• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Washington State Frequently Asked Questions About Open Carry

drewdownkali

Legal, yes. Have I done it? More than once.
Have I been arrested for it? Never.
Is it to be promoted on this site? NO!
Will you get harassed by the police? The Magic 8 Ball says, "most likely."

I have been arrested for OC with a pistol though.

You might have it stolen from you by a game warden if you do it while walking around in the forests W/O a hunting license though.

You talking about rifle or handgun?

Bill Starks

State Researcher
updated states that accept the Washington CPL. (added Alabama & Kansas)

Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Idaho, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, Wisconsin

Freedom1Man

I know what RCW 9.41.300 says, however has anyone had problems carrying at the Washington state convention center?

There is a Christmas type shopping thing going on, Friday, and I don't want to be taken by surprise.

I could not find any policies page for the Washington state convention center so, I plan on going OC unless it's illegal and I can't find that it is.

Last edited:

Cap257

RCW 9.41.280 Possessing dangerous weapons on school facilities

(3) Subsection (1) of this section does not apply to: .....

(f) Any nonstudent at least eighteen years of age legally in possession of a firearm or dangerous weapon that is secured within an attended vehicle or concealed from view within a locked unattended vehicle while conducting legitimate business at the school;

Question: Please confirm my understanding, that if my pistol is in my locked vehicle and not within view on public school property (with or without a CPL), I am in compliance with this RCW? PS this is a great site, thanks to all the great folks that have made it happen

Dornai

So, I have a question I have been unable to resolve for awhile.

I am an 18 year old who legally owns a handgun. I have attended safety classes, and retain a combat MOS within the WA National Guard. I know legally this doesn't give me any lee way, but I like to make it known to fellow firearm enthusiasts since my age is often associated with "reckless and irresponsible behaviour".

I know that under the age of 21, open carry is illegal when the firearm is loaded, except in certain environments (home, fixed place of business, transportation between these places, lawful outdoor activities, etc).

However, does that mean I could open carry anywhere that isn't off-limits (courts, schools, etc) IF the weapon is unloaded (unchambered, magazine not in the magwell)?

I can't find anything prescribing this as unlawful, since most websites and forums, such as this FAQ, specify open carry age requirement is "21+ to carry a firearm LOADED in public", and I can't seem to find information contained within an RCW concerning this.

Thank you,
Robert Griffith

pard

Stadiums

Localities may also prohibit the carrying of handguns in the stadiums and convention centers that they operate, however they MUST exempt those who possess a concealed pistol license.

How does this apply to Safeco and the clink? Can you CC with a CPL.

Geerolla

Nope. They are leased by private corporations that are allowed to prohibit firearms on the property while they operate it. Concealed means concealed, but you'll have a hard time getting past the metal detectors they just put in.

Sent from my UAV using Disposition Matrix 2.0

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Nope. They are leased by private corporations that are allowed to prohibit firearms on the property while they operate it. Concealed means concealed, but you'll have a hard time getting past the metal detectors they just put in.

Sent from my UAV using Disposition Matrix 2.0

It shows that the courts deliberately went against the intent of the legislators...IMHO.

Therein rests and interesting conundrum.

The municipality rents/leases the facility to a venue (example: church, school or recording artist) and the venue entity does not want coolers or guns - is this within their rights/power?

Compare the above to my renting a house from you. You say no hats or guns, but I like hats and guns and rent anyway. Can you assert that I have violated the terms of the lease if I possess either?

IMHO that would be considered an unreasonable restrictive clause and tossed out by most courts.

Freedom1Man

Therein rests and interesting conundrum.

The municipality rents/leases the facility to a venue (example: church, school or recording artist) and the venue entity does not want coolers or guns - is this within their rights/power?

Compare the above to my renting a house from you. You say no hats or guns, but I like hats and guns and rent anyway. Can you assert that I have violated the terms of the lease if I possess either?

IMHO that would be considered an unreasonable restrictive clause and tossed out by most courts.

The issue in this case is that the stadiums were built using tax money and so should not be handed over to private control to allow the cities to circumvent the law.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
The issue in this case is that the stadiums were built using tax money and so should not be handed over to private control to allow the cities to circumvent the law.
I understand your frustration, but do not agree that the municipalities are circumventing the law. They are temporarily leasing and thereby transferring control to the venue for the short term of the agreement.

