• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

How long does it take to get a pistol permit in CT

jun

Just got a call from my town for my 60 Day Temp to be picked up.
It took 121 days or 3 months, 29 days excluding the end date.

I'm upset it took so long and glad at the same time. :D

Now I get to drive all the way to Middletown and interact with cocky and fresh state employees :banghead:

19LG

Now I get to drive all the way to Middletown and interact with cocky and fresh state employees :banghead:

Congrats!

color of law

Accomplished Advocate

Just think, you get to go through this in 5 years!!!!!!

19LG

Ehhh~
Congrats on what?
Being a law abiding citizen?
Doing what any normal human being should be doing by obeying the law?
Thanks anyways and sorry for the cynicism.

Lol. Trying to be a glass half full guy. You just learned a valuable life lesson of patience!!

solus

Ehhh~
Congrats on what?
Being a law abiding citizen?
Doing what any normal human being should be doing by obeying the law?
Thanks anyways and sorry for the cynicism.

ED1E9732-69D3-4B2E-B4A3-24EA8AF39CCB.jpeg

Careful jun the nice CT KeyStone Kops know you got your permit and await’n your neighbours to call on you for exhibiting threatening behaviour towards them :uhoh:

solus

Lol. Trying to be a glass half full guy. You just learned a valuable life lesson of patience!!

Really, this rhetoric from a member towards another CT citizen both whose firearm rights have been purposely abrogated by the state & community officials against CT statutory mandates ~ I have not seen such complacency, acquiescence, and defeatism attitude in the entire time I have walked the lands of this planet.

Trully unbelievable...

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
Really, this rhetoric from a member towards another CT citizen both whose firearm rights have been purposely abrogated by the state & community officials against CT statutory mandates ~ I have not seen such complacency, acquiescence, and defeatism attitude in the entire time I have walked the lands of this planet.

Trully unbelievable...

It's called public indoctrination.

solus

Thanks solus!

Ok, please PM email addys of those you believe involved, e.g., local community leaders - municipal attorney/mayor/sheriff/chief; state level leaders...

FORUM MEMBERSHIP...
1. Need a generic statement posted out here asking why the CT’s local/state agencies are abrogating CT’s statutory timeframes for conceal carry.

2. I’ll get and post an email listing so those who wish to participate to take a moment to send the statement to Governor & State’s representatives.

To preclude attribution please no names or specifics which could identify those members who are currently stuck in the State’s gauntlet.

thanks.

[sidebar...sorry 19LG, I’m one who when the container is half full I ur-n-8 in the container to get it full again!]

Locks

It’s my right

I applied for my permit last week of march, for 4 months i got nothing but the runaround. Finally a response from an officer who said he was taking over the permit processing but said it would still be a while because he is only one man and needs to do over 20 permits for the month of march including talking to all of our neighbors and family members? It has now been 6 months and since when do they talk to your neighbors and family?

19LG

I applied for my permit last week of march, for 4 months i got nothing but the runaround. Finally a response from an officer who said he was taking over the permit processing but said it would still be a while because he is only one man and needs to do over 20 permits for the month of march including talking to all of our neighbors and family members? It has now been 6 months and since when do they talk to your neighbors and family?

I've never heard of that but it could be something your department does that other departments don't. What town is this?

19LG

Windsor Locks

My understanding of the law is they have 1 week to approve or deny after receiving the checks back from the state. You should call the State and get the date they sent your background check back to the town. Based on that file an appeal. That might be enough to get your application out from the pile of 20 to the front of the line.

solus

I've never heard of that but it could be something your department does that other departments don't. What town is this?

As your half empty glass loses even more fluid solely on whim...yet 19LG et al., you still sit in quiet complacency to learn your life’s goal of patience?

Truly fasinating!

Locks

My understanding of the law is they have 1 week to approve or deny after receiving the checks back from the state. You should call the State and get the date they sent your background check back to the town. Based on that file an appeal. That might be enough to get your application out from the pile of 20 to the front of the line.

Filing an appeal will only put a target on my back since they do absolutely nothing. In fact the police officer has already encouraged me to do so and told me over the phone that it would accomplish nothing. It wasn’t a very pleasant conversation but the the fact is there is nothing I can do but wait.

solus

quote: My understanding of the law...unquote, means per forum mandates, let's see number five I believe, oh ya here it is: http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/misc.php?do=showrules

(5) CITE TO AUTHORITY: If you state a rule of law, it is incumbent upon you to try to cite, as best you can, to authority. Citing to authority, using links when available,is what makes OCDO so successful. An authority is a published source of law that can back your claim up - statute, ordinance, court case, newspaper article covering a legal issue, etc.

This handy dandy forum rule takes the "I THINK/SUPPOSE/BELIEVE/COULD be out of any an all conversations and allows other member(s) to provide those they are discussing their issue with objective evidence to show there is a legal cite to present so the offender can stop BS'g them since there isn't!

so 19LG, your cite to authority of "your understanding of the law"?

Johearn

I guess I don't quite understand the reaction some of us have gotten in this thread. Yes it is a five plus year old thread, yes it now has almost 600 posts. This thread happens to be the second hit in google when you search "ct pistol permit wait time" (how I found it), it is also the ONLY thread returned by that search that is still active and therefore is still providing relevant wait time data to current applicants.

