• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NC OC experience reports

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Stopped by the local Navy Federal Credit Union to open an account this afternoon. Nobody said anything at all about the gun until I mentioned why I was there instead of across the road at the Bragg Mutual Credit Union. Bragg has a sign denying me entry, Navy does not. The lady I was dealing with (April Skipper), although not fully on board with guns in a financial institution, explained that they were originally posted but have changed policy.
Score one for the good guys.

RadBanker

Stopped for snacks, restroom, and gas at the Shell station at 3101 Summit Ave. in Greensboro on Saturday morning. Cashier stared directly at my Sig during the entire transaction, but said nothing. Was my first "Excuse me ma'am, my eyes are up here" moment, but that may just be because I don't have a glorious beard.

solus

while out and about after bkfast at IHOP (alas CC'g) stopped at Verizon and chatted up a young man carrying what appeared to be a Shield on his stong side at the counter as his wife conducted the business at hand.

he was provided info re this site and i suspect, or hope, he might pop soon.

solus

lowered my standards and empty holster'd in Olive Garden then reinstalled the FN 9Compact where it belonged and boogied down to center of town and visit Beak Week Festival and enjoyed the exemplary music of Band of OZ. while it is understood the main day is 9 Sept, there were no food vendors and minimal folks from oldsters standing about with the youngsters, running, and enjoy the music with their caregivers. Music finished at 2000L which for a Friday night kinda surprised me and the 'festival' was finished for the evening ~ sigh!!

solus

oh dear, forgive my oversight...

met with friends at IHOP for brunch yesterday and i watched a young man, w/his partner, and young baby, and immediately noticed his xd being OC'd. stopped by at their table and passed on the site's url and invited them to come out and say hello...

then off to Lowes where i was chastised by an employee for carrying my 'wussie' gun (S&W shield 9) i smiled and asked where his firearm was? got flipped off as he laughed ...go figure!!

bc.cruiser

Yesterday (Saturday) afternoon, I went to my usual Wells Fargo branch. As I started in a man on a Harley yelled that I couldn't go in there, and patted his side where his OC gun hung. I went to him and asked what he was talking about. He stated "You can't go into a bank with a gun", followed by "Look, there's another guy going in with a gun". We had a few minutes chat on current law and policies of various banks and credit unions. He left a happier man that he did not have to disarm at this bank anymore. His other bank is still a problem. Once inside, I talked to two other OCers, and a young woman who expressed her appreciation that we did carry, saying she felt safer with us around.

Later, I saw a 40-something woman OCing a .38 revolver at the Food Lion.

Five in one day. This town is getting full of OC people.:cool:

solus

Morehead City Seafood Festival

since crowds and i inherently dislike each other, drove to the festival yesterday and enjoyed sparsel crowds and walked around the closed streets looking at the vendors’wares and indulging in snippets of a variety of seafood concoctions w/various levels of tastiness!

initally concerned about reaction to my oc’d handgun, then discerned nobody in the scant attendees noticed, not even the nice LEs dressed so well in their black polos in the full blaring sun.

well worth the drive to the event.

sidebar, truly wondered about the ROI of the merchant who’s only item was bbq spatulas hanging off numerous hooks around their kiosk.

Last edited:

Bearfoot

Had a very excellent day in the OC world today. The wife and I went to Washington for our first visit to Bill's hot dogs. Was not disappointed. While in line, a LEO came in, and we talked about this being our first visit to Bill's. He replied, "You'll be back." On our way out he asked what I was carrying. I told him, and he said "Good one to have, especially this day and time with the way things have been going on around us. You guys have a blessed day." I thanked him and replied in kind. Made a couple of other stops, all went well.

Last edited:

rogue66

Had a very excellent day in the OC world today. The wife and I went to Washington for our first visit to Bill's hot dogs. Was not disappointed. While in line, a LEO came in, and we talked about this being our first visit to Bill's. He replied, "You'll be back." On our way out he asked what I was carrying. I told him, and he said "Good one to have, especially this day and time with the way things have been going on around us. You guys have a blessed day." I thanked him and replied in kind. Made a couple of other stops, all went well.

Sounds like a great day! Who doesn't enjoy a good hot dog!

solus

new group running a local gun show this weekend in Kinston MC but their internet promo is quite explicit...

NO LOADED FIREARMS!

