• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Post your open carry experiences and encounters

mynameiscolb

I was at Academy in OKC this afternoon (240/Walker????) and some guy was in the ammunition section of the store open carrying what looked to me like a 1911...... Don't know for sure but I know for sure that he had it jammed down his belt about at the 5 o-clock position. No holster/no retention/ just stuck into his belt....... Anyone could have walked up near him and pulled his piece. We don't need that kind of OC. JMHO

The Dove
Jeez. I'm also pretty sure that's not a legal way to carry. I seem to recall the law states it must be in a holster.

The Dove

I'm sorry about not pointing out my intent for posting this. Yes, according to what I have learned, in Oklahoma, the firearm must be secured in a compatible holster. I'm paraphrasing of course...... I am all for and do OC myself, but I do it in accordance with the law. End of rant. Thanks

The Dove

hrdware

I'm sorry about not pointing out my intent for posting this. Yes, according to what I have learned, in Oklahoma, the firearm must be carried in a belt or shoulder holster. I'm paraphrasing of course...... I am all for and do OC myself, but I do it in accordance with the law. End of rant. Thanks

The Dove

Fixed it for ya. Nothing in the law mentions a firearm being secured in a holster or any type of retention to be used. The law does specify where on your body you may openly carry a firearm.

Last edited:

Glock 1st fan

I'm sorry about not pointing out my intent for posting this. Yes, according to what I have learned, in Oklahoma, the firearm must be secured in a compatible holster. I'm paraphrasing of course...... I am all for and do OC myself, but I do it in accordance with the law. End of rant. Thanks

The Dove

Interstingly most holsters are designed to some how be either belt or shoulder compatible though there are some odd holsters out there the majority of commercial holsters are designed to be worn as such.

There are thigh holsters and though they do hang lower then traditional holsters the majority of them are designed to be anchored to a belt on the waist.

As far as O.C. I O.C. at work so much that by the time I am off work I really dont want to O.C. Nothing is wrong with it and I fully support it but its just not something I care for. Possibly from nearly 80 hours a week of wearing a duty rig and its starting to take its toll on me. (Again this is not a good comparison since duty rigs are significantly heavier then simply wearing a firearm in a holster)

Anyway to prove your partially correct here is the exert of exactly how you should carry.

TITLE 21 § 1290.2
DEFINITIONS
A.As used in the Oklahoma Self Defense Act

1. “Concealed handgun” means a loaded or unloaded pistol the presence of which is not openly discernible to the ordinary observation of a reasonable person

2. “Unconcealed handgun” means a loaded or unloaded pistol carried upon the person in a belt holster or shoulder holster that is wholly or partially visible, or carried upon the person in a scabbard or case designed for carrying firearms that is wholly or partially visible and

3. Pistol means any derringer, revolver or semiautomatic firearm which:
a. has an overall length of less that sixteen (16) inches,
b. is capable of discharging a projectile composed of any material which may reasonably be expected to be able to cause lethal
injury,
c. is designed to be held and fired by the use of a single hand, and
d. uses either gunpowder, gas or any means of rocket propulsion to discharge the projectile.
B. The definition of pistol for purposes of the Oklahoma Self Defense Act shall not apply to homemade or imitation pistols, flare guns, underwater fishing guns or blank pistols.

Last edited:

Robert318

I was at Academy in OKC this afternoon (240/Walker????) and some guy was in the ammunition section of the store open carrying what looked to me like a 1911...... Don't know for sure but I know for sure that he had it jammed down his belt about at the 5 o-clock position. No holster/no retention/ just stuck into his belt....... Anyone could have walked up near him and pulled his piece. We don't need that kind of OC. JMHO

The Dove

The Dove

As it turns out, you are apparently correct:
"You must keep the pistol on your person and in a belt or shoulder holster, or in a scabbard or case designed for carrying firearms."
http://www.ok.gov/governor/OpenCarryFAQ.html

Interstingly most holsters are designed to some how be either belt or shoulder compatible though there are some odd holsters out there the majority of commercial holsters are designed to be worn as such.

There are thigh holsters and though they do hang lower then traditional holsters the majority of them are designed to be anchored to a belt on the waist.

As far as O.C. I O.C. at work so much that by the time I am off work I really dont want to O.C. Nothing is wrong with it and I fully support it but its just not something I care for. Possibly from nearly 80 hours a week of wearing a duty rig and its starting to take its toll on me. (Again this is not a good comparison since duty rigs are significantly heavier then simply wearing a firearm in a holster)

Anyway to prove your correct here is the exert.

TITLE 21 § 1290.2
DEFINITIONS
A.As used in the Oklahoma Self Defense Act

1. “Concealed handgun” means a loaded or unloaded pistol the presence of which is not openly discernible to the ordinary observation of a reasonable person

2. “Unconcealed handgun” means a loaded or unloaded pistol carried upon the person in a belt holster or shoulder holster that is wholly or partially visible, or carried upon the person in a scabbard or case designed for carrying firearms that is wholly or partially visible and

3. Pistol means any derringer, revolver or semiautomatic firearm which:
a. has an overall length of less that sixteen (16) inches,
b. is capable of discharging a projectile composed of any material which may reasonably be expected to be able to cause lethal
injury,
c. is designed to be held and fired by the use of a single hand, and
d. uses either gunpowder, gas or any means of rocket propulsion to discharge the projectile.
B. The definition of pistol for purposes of the Oklahoma Self Defense Act shall not apply to homemade or imitation pistols, flare guns, underwater fishing guns or blank pistols.

