• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

10 round magazine

kardar2

Hello,
I have had my Kimber compact ultra ll for several years.I just always bought the 7 rd mags. Well so I decided that I want a 10 round mag. But those seem hard to find. It seems that you can only buy them from Kimber. Why is that? Or is there another MFG out there that makes them with extended grips? Thanks

Taypo

The Chip McCormick Power 10's fit and function in my Ultra Carry II, but they stick out a country mile

davidmcbeth

Banned
I'd just buy more 7rd mags .. the gun's a nice one designed for it .. swapping out a mag should take about 1/4 - 1/2 sec.

kardar2

I've lots of experience with both the Wilson and the Chip McCormick 10-round 1911 .45 magazines. Both work extremely well.

Where are you seeing that Kimber has them with an extended grip? Or even specifically designed for the Ultra compacts?

http://store.kimberamerica.com/handguns/1911/magazines

Good question I was at sportsman's warehouse and the little gal behind the counter said I can buy them from Kimberly she they were called something plus. So I was going to call them and see what they say I will do that tomorrow and post a reply on this thread

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
FWIW, just going off appearance, it looks like the Kimber magazines might be rebadged Chip McCormick mags. You know Kimber isn't making them, and that's probably a good thing. I say that as a man that carries a Kimber 1911 everyday.

Taypo

FWIW, just going off appearance, it looks like the Kimber magazines might be rebadged Chip McCormick mags. You know Kimber isn't making them, and that's probably a good thing. I say that as a man that carries a Kimber 1911 everyday.

Not sure if its still the case, but the patent numbers on the Kimber and the standard CMC 7 rounders used to be the same. I've relegated all my pack in mags to the emergency stash - I'm much more comfortable with CMC's bigger basepads.

Jimsouth

I have a 10 round magazine for the Firestar .45. Kind of clumsy, but I only used it at the range. Straight stack you know. Normally 7 round extended. Two 6 rounds in the shoulder holster pockets.