• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Greensboro NC gun friendly trails

PerBast

Oh the first warm day in which my wife and I were able to get out and begin our walks. We have a park that we have been walking in in the south eastern side of Greensboro but it s clearly posted no guns. It is a safe enough place, but I would still like to be able to have my handgun with me. Especially when I walk the second mile and have to leave my wife sitting alone in the car I fear for her.

Anybody know a park/walking trails near the interstate 85/40 merge.

Michael

Dreamer

Oh the first warm day in which my wife and I were able to get out and begin our walks. We have a park that we have been walking in in the south eastern side of Greensboro but it s clearly posted no guns. It is a safe enough place, but I would still like to be able to have my handgun with me. Especially when I walk the second mile and have to leave my wife sitting alone in the car I fear for her.

Anybody know a park/walking trails near the interstate 85/40 merge.

Michael

I'm pretty sure that Greensboro is one of the cities in NC that has bans on carrying on ANY city property (including parks and trails) which are questionably legal under State Preemption.

Either conceal and take the risk of getting caught, or volunteer to be a test case, or don't carry at all--those are your only real options...

solus

I'm pretty sure that Greensboro is one of the cities in NC that has bans on carrying on ANY city property (including parks and trails) which are questionably legal under State Preemption.

Either conceal and take the risk of getting caught, or volunteer to be a test case, or don't carry at all--those are your only real options...

first welcome back...

the following change in 2015 in NC statutes transpired:

§ 14-415.23. Statewide uniformity.
(a) It is the intent of the General Assembly to prescribe a uniform system for the regulation of legally carrying a concealed handgun. To insure uniformity, no political subdivisions, boards, or agencies of the State nor any county, city, municipality, municipal corporation, town, township, village, nor any department or agency thereof, may enact ordinances, rules, or regulations concerning legally carrying a concealed handgun. A unit of local government may adopt an ordinance to permit the posting of a prohibition against carrying a concealed handgun, in accordance with G.S. 14-415.11(c), on local government buildings and their appurtenant premises.
(b) A unit of local government may adopt an ordinance to prohibit, by posting, the carrying of a concealed handgun on municipal and county recreational facilities that are specifically identified by the unit of local government. If a unit of local government adopts such an ordinance with regard to recreational facilities, then the concealed handgun permittee may, nevertheless, secure the handgun in a locked vehicle within the trunk, glove box, or other enclosed compartment or area within or on the motor vehicle.
(c) For purposes of this section, the term "recreational facilities" includes only the following:
(1) An athletic field, including any appurtenant facilities such as restrooms, during an organized athletic event if the field had been scheduled for use with the municipality or county office responsible for operation of the park or recreational area.
(2) A swimming pool, including any appurtenant facilities used for dressing, storage of personal items, or other uses relating to the swimming pool.
(3) A facility used for athletic events, including, but not limited to, a gymnasium.
(d) For the purposes of this section, the term "recreational facilities" does not include any greenway, designated biking or walking path, an area that is customarily used as a walkway or bike path although not specifically designated for such use, open areas or fields where athletic events may occur unless the area qualifies as an "athletic field" pursuant to subdivision (1) of subsection (c) of this section, and any other area that is not specifically described in subsection (c) of this section.
(e) A person adversely affected by any ordinance, rule, or regulation promulgated or caused to be enforced by any unit of local government in violation of this section may bring an action for declaratory and injunctive relief and for actual damages arising from the violation. The court shall award the prevailing party in an action brought under this subsection reasonable attorneys' fees and court costs as authorized by law. (1995, c. 398, s. 1; 2011-268, s. 21(b); 2013-369, s. 6; 2015-195, s. 15.) http://www.ncga.state.nc.us/enactedlegislation/statutes/html/bysection/chapter_14/gs_14-415.23.html

this should assist the initial poster tho their query was seven months ago...

ipse

Last edited: