• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Who Notices You Open Carrying? List your experiences.

SFCRetired

I was in Sam's Club, carrying a Ruger P89. Not one single adult in the entire store noticed, or if they did, did not run screaming for the exit. However, one little boy, I would guess not more than two, glanced in my direction, looked away, and then snapped his head back! His eyes looked like a couple of saucers! I laughed and told him, "Yes, it is a gun. I wear it to keep myself, my wife, and children like you safe from bad guys." Cutest grin you ever saw on a little fellow. His mother laughed at his reaction and thanked me for speaking to him.

EMNofSeattle

Every so often I will be standing somewhere, and someone will look at me, then start walking away very fast......

Which puzzles me because I always dress in a button shirt, tucked in, belt jeans or khakis, I am clean shaven with almost military regulation hair, so I don't think I look outwardly threatening......

Like a few weeks ago I was in a grocery store and some young woman with a baby in arms is in the bread aisle, and I'm picking up bagels, and so I turn to go to another aisle, she looks at me, then turns around and starts walking fast........ Don't understand it....

MontanaResident

I've had all positive experiences from those that notice that I see looking or those that say something.

Last edited:
B

Bikenut

I've had folks in stores, parking lots, and eateries, walk up and thank me for exercising the right to bear arms, including restaurant managers.

I've had somewhat unsavory folks suddenly decide there is somewhere else they really need to be... immediately!

I've had an irate woman in a local park call the police and become incensed when the cop stood at my side and told her she was wrong and she had no right to tell me to leave or to put my gun away... but if it bothered her so much she had the freedom to leave if she wanted.

And I've had untold many folks who noticed and just went on their way with nothing more than a glance at my sidearm. The unfortunate folks who's health requires using those motorized buggies in stores ALWAYS notice since the gun is at their eye level... yet there has never been any problems.

But the best part is when folks come up and ask about open carry wanting to know if they can do it too. I like those "teachable moments".

wimwag

Yesterday two women at a tattoo shop that asked me if I was a cop. I told them no and they just said "Cool. You can just carry a gun like that?" I affirmed it and the skinny one said she wanted to. Positive.

Primus

Yesterday two women at a tattoo shop that asked me if I was a cop. I told them no and they just said "Cool. You can just carry a gun like that?" I affirmed it and the skinny one said she wanted to. Positive.

Were they good looking? Photos or it didn't happen...

:D

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

stealthyeliminator

Were they good looking? Photos or it didn't happen...

:D

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

Seconded :p

I can't say for regular day to day handgun OC of course, being a Texan. Might go OC in Arkansas or Oklahoma of perhaps even Louisiana if I can. Hopefully Arkansas can clear up the matter of OC for their less intellectual DAs soon so everyone can do it without having to worry about a rouge prosecutor

1245A Defender

Ohhh,, fun..

I can't say for regular day to day handgun OC of course, being a Texan. Might go OC in Arkansas or Oklahoma of perhaps even Louisiana if I can. Hopefully Arkansas can clear up the matter of OC for their less intellectual DAs soon so everyone can do it without having to worry about a rouge prosecutor

I dont want to worry about a prosecutor either,,, but
A "rouge" one may be nicer to look at than a "rogue" one...
Look it up.... Its in the book.

EMNofSeattle

Move to Washington, the weathers nicer, we have open carry, and if you establish residency with all deliberate speed you can vote in time against the gun control initiative on the ballot.

sudden valley gunner

Every so often I will be standing somewhere, and someone will look at me, then start walking away very fast......

Which puzzles me because I always dress in a button shirt, tucked in, belt jeans or khakis, I am clean shaven with almost military regulation hair, so I don't think I look outwardly threatening......

Like a few weeks ago I was in a grocery store and some young woman with a baby in arms is in the bread aisle, and I'm picking up bagels, and so I turn to go to another aisle, she looks at me, then turns around and starts walking fast........ Don't understand it....

You dress like Ted Bundy?.......;)

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
I've had all positive experiences from those that notice that I see looking or those that say something.

What he said. One old man and one disguntled LEO were my only negs in the last five years of OC.

Were they good looking? Photos or it didn't happen...:D

Primus, positives are so common here why take pics?

1245A defender, you may need one of these.

JamesCanby

Activist Member
Alexandria, VA at www.NoVA-MDSelfDefense.com
In the years since I managed to escape from TPR of Maryland into the Commonwealth of Virginia, I have been an OCer. In all of my experiences, I have not had one negative comment, even though I am in Northern Virginia (affectionately called NoVA) which is populated with more liberals than real Virginians want to tolerate. (Most real Virginians believe that the 'real' Virginia goes no further north than Fredericksburg.)

Still, I labor in the OC vineyard in NoVA, sharing the image of a rather clean-cut 'oldster' that has a firearm on his hip. Here is what strikes me: Of all of the people who have commented on my firearm, all but one was a fellow gun owner who simply wanted to know about what I was carrying. The VAST majority of people are so situationally UNaware of their surroundings that they never see it. And that, my friends, is a striking difference between the sheep and the sheepdogs. The sheep pay no attention to their surroundings and are taken by surprise when something bad happens. The sheepdogs are VERY aware of everything that is going on around them, especially who is carrying what.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Many of the state fora have threads devoted to the OC experience. Seems to me (and I'm not keeping score) that most of the posts are reports of "I went X and nobody noticed/nobody freaked out" or "I went Y and soeone recognized the brand and model of handgun I was carrying and tried to tell me everything about it".

Some of us (me especially) have given up posting OC experiences unless it was to a place nobody else has been, or there was an exceptional (positive or negative) experience. Seriously, how many times do you want to read that I went to my favorite Chinese restaurant and the staff said - for the umpteenth time - that they feel safe because I am carryinging my gun? Or that I went grocery shopping and nobody noticed I was carrying?

The absence of blood overflowing the gutters, horses fainting and the women stampeding is absolutely deafening, innit?

stay safe.

WalkingWolf

Maybe it has nothing to do with the gun? Just Sayin`