Loaded guns, in any form, handguns, rifles, shotguns, are not allowed in the show (personal protection weapons included). This does include any and all personal protection firearms. A concealed carry permit does not exempt anyone from this rule! Law enforcement MUST show proper ID at the door.

https://www.firstlightguns.com/gun-shows

will let apprise how good the new group does...Wilmington so far is the best show east of 95

solus

new group running a local gun show this weekend in Kinston MC but their internet promo is quite explicit...

NO LOADED FIREARMS!

Loaded guns, in any form, handguns, rifles, shotguns, are not allowed in the show (personal protection weapons included). This does include any and all personal protection firearms. A concealed carry permit does not exempt anyone from this rule! Law enforcement MUST show proper ID at the door.

https://www.firstlightguns.com/gun-shows

will let apprise how good the new group does...Wilmington so far is the best show east of 95

well drove over, paid my $5, walked in saw the knife tableS, saw the reloading table(s) set up large square on one end in the center of the venue, saw the ammo tableS, saw the canvas bag tableS, saw the emblem tableS...oh ya, saw the couple of firearm tables...couple was it! I did not even stop at the table offering BBQ something or other out of a very small cooker into small sample cups w/o wearing gloves as he used his fingers to assure the sample went into the sample cup 'nicely'.

25 minutes walked out and that was including time spent at the reloading table and looking at a heavily used Ruger J-frame with scratches on the cylinder where it looks like the ratchet rubbed.

highlight occurred right after i paid admission, standing next to that window having an older gentleman struggle to put on the nylon tie to keep my firearm open ~ ties too short to handle a full sized semi, the admission fellow asked what i was carrying, nodded to the gentleman trying to tie the firearm who then handed my 'unloaded' firearm to the admission fellow all the while flashing me and the admission fellow just continuously flashed both of us as he fondled the firearm!!

oh the gentleman got my firearm tied, then just released the slide which promptly cut the tie in two, shrugged and stuffed it back in my holster...

BTW, place was empty!!

gryos were good at the Olympian restaurant in town as was the visit to NEUSE Sports but quite concerned the place was void of customers, nobody at the range(s) tho noticed a couple of young'n from the gunshow wander in, buy something and then leave.

Dreamer

World Market, Greensboro

I work at the new World Market in Greensboro. Although they have a STRICT "no weapons" policy for employees (even prohibiting non-company-approved boxcutters!?!), the building is NOT posted.

Today, I saw an African American couple in their mid 30s, and the guy was OCing. I couldn't identify the make or model of his handgun, but I approached him with a knowing smile, and asked "Off-duty, or Open Carry Enthusiast?"

He smiled, and said "Just Open Carry."

I said "Thank you--I appreciate that," and stuck out my hand for a handshake, which he gladly accepted.

I wonder how long it will be before some of the management at World Market (which is a San Francisco, CA-based company) looks into "posting" this location. I, for one, hope they don't...

Carry on, y'all!
--Dreamer

Last edited:

Dreamer

Does this grocer require a post graduate degree to be employed there?

Hope the pay is commensurate with the number of letters after your name.

Unfortunately at the age of 52, with 35+ years experience in my field, graduate-level work, and being a published art history author, professional artist with shows and residencies under my belt, and several years of college-level teaching experience, I've pretty much "experienced myself out of the market".

The pay I get working here is about as close to an insult as you can get with dollar signs on it. But it pays for my studio and art supplies, and trips to the range. ;-)

And I get the opportunity to educate our customers about wines and beers from all over the world, and perhaps raise their expectations and experience of fine potables.

And I get to meet the occasional OCer in Greensboro, and let them know that they are not merely tolerated, but sincerely appreciated!

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Unfortunately at the age of 52, with 35+ years experience in my field, graduate-level work, and being a published art history author, professional artist with shows and residencies under my belt, and several years of college-level teaching experience, I've pretty much "experienced myself out of the market".

The pay I get working here is about as close to an insult as you can get with dollar signs on it. But it pays for my studio and art supplies, and trips to the range. ;-)

And I get the opportunity to educate our customers about wines and beers from all over the world, and perhaps raise their expectations and experience of fine potables.

And I get to meet the occasional OCer in Greensboro, and let them know that they are not merely tolerated, but sincerely appreciated!
Life is what it is - we do not deal the cards. Have to play the ones we get. Good for finding a way for pursuing that which you enjoy.

You have earned the admiration and loyalty of many here including myself. Carry on Sir Knight.