Regarding tax money for construction - consider the picnic shelter in the local park wherein renting the facility you then may set the terms as to who may attend your function/event.

IMO - there is no difference between the two (picnic shelter and coliseum) except the seating capacity. In both cases, I think you could say No Guns or require all adult, legal attendees to carry a handgun as a condition of admittance.

Now if the municipality were to try and enter into a long term agreement (i.e. 25 year lease) with an anti group that would restrict something otherwise legal, that would a different matter.

sudden valley gunner

Conundrum indeed.

I would say a major difference in the analogy you provided is, that renting the picnic shelter is you are renting it for a closed event, private event. Whereas sport events are open to anyone who buys a ticket.

This is why I think there should be very little "public" buildings built by tax payers.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Conundrum indeed.

I would say a major difference in the analogy you provided is, that renting the picnic shelter is you are renting it for a closed event, private event. Whereas sport events are open to anyone who buys a ticket.

This is why I think there should be very little "public" buildings built by tax payers.

Don't recall saying it was a closed event. I rent the shelter - I make the rules, whatever they may be, subject to legal restrictions.

Actually most sporting events are the same and subject to the conditions attached to the ticket. Hint: read the back of the ticket, whereon most refer to your acceptance of their rules/restrictions through the use of the ticket.

Grim_Night

Centurylink Field

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CenturyLink_Field
The stadium was built between 2000 and 2002 after voters approved funding for the construction in a statewide election held on June 17, 1997. This was a controversial out-of-cycle election financed privately by the football franchise owner. This vote created the Washington State Public Stadium Authority to oversee public ownership of the venue. The owner of the Seahawks, Paul Allen, formed First & Goal Inc. to develop and operate the new facilities.

http://www.centurylinkfield.com/stadium-facts/

Budget

CenturyLink Field: $360 million
Exhibition Center: $70 million

Financing

Cost to public: $300 million
Cost to Seahawks owner, Paul G. Allen: $130 million, plus cost overruns

http://www.centurylinkfield.com/rules-for-areas-surrounding/
FREE SPEECH RULES

http://www.centurylinkfield.com/rules-and-regulations/

Firearms

Firearms are STRICTLY PROHIBITED.

In short, Centurylink Field was paid for in majority by taxpayer money across the state. Paul Allen, the owner of the Seattle Seahawks created First and Goal inc. Seattle, handed over control of Centurylink Field to Paul Allen and First and Goal. First and Goal has a complete restriction of all firearms on all Centurylink Field property for ALL those wanting to lease the property from First and Goal...

Does this or does this not sound like the city of Seattle has basically made an end run around state law?

A similar situation is going on with regards to Safeco Field.

Freedom1Man

I understand your frustration, but do not agree that the municipalities are circumventing the law. They are temporarily leasing and thereby transferring control to the venue for the short term of the agreement.

Regarding tax money for construction - consider the picnic shelter in the local park wherein renting the facility you then may set the terms as to who may attend your function/event.

IMO - there is no difference between the two (picnic shelter and coliseum) except the seating capacity. In both cases, I think you could say No Guns or require all adult, legal attendees to carry a handgun as a condition of admittance.

Now if the municipality were to try and enter into a long term agreement (i.e. 25 year lease) with an anti group that would restrict something otherwise legal, that would a different matter.

I cannot rent the shelter for more than 1-2 days and I cannot restrict anyone else walking through the park.

The stadiums were built with public money and only allowed to be used by a private group, period.

The shelter is a limited time use, the stadiums were, basically, handed over to a private group to run and control them.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
My response to this, is it public or private, dilemma is to create a quasi-public entity. Quasi-public being a private actor who invites the public to participate/use the facility. This creates ripples of some magnitude amongst the purists that hold private property rights dear - which would include myself.

Individual/specific state laws must be considered.

slapmonkay

Campaign Veteran
FYI grapeshot. The lease that First and Goal has for the field is a 25 year lease that auto renews. First and Goal is the only booking agent for the stadium.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk