• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Is Florida permit worth it?

IA_farmboy

I got my renewal packet in the mail today from the Florida Department of Agriculture. I see that I'll have to pay fees in excess of $100, get photos taken (which I recall costs $15), and have my fingerprints taken again. I took a look at a reciprocity map and with an Iowa resident permit the addition of a Florida permit would gain me New Mexico, Virginia, and Delaware. I have no plans to visit any of those states but I may end up traveling through Virginia if I drive to visit my sister in North Carolina. Last time I did that I drove around Illinois just to avoid even the chance of being stopped by law enforcement there, which also made any crossing into Virginia improbable.

Any of you with a Florida permit intend to keep it any more?

amaixner

Minnesota was my reason for keeping a UT/FL permit, but they screwed the pooch (or more accurately, their politicians f------- them over) up there with reciprocity so I have not much reason any more.

It looks like a secondary North Dakota permit may be the best way to go now, but I haven't looked into it since I lived there a decade+ ago.

Last edited:

solus

I got my renewal packet in the mail today from the Florida Department of Agriculture. I see that I'll have to pay fees in excess of $100, get photos taken (which I recall costs $15), and have my fingerprints taken again. I took a look at a reciprocity map and with an Iowa resident permit the addition of a Florida permit would gain me New Mexico, Virginia, and Delaware. I have no plans to visit any of those states but I may end up traveling through Virginia if I drive to visit my sister in North Carolina. Last time I did that I drove around Illinois just to avoid even the chance of being stopped by law enforcement there, which also made any crossing into Virginia improbable.

Any of you with a Florida permit intend to keep it any more?

save your money and spend it for gas money to visit your family in the tarheel state....
ya'l stop on last rest area west of IL, lock firearms up, stop on first rest area east of IL & get them out and continue to toddle through TN, and keep on coming through. you can open carry to your hearts content here w/o a permit...

if you are visiting east of greensboro...hollar and if you are willing...meet for lunch/early dinner...

ipse

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
...Any of you with a Florida permit intend to keep it any more?

Not me. With my NV and UT permits, the only state it gets me is FL itself. I made it there only twice during this 7-year period, and most of the time I wasn't able to legally carry anyway because of my activities.

IA_farmboy

save your money and spend it for gas money to visit your family in the tarheel state....
I did some quick math and I figure about 1800 miles round trip, about 300 miles on a tank of gas, about $40 per tank, and I get $240 for cost of fuel. The savings on not getting a permit gets me one way. Last time I went I took a leisurely pace, did some sightseeing, and so it took me four days out and back took three days. I slept in my truck at camp sites (typically $25 per night and I get Wi-fi internet and a hot shower), ate food I packed at a picnic table (except for one stormy night where I ate at a KFC), and had a great time with not a whole lot of money. I plan to do that again, only with less sightseeing.

ya'l stop on last rest area west of IL, lock firearms up, stop on first rest area east of IL & get them out and continue to toddle through TN, and keep on coming through. you can open carry to your hearts content here w/o a permit...
Excellent idea. I should get a proper holster for my 1911 though, the one I have is not pretty or comfortable.

if you are visiting east of greensboro...hollar and if you are willing...meet for lunch/early dinner...
My sister and her husband live outside of Asheville but I'll keep that in mind. I'd like to head out there this summer some time.

IA_farmboy

Not me. With my NV and UT permits, the only state it gets me is FL itself. I made it there only twice during this 7-year period, and most of the time I wasn't able to legally carry anyway because of my activities.

With Minnesota no longer recognizing the Utah permit, and Utah now requiring non-residents to have a resident permit to get theirs, I had no reason to keep my Utah permit. When I got the Utah permit Iowa was may issue, the Utah permit was recognized in Minnesota and many other states, and Utah didn't require a resident permit.

Tell me, can one obtain the NV permit by mail? With that recognized in Minnesota, and just generally widely recognized in many states, that might be something I'd consider.

I'll do a little looking for options myself as I may do some traveling this summer. One big problem is Illinois, that's just a big "no freedom zone" in this land of the free. I've pretty much convinced myself that both the Utah and Florida permits are not worth the cost. The Illinois permit would be a no-brainer if it wasn't for the excessive cost.

If I cannot get a permit by mail then I'd like to find a permit I can obtain in a short amount of time. Any state that requires a multi-day class and testing process is out. A one day class and application process is acceptable but not preferred. I'd like to have the permit before I get there but getting the application in for a future visit would be useful if not optimal.

JustaShooter

stop on last rest area west of IL, lock firearms up, stop on first rest area east of IL & get them out and continue to toddle through TN,

Te OP is certainly welcome to do so, but IL's somewhat recently enacted concealed carry legislation allows anyone with a license from their state to carry in their vehicle - but if they exit the vehicle they must unload and put the firearm in a case, or leave it in the vehicle and lock it up.

(e) Nothing in this Act shall prohibit a non-resident from transporting a concealed firearm within his or her vehicle in Illinois, if the concealed firearm remains within his or her vehicle and the non-resident:

(1) is not prohibited from owning or possessing a firearm under federal law;

(2) is eligible to carry a firearm in public under the laws of his or her state or territory of residence, as evidenced by the possession of a concealed carry license or permit issued by his or her state of residence, if applicable; and

(3) is not in possession of a license under this Act.
If the non-resident leaves his or her vehicle unattended, he or she shall store the firearm within a locked vehicle or locked container within the vehicle in accordance with subsection (b) of Section 65 of this Act.
(Source: P.A. 98-63, eff. 7-9-13; 98-600, eff. 12-6-13.)