Maybe you guys are reading it differently than I am, but the way I read it you can carry open anywhere on your body as long as it is in a case or scabbard designed for carrying a firearm. Though it does mention being in a belt or shoulder holster, it says "or" which makes in a scabbard or case inclusive. So if for some strange reason beyond me if someone had it in a holster(which could also be deemed a scabbord) and carried on their head, forearm, ankle, or anywhere else on their person and holster, case, or scabbord was wholly are partially open it would be within the wording of the statute.

And there are holsters that are IWB but are small and often are not visible outside the beltine save mabye a clip or two that holds it in place and are also mostly hidden by the belt itself. So just because you see what you think is a gun tucked in the waistline and you cant see a holster doesn't necessarily mean there is no holster.

And this interpretation is mine and not intended to be legal advice as I am not an attorney.

Glock 1st fan

Maybe you guys are reading it differently than I am, but the way I read it you can carry open anywhere on your body as long as it is in a case or scabbard designed for carrying a firearm. Though it does mention being in a belt or shoulder holster, it says "or" which makes in a scabbard or case inclusive. So if for some strange reason beyond me if someone had it in a holster(which could also be deemed a scabbord) and carried on their head, forearm, ankle, or anywhere else on their person and holster, case, or scabbord was wholly are partially open it would be within the wording of the statute.

And there are holsters that are IWB but are small and often are not visible outside the beltine save mabye a clip or two that holds it in place and are also mostly hidden by the belt itself. So just because you see what you think is a gun tucked in the waistline and you cant see a holster doesn't necessarily mean there is no holster.

And this interpretation is mine and not intended to be legal advice as I am not an attorney.

For the concealed it really does not state anything about how it has to be carried but for open carry it does state that it has to be carried as you said. That part in itself does appear to be poor wording as to how or where the scabbard or case can be carried though I think it would look a little awkward carring a scabbard heal and other places you mention. But I think you are correct with that it does appear a scabbard and or case can be worn in any way a person can get it to work for them. :confused:

okiephlyer

Tried a new (for me) restaurant in Durant, Ceviche's. Good food, reasonable prices. A few people noticed, but no one acted like they cared. I'll be back.

okiephlyer

Took the family to BBQ at Oklahoma Joe's last night near Bass Pro. I'm pretty sure the only person to notice was my son's GF. She is from NYC and not used to such things. Anyway, good food and good times. Ran across some friends from church and also our neighbor and his family and their parents with their siblings. It was interesting going to a restaurant and knowing most of the people there.

Last edited:

Glock 1st fan

Took the family to BBQ at Oklahoma Joe's last night near Bass Pro. I'm pretty sure the only person to notice was my son's GF. She is from NYC and not used to such things. Anyway, good food and good times. Ran across some friends from church and also our neighbor and his family and theie parents with their siblings. It was interesting going to a restaurant and knowing most of the people their.

Hey nothing wrong with someone from New York seeing an open carry :) If she sees its not a bad thing perhaps she may become an advocate for it back in New York. Lord only knows they need some help breaking the Regime they have in place!

okiephlyer

Hey nothing wrong with someone from New York seeing an open carry :) If she sees its not a bad thing perhaps she may become an advocate for it back in New York. Lord only knows they need some help breaking the Regime they have in place!

I doubt she will become an advocate. Her family is a group of Obama praising libs that think government is the solution to all problems. This was more of an "in your face" moment for me. I raised my son better, but after a few years of college he joined the dark side, but he's still my son.

ddillman

Possibly another dumb question.....

Ok, this may be a dumb question. I am reading some of what you guys are saying and I have always concealed my handgun in a holster when carrying. Just my personal preference. BUT, I was talking to a guy this weekend at the gun show and he was talking about carrying a Diamondback 380. He was saying he just carries it in his pocket since the gun was so small and compact. So, is that legal? If the law says in something, is he breaking the law?

okiephlyer

First - I am not a laywer so don't rely on me for legal advise.
Second - my advise is free and worth everything you pay for it.

About carrying a pistol loose in a pocket, I think it is a dumb idea. There needs to be something that will protect the trigger and keep it from activating. Using a "pocket holster" or something similar protects the trigger and also helps break up the outline.

http://www.ok.gov/osbi/documents/SDA_Lawbook_NOV_2014.pdf

This link should take you to the official Self Defense Act booklet so you can read for yourself what is allowed and not allowed.

ddillman

I agree with you. I myself thought you had to have a holster. I asked him about protecting trigger and he said the gun has a long draw on the trigger. I didn't want to argue much since I had know idea who he was. If it were a family member, I would have advised differently and insisted on something in the pocket to protect trigger.

"Life is hard. It's harder when you are stupid. " - John Wayne

Glock 1st fan

I agree with you. I myself thought you had to have a holster. I asked him about protecting trigger and he said the gun has a long draw on the trigger. I didn't want to argue much since I had know idea who he was. If it were a family member, I would have advised differently and insisted on something in the pocket to protect trigger.

"Life is hard. It's harder when you are stupid. " - John Wayne

There are many guns specifically designed for pocket carry out there but I have to agree its not the best idea. I have carried with specially designed holsters in the pocket for non essential things like going to and from the range but even these pose issues trying to pull in an emergency.

Secondly as mentioned pockets often become a collection of coins and various other things that can end up entering the trigger guard on many firearms and could cause a discharge too.

So in a nut shell this is not the best idea in my opinion so I would avoid it!