• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

PRINTING in Illinois

MikeLovell

Not an OC question, but still...

When I took my CCP course they told me the police don't want printing. When I went back to research the level of printing I couldn't find anything in the statute.

Maybe I juts don't know the terminology used.

Anyone know what the law says about printing?

MikeLovell

Public Act 098-0063 HB0183 Enrolled LRB098 05760 MGM 35799 b AN ACT concerning regulation.

Be it enacted by the People of the State of Illinois, represented in the General Assembly:

Section 1. Short title. This Act may be cited as the Firearm Concealed Carry Act.

Section 5. Definitions. As used in this Act:
[ ... ]
"Concealed firearm" means a loaded or unloaded handgun carried on or about a person completely or mostly concealed from view of the public or on or about a person within a vehicle.

Ah, I thought it was a different clause or something.

I guess we won't fully know until somebody gets busted!

junglebob

Not an OC question, but still...

When I took my CCP course they told me the police don't want printing. When I went back to research the level of printing I couldn't find anything in the statute.

Maybe I juts don't know the terminology used.

Anyone know what the law says about printing?

Maybe your instructor is right and where you live the police don't want printing. However the law says nothing about printing, just that your handgun needs to be concealed or mostly concealed. Your police many not want you carrying on a FCCL either, doesn't matter either.

MikeLovell

Maybe your instructor is right and where you live the police don't want printing. However the law says nothing about printing, just that your handgun needs to be concealed or mostly concealed. Your police many not want you carrying on a FCCL either, doesn't matter either.

Yes, this is what they probably meant. I guess when they trained the trainers, they were told this.

Until somebody gets charged and we have a test case, I'm still a bit nervous about that. You know what the police are like here.

junglebob

Yes, this is what they probably meant. I guess when they trained the trainers, they were told this.

Until somebody gets charged and we have a test case, I'm still a bit nervous about that. You know what the police are like here.

I don't recall the instructor in my concealed carry class warning about printing. I think I would have remembered. Of course I am in Southern Illinois, south of I64 and over 300 miles from Chicago so things are more gun friendly here. A local bank has a sign that says SECURITY NOTICE: The lawful carry of concealed firearms is permitted on this property. A bank in another town has a sign that says Protected by Smith & Wesson, the bank president says some of his employees carry, and always have.

Last edited:

WalkingWolf

Are we talking about printing not intentionally, or intentional printing because OC is not legal in Illinios. If the second there would be better ways to let people know you are armed. Some of the CC crowd around here are prone to wearing gun branded clothing, which does not make sense in NC, but would in Illinois. There is no law anywhere that I know of against wearing such clothing.

MikeLovell

Are we talking about printing not intentionally, or intentional printing because OC is not legal in Illinios. If the second there would be better ways to let people know you are armed. Some of the CC crowd around here are prone to wearing gun branded clothing, which does not make sense in NC, but would in Illinois. There is no law anywhere that I know of against wearing such clothing.

Well, this is something else that's debatable.

Although having the bottom half of your holster sticking out from under your shirt, and the barrel being visible would technically not be against the exact wording of the law. I would imagine as soon as somebody tries the courts will clarify exactly what's supposed to happen.

I wouldn't risk it personally. Not unless everybody will have a whip around for my legal costs! :cool:

I have a lot of holsters that cover >50% of the firearm. I'd certainly be arrested. But the law is clumsily written and I don't think it would be against the law (as written). I also don't see a judge agreeing with me though.