The thread also happens to be titled "how long does it take to get a pistol permit in CT", not "how can I compel the state of CT to change it's gun laws". I'm fairly certain the state of CT knew exactly what they were doing when they wrote a statute but provided no penalties to keep the towns honest. They knew that residents would go through the process individually and that once the process was complete would lose any and all interest in changing the process since it would no longer be of impact to them.

This thread lives and the forum gains new membership, though admittedly some (most?) are just passing through, as you suggest, to never return after receiving their permits.

I will say that reading the input of the non CT residents of this thread did inspire me to appeal to the CT Board of Firearms Permit Examiners and I am now awaiting confirmation of a hearing date, so it feels a little better knowing there is an enforceable deadline somewhere on the horizon (though still probably a few months out, and eons past the statute stated 8 weeks). So thank you for spurring me to go a little out of my comfort zone and file that appeal.

BUT, I can also say that I was more than a little offended by the barbs tossed by those non CT residents at what felt like myself and definitely other CT posters. I don't understand the intent of such posts. Toss a few insults here, then flip and try to rally critical mass to change a blue state red there. I can only say that I will most likely go back to lurking here and just provide an occasional update, with my own personal data that directly addresses the thread title's intent so that I may scratch the itch for the next person that comes along from a similar google search.

Thanks for reading

gutshot II

I guess I don't quite understand the reaction some of us have gotten in this thread. Yes it is a five plus year old thread, yes it now has almost 600 posts. This thread happens to be the second hit in google when you search "ct pistol permit wait time" (how I found it), it is also the ONLY thread returned by that search that is still active and therefore is still providing relevant wait time data to current applicants.

The thread also happens to be titled "how long does it take to get a pistol permit in CT", not "how can I compel the state of CT to change it's gun laws". I'm fairly certain the state of CT knew exactly what they were doing when they wrote a statute but provided no penalties to keep the towns honest. They knew that residents would go through the process individually and that once the process was complete would lose any and all interest in changing the process since it would no longer be of impact to them.

This thread lives and the forum gains new membership, though admittedly some (most?) are just passing through, as you suggest, to never return after receiving their permits.

I will say that reading the input of the non CT residents of this thread did inspire me to appeal to the CT Board of Firearms Permit Examiners and I am now awaiting confirmation of a hearing date, so it feels a little better knowing there is an enforceable deadline somewhere on the horizon (though still probably a few months out, and eons past the statute stated 8 weeks). So thank you for spurring me to go a little out of my comfort zone and file that appeal.

BUT, I can also say that I was more than a little offended by the barbs tossed by those non CT residents at what felt like myself and definitely other CT posters. I don't understand the intent of such posts. Toss a few insults here, then flip and try to rally critical mass to change a blue state red there. I can only say that I will most likely go back to lurking here and just provide an occasional update, with my own personal data that directly addresses the thread title's intent so that I may scratch the itch for the next person that comes along from a similar google search.

Thanks for reading

I think you miss the point. Yes, there are almost 600 posts from the last 5 years and now there is no new information to be gained from another post on the same subject that can not be gained from reading all of the many pages with the same question. Do you expect a different answer? After 500+ posts, I'd say the itch has been scratched until it is bleeding. Don't you understand that there will be no different answers unless that answer is even longer delays. This is not an accident. These delays are intentional and will go on until someone can make them obey the law. Asking the same question for the 601st time will not make things all better. It is like taking a car trip with children asking, are we there yet, are we there yet, are we there yet? No, we are not there yet.

solus

Johearn, et al, glad to hear you were motivated to consider alternative avenues to reach your permit objective(s), but were you aware those alternatives were also espoused five years ago which those ‘new passing through members’ fail to read.

Alternatively, 600 posts, espousing the same common concept ~ CT’s law biding citizens are being UNEQUIVOCALLY being abused by state/local officials raised a question how many others are silently enduring this atrocious behaviour by their officials and apparently NOTHING is being done to mitigate the problem.

So Johearn what if DMV failed to promptly provide renewal tags in a timely fashion yet LEs continued to issue citations to drivers with outdated registrations.

Or DMV which renews citizen’s DL through the ‘establshed’ practices but fails to mail them to the citizen within a timely fashion taking 2, 3, 4, 5 weeks before the citizens receives their State ID credential.

You are telling this forum’s membership CT’s citizenary would not be up in arms [pun intended], screaming bloody murder and in an complete uproar...yet here are those ‘few’ citizens trying to obtain something most gave up on obtaining so are meekly acquiescencing to the whims of those officials who are completely abrogating the spirit and intent of the legislative body of the representatives of the citizens of CT.

Sorry Johearn, instead of professing to be offended towards those trying to assist you, perhaps, just perhaps, you might wish to direct your offended sentiments towards those CT officials who are abrogating your State’s statutory privilege.

So ya, Johearn, et al., don’t you believe five years of citizen’s abuse is enough?

Oh a note in passing, this member OCs, w/o need for a privilage permit/license from my State’s government, the moment I awake until in bed, can the citizens of CT do that? further, with five other states carry permits/licenses in my wallet, they do not grant me privilege to carry CC in CT.

Last edited: