• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Moving to ID

retg

I'll be moving to ID in about six months. I currently have a UT permit that expires in about 5 years, and a FL non-resident permit that expires in three years. I am trying to find out if I need to get a ID permit after I move or can I carry on a UT or FL non-resident permit for a few months before obtaining a ID permit?

I do plan on obtaining the ID permit but it might take a month or two.

I do know that in UT, you can be a resident and carry with a permit from another state, so long as that state issues non-resident permits.

Thanks,

OC Freedom

I'll be moving to ID in about six months. I currently have a UT permit that expires in about 5 years, and a FL non-resident permit that expires in three years. I am trying to find out if I need to get a ID permit after I move or can I carry on a UT or FL non-resident permit for a few months before obtaining a ID permit?

I do plan on obtaining the ID permit but it might take a month or two.

I do know that in UT, you can be a resident and carry with a permit from another state, so long as that state issues non-resident permits.

Thanks,

Idaho reconizes any permit from any state and so don't feel you need to get one from Idaho. I have my permit from Washington state with my Idaho address on it so I do not see the need for getting one from Idaho. When it comes to open carry, Idaho is one the best and you will find it boring as its accepted by the public. Check out handgunlaw/us for good info on Idaho concealed carry, but I suggest you carry open as much as possible for concealed carry is distasteful and its what thugs do.

OC Freedom

The advantage to having an Idaho one is when it comes to purchasing from an FFL dealer. No background check needed!

That is true. For me personally, I am fine using my UPIN instead of acquiring an Idaho permit, standard or enhanced. If Oregon or The Peoples Republic of Kalifornia ever recognizes Idaho's permit then I will get one.

papa bear

RETG, first welcome to the forum

second is the UT an resident or non resident permit.

i could be mistaken but from what i understand about Idaho law. when you become a resident there , the other resident permits are void.

i suggest you Open carry

retg

RETG, first welcome to the forum

second is the UT an resident or non resident permit.

i could be mistaken but from what i understand about Idaho law. when you become a resident there , the other resident permits are void.

i suggest you Open carry

Actually, I have two permits. The UT permit, is a resident permit, and by UT law would technically be invalid once I become a legal resident of ID. That's due to the change a few years ago in the UT permit that requires a person to obtain a permit from their resident state (if they issue and accept a UT permit) to obtain a non-res UT permit. So, for me to transfer my UT permit to a non-res permit requires me to obtain my ID permit.

However, I do have a FL non-resident permit and that is the one I'm questioning. Guess the best would be to write the state and find out.

OC Freedom

Actually, I have two permits. The UT permit, is a resident permit, and by UT law would technically be invalid once I become a legal resident of ID. That's due to the change a few years ago in the UT permit that requires a person to obtain a permit from their resident state (if they issue and accept a UT permit) to obtain a non-res UT permit. So, for me to transfer my UT permit to a non-res permit requires me to obtain my ID permit.

However, I do have a FL non-resident permit and that is the one I'm questioning. Guess the best would be to write the state and find out.

As I stated in my above post, Idaho will recognize your Florida permit if you are an Idaho resident. The only requirement is that you must have your license on you when you carry concealed.

Idaho code 18-3302 (12)(g) which says:

(g) Any person who has a valid permit from a state or local law enforcement agency or court authorizing him to carry a concealed weapon. A permit issued in another state will only be considered valid if the permit is in the licensee's physical possession.