• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Took pistol to San Juan. No problems.

pkbites

Went to Puerto Rico for a week over Thanksgiving.

Flew out of O'hare on United. Declared my Glock in my checked luggage. Nobody so much as blinked. Flew back Saturday after the holiday. Declared in my luggage at SJU. Nobody asked me anything. No one at either end asked for a PR permission slip or anything. I was prepared for arguments and a hassle. But nothing happened.

Didn't OC. Wasn't going to push it. Not this time, anyway.

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
Went to Puerto Rico for a week over Thanksgiving.

Flew out of O'hare on United. Declared my Glock in my checked luggage. Nobody so much as blinked. Flew back Saturday after the holiday. Declared in my luggage at SJU. Nobody asked me anything. No one at either end asked for a PR permission slip or anything. I was prepared for arguments and a hassle. But nothing happened.

Didn't OC. Wasn't going to push it. Not this time, anyway.
Now that I've looked over the links provided, I'm even more confused.

Under what basis did you transport the firearm to P.R.? As best as I can tell, you could not transport it loaded, or carry it loaded (if at all) except if you have a particular profession or license. Do you have any such licenses, from PR or elsewhere?

Please give us some details!

Last edited:

JustaShooter

Under what basis did you transport the firearm to P.R.? As best as I can tell, you could not transport it loaded, or carry it loaded (if at all) except if you have a particular profession or license. Do you have any such licenses, from PR or elsewhere?

It is entirely possible the thread title should have been "I broke the law in PR but didn't get caught. No problems." :uhoh:

pkbites

Under what basis did you transport the firearm to P.R.?

What part of "checked luggage" did you not understand? :confused: I just told them "I have a firearm to declare" and got the orange tag to fill out. No different than if I was flying anywhere else in the U.S..

The point of the OP is, prior to going I was told, and read online, that the airlines get all pi**y and demand some letter from some police commish or some admin bureaucrat before they let you fly with a handgun in your checked luggage to Puerto Rico. Nobody demanded anything.

pkbites

"I broke the law in PR but didn't get caught. No problems." :uhoh:

No I didn't.

And this thread is not about my experience carrying in PR. It's about my experience getting there. Everything I was told about the hassles and such were false. United did not demand any permission slip, and I was not hassled at the airport in San Juan arriving nor departing with a pistol.

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
...And this thread is not about my experience carrying in PR. It's about my experience getting there...
How nice of you to FINALLY make clear the limited subject matter of this thread.

From reading the documentation provided, it seems to me that it was illegal for you to have it there, unless there is more you haven't posted. Of course, I can't imagine that! :rolleyes:

JustaShooter

From reading the documentation provided, it seems to me that it was illegal for you to have it there,

At the very least, it looks to be illegal to transport it without a Puerto Rico weapons license:

Puerto Rico Commonwealth Law,
Chapter 111. Controlled Substances Act of Puerto Rico
2516. Suspension or revocation of license to drive motor vehicles and license to carry firearms
Title 25, Subtitle 1, Part V, Chapter 51A, Subchapter I, 455.
(x) Transportation.Means the mediate or immediate possession of a weapon for the purpose of taking it from one place to another. Said transportation must be carried out by a person with a current weapons license and the weapon must be unloaded and transported inside a closed case whose contents are not visible and which may not be in plain sight

pkbites

It is not illegal for me to possess nor carry a pistol in Puerto Rico.

But that is irrelevant and not the point of this thread.

My point is to expose those that babble about what is going to happen to people, and more importantly, the "I KNOW EVERYTHING" crowd that tells you what is going to happen to you. Whether it's about open carry in Iowa, Wisconsin, Virginia, or transporting a pistol to Puerto Rico. Do your own research and experience your own experience.

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
It is not illegal for me to possess nor carry a pistol in Puerto Rico.

But that is irrelevant and not the point of this thread.

My point is to expose those that babble about what is going to happen to people, and more importantly, the "I KNOW EVERYTHING" crowd that tells you what is going to happen to you. Whether it's about open carry in Iowa, Wisconsin, Virginia, or transporting a pistol to Puerto Rico. Do your own research and experience your own experience.
:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Oh, I DO know everything ;), like the fact that I knew from the beginning you weren't a) telling the whole story, and b) making clear the point of your original post.

Unsubscribing, moving on.

bill gray

Travelling to PR with a gun

I flew into Aguadilla (small airport in the NW part of the island). I saw two large signs in the baggage claim area re guns. They said you must advise a police officer if you are arriving with a gun. My understanding is that, upon doing that, your gun will be taken into custody until you show/get a PR license to carry. The sign said that NOT advising an officer is a crime. Guns are extremely regulated here (I live here in the winter) along with ammunition. I think the poster here was lucky.

Last edited:

pkbites

I think the poster here was lucky.

No, I'm a peace officer and exempt from all that, though I never once identified myself as that while there. And there were no such signs that I could see at SJU.

The point of this thread was to disprove what I was told about how I'd be screwed with at the airport about trying to check in a firearm. In reality nobody batted an eye.

Jared

No, I'm a peace officer and exempt from all that, though I never once identified myself as that while there. And there were no such signs that I could see at SJU.

The point of this thread was to disprove what I was told about how I'd be screwed with at the airport about trying to check in a firearm. In reality nobody batted an eye.

People forget that LEOSA applies in all territories and Indian reservations. Puerto Rico has never been a problem for LEOSA, neither has Guam.

Virgin Islands, CNMI, and American Samoa are another story as they are incapable of reading law.

A while back, airlines would either ask to see a Puerto Rico license or a police ID.

Keep in mind that if you frequent Puerto Rico, get a gun license as it's shall issue and the cost is waived for government employee's, since LEOSA alone doesn't exempt you from the gun free schools act and being that PR is in the 1st circuit, they are fairly anti-gun.