• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Search results

1. B

This is why distance is your friend

Sergeant Dennis Tueller was the creator of the "21 foot rule". In retrospect some years later he admitted that 7 yards was likely too close, and modified his position. Another police instructor coined the phrase "Tueller was an optimist" and Dennis didn't disagree.
  2. B

Far-right extremists descend on Richmond for gun rights rally on MLK Day as Trump tweets about attacks on the Second Amendment...

A huge, peaceful turnout today. Attendees even helped clean up the grounds before leaving, according to reports I saw.
  3. B

Winston Salem Fairgrounds firearm policy

Umbrellas actually made me laugh the hardest.
  4. B

Saugus HS, Santa Clarita shooting

Did anyone catch the follow up story which reported that the school resource officer was NOT at the school, but had to respond from elsewhere?
  5. B

Can states eliminate the insanity defense, the common law requirement to mens rea? Orin Kerr Volokh Conspiracy

Specifically, Remus pulled the trigger by the gazebo next to Mirror Lake in Eden Park, where we ran into each other that one time, color of law.
  6. B

Can states eliminate the insanity defense, the common law requirement to mens rea? Orin Kerr Volokh Conspiracy

Sorry about the sidebar but every time I think about the insanity defense, I think of gangster George Remus using it successfully here in Cincinnati. Gunned down his soon to be ex-wife in broad daylight at a public park. Color of law, without looking it up, do you know where that took place?
  7. B

NC OC experience reports

Here in Ohio I'd guess no more than 10% of our CC licensees carry regularly.
  8. B

VA merges with ATF?

That last sentence you bolded reads just like a section of USPS regulations. "..hunting or other lawful purposes." In my opinion nothing but weasel wording, to allow prosecutors to NOT prosecute when a "connected" person is caught. Who the hell hunts at the post office or VA hospital? "Other...
  9. B

VA merges with ATF?

As we know there are now many more VA (mostly outpatient) facilities than in previous times. Thing is, a fair amount are just one rented floor of a medical arts building, or a single large rented storefront in a strip mall. The VA doesn't own THOSE parking lots, but signage sometimes falsely...
  10. B

California Synagogue shooting

An account I read yesterday stated that the rabbi had the gun in a cabinet, with a few of the congregants knowing of its location. Supposedly the rabbi himself retrieved it and gave it to the BP agent. I don't know if that was before or after the rabbi was shot in the hand, losing a couple fingers.
  11. B

Federal Court Judge Rules CA’s “High Capacity” Magazine Ban Unconstitutional

Guessing this heads for the Ninth Circuit Court, where all pro-gun rulings are sent to die?
  12. B

Steak 'n' Shake closed all (?) locations in SW Ohio

Good morning. I did more reading. Steak 'n' Shake must be doing these closures one region at a time (?) In my first post I also meant to state that I feel bad for the employees, the shutdowns came with very little advanced notice.
  13. B

Steak 'n' Shake closed all (?) locations in SW Ohio

This may be bigger than just my area, from a couple of stories from other regions I dug up this morning. It would appear--granted, from what seems like tight-lipped corporate spokepersons quoted--that the company no longer wants to run the restaurants themselves, in favor of making them all...
  14. B

Tertiary laws

Apparently some of the government people whose duties include talking to the media, feel compelled to orate at length regardless of need. Makes it seem (to the dumber among us) like they're DOING something, and they CARE.
  15. B

Rolled in local eatery while OC’g w/loomis carrier inside

Have you ever seen the movie I mentioned, solus? Your description of the security guard and his large single action revolver put me in mind of that flick.
  16. B

Rolled in local eatery while OC’g w/loomis carrier inside

A single action revolver? Wow. Can't help but think of John Candy in "Armed and Dangerous".
  17. B

Lawsuit against OSU

Not sure I should necropost to this old thread, but apparently a settlement was reached between SCCC and OSU this week. In short, it will allow students and others parked on campus to keep (legally owned) firearms locked in their vehicles while parked on university property. No advancement in...
  18. B

Does HB228 outlaw some firearms beginning March 28th? (Correction: Not the 4th or the 24th)

That part seems to be an attempt to give political subdivisions with laws not currently in compliance with ORC 9.68, some more time to get rid of them without legal consequence.
  19. B

No Guns Allowed at Ky. Center for the Arts

Will be watching with interest. Drop the curtain on 'em! ;)