• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Search results

1. J

More bear encounters

I have been doing alot of hiking in SNP and GWNF and have now had 3 separate bear encounters (despite Peter Nap's suggestion that I would probably never see one in my related post), one with mama bear and 2 cubs, others with somewhat sizeable males (I think). The latest happened yesterday going...
  2. J

VCDL sticker, Warrenton today, Nissan SUV/truck, and trip to SNP with bear encounter

Female driver. Was this someone from this site? Spotted today on my way to Shenandoah National Park. Did 9.5 mile "Three Falls" hike. Temp on mountain was low to mid 70s, in 90s down below so alot cooler up there. Swam in a pool at one of the falls, mountain water is cool and fantastic...
  3. J

OC in GW National Forest

Is it legal to OC in the GWNF in West Virginia for a non resident like me (Virginia resident)? Any conditions or pitfalls? Thanks in advance.
  4. J

Don't need to carry while hiking?

I was recently hiking in Shenandoah National Park, approaching a magnificent overview with great rock formations, when I got close to a 4+ foot timber rattlesnake, spotted him from only a few feet away directly in my path. Luckily, the view did not distract me so much that I still spotted him...
  5. J

Hiking/camping in GW National Forrest and SNP while OCing

I am planning on OCing soon in GW National Forest and SNP. I do not have a CHP, so I will be open carrying. I am a little concerned about dealing with rangers, particularly while camping and in a tent. Would a handgun on my person in a tent be allowed? What would I have to do to be...
  6. J

Washington Post editorial distortions

Today's WP gun grabbing editorial includes the following assertions: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2011/01/09/AR2011010904133.html "But metaphors don't kill people - guns kill people....Saturday's rampage does illustrate the need for tighter control of semiautomatic...
  7. J

Skip Coryell

imported post Check out this video with Skip Coryell and the moron Chris Mathews. Skip does a good job and seems to be a good spokesman. http://hotair.com/archives/2010/04/20/video-matthews-engages-in-thoughtful-nuanced-discussion-of-2nd-amendment-limits/
  8. J

OC in restaurant, drinking legal?

imported post If I read the revision to the statute correctly, it prohibits one who carries a concealed handgun from drinking, but does not prohibit an oc'er from drinking. That seems somewhat absurd. I agree with those who feel they should have just repealed the whole thing. And why can cops...
  9. J

VA chp holder charged in philly shooting

imported post Check out the video, the guy is rushed by 4 people while he is pointing the gun at one of them and he shoots one of them. On the news it said he has a Va permit, and that he has been arrested and charged. Might be self defense...
  10. J

Petition for Certiorari in Second Circuit Right To Bear Arms Incorporation Case

imported post This is the Sotomayor case on nunchuku. Short Table of Contents: I. The Circuits Are Divided by the Questions of Whether the Second Amendment Is Incorporated Against the States Through the Due Process Clause of the Fourteenth Amendment and Whether the Courts of Appeals Have...
  11. J

Private property in Maryland

imported post Hello all you friendly Maryland members, I hope one of you can help me out. My brother in law lives in Bethesda, Marylandand owns a couple of handguns and a rifle. I have been asked to go shooting on a 20 acre piece of property his friend owns in a rural area. I do not yet have a...
  12. J

Wonderful OC Pizzeria Uno Kingstowne

imported post Deleted. OK, well I am new at this and apparently have much to learn. See ya all some other time.
  13. J

Brandishing accidently?

imported post I have been open carrying for I guess a couple of weeks with no problems. However, I carry with an OWB holster on my right hip. My hand will naturally be very near the gun when walking, and may occasionaly brush against it. My concern is that some sheeple may call in a MWAG and...