.

FreeInAZ

I know you know this but, just for the edification of some readers here: the school board is composed of different individuals than the city council.

Yet they all seem to be cut from the same soiled diaper cloth? Amazing one city can have so many tyrants at the helm. :confused: They (Dearborn officials) take full advantage of most of their population coming from countries with dictators in place. To these folks anything is better than where they came from and they are afraid of drawing attention. Given enough time Dearborn will be just like their last homes. :(

FreeInAZ

On a positive note - this is just a silly "resolution" it has no true weight of law behind it. It is like me saying: "I resolve that all women will worship at my feet and praise me - always. All road traffic shall part like the red sea for Moses when I am on the road. All food and drink shall be free of charge to me. NASA shall launch satellites just for me so I can watch ALL channels at all times....and so on... I may want these things...but chances are, it ain't going to happen! :cool:

Last edited:

DeSchaine

That might not be the best idea. We all know how testy and PC people get when it comes to anything school related. Maybe it would be better to set up not a protest per se, but a single day where all of us that have kids in school just go to pick them up while carrying, be it schools in Portage and Kalamazoo, GR, Lansing, Dearborn or Newberry. Not make a big deal out of it, just calmly get the rugrats out of class. If the media get ahold of it, THEN some spokesman from the org can make some kind of statement about it.

Shadow Bear

Michigan Moderator
That might not be the best idea. We all know how testy and PC people get when it comes to anything school related. Maybe it would be better to set up not a protest per se, but a single day where all of us that have kids in school just go to pick them up while carrying, be it schools in Portage and Kalamazoo, GR, Lansing, Dearborn or Newberry. Not make a big deal out of it, just calmly get the rugrats out of class. If the media get ahold of it, THEN some spokesman from the org can make some kind of statement about it.

Great first post; the force is strong in this one!

22Luke36

Sounds too much like one of those free speech zones. When you have a problem you deal with it at the source. Protest on scene wherever necessary. We should learn our lessons from Starbucks however, as people on our side crossed lines and people reacted to it negatively.

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
CCers seem to always be front-and-center when the media covers OC at schools: "I'm all for the 2nd Amendment, I have a CCW (CPL), I don't feel the need to carry at a school, blah, blah, blah." I'd even wager that most members here and on MOC's website don't feel the need to carry at their child's school. Prepare yourself for the "friendly fire".

22Luke36

CCers seem to always be front-and-center when the media covers OC at schools: "I'm all for the 2nd Amendment, I have a CCW (CPL), I don't feel the need to carry at a school, blah, blah, blah." I'd even wager that most members here and on MOC's website don't feel the need to carry at their child's school. Prepare yourself for the "friendly fire".

I hope there is never a need to carry a gun at a school.

Maybe there is, since the schools aren't teaching them but that's a different story.

Last edited:

FreeInAZ

Maybe there is, since the schools aren't teaching them but that's a different story.

That's exactly where people (law-abiding) need most to carry. PFZ's are "fish in barrel zones" for whack jobs! That's why they are almost always the target of crazies...they know the odds are very good that no one on site can return fire! The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over & over again & expecting a different result! :eek:

Ezerharden

Actually there is a NEED to carry anywhere you can, I just hope there is never a NEED to use it!

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
Actually there is a NEED to carry anywhere you can, I just hope there is never a NEED to use it!
You took the words right out of my mouth....er, keyboard. :)

How can anyone say there is no need to carry at a school? Haven't some of the most horrific incidents in the last few years happened at schools/colleges/universities? Places that are typically considered "gun free zones?" I would think that today, more than ever there is a need for reliable, honest citizens to carry for "the defense of themselves and the state" at our schools.

If history has shown us anything, it has shown us that laws against carrying guns in schools are nothing more than false hope. And the school shootings have shown us that as usual, laws only affect the law-abiding citizens. If a crazy person or a criminal wants to do harm in a "gun free school zone," they will.