• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

James v ACoE

Fallschirjmäger

By Rhonda Cook
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

A Paulding County man and a gun rights group have filed a lawsuit to force the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers to allow firearms at Lake Allatoona campgrounds and on the boat ramp and at other lakes operated by the federal agency.

The suit filed Friday said the decision by the commander of the district that governs Allatoona and other lakes in the Apalachicola-Chattahoochee-Flint River Basin was unconstitutional when he denied David James’ request to be allowed to bring a gun with him on his frequent camping and boating trips to Lake Allatoona northwest of Atlanta.

... continued at the link above

If I'm correct this will be James v. Army Corps of Engineers. And for those who recognize the name, the attorney is Georgia Carry's own John R. Monroe who is very active in the firearms rights community. Additional thread on Georgia Packing.Org.

Last edited:

JamesCanby

Activist Member
Alexandria, VA at www.NoVA-MDSelfDefense.com
Considering the decision of the Idaho case, I think the ACoE is up crap creek without so much as a rubber dinghy.

http://www.usrkba.org/images/pdf/coreofeng10132014.pdf

And I'm sorry, if a law or rule put in place by a federal authority is found unconstitutional in one state, then its unconstitutional EVERYWHERE, district be damned.

That's not the way it works. One federal district can decide a case one way and a different federal district can decide a similar case in the opposite way. That's why the SCOTUS is the final arbiter of which decision should prevail.

cjasper

Here is an idea. Stage a protest where notice is given that citizens will openly carry firearms onto corps of engineers land (not inside buildings, but just into the woods or something). Get enough people together so it happens on at least one property in every federal district in the nation. When nothing happens (because ACOE Rangers are NOT law enforcement and can't affect an arrest) then precedent is set and everyone will know their rule is crap.

DeSchaine

That's not the way it works. One federal district can decide a case one way and a different federal district can decide a similar case in the opposite way. That's why the SCOTUS is the final arbiter of which decision should prevail.

Yeah... and that makes no sense at all. And I really like the idea CJasper had. That would be a good one to take on.