• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

11 dead, 6 injured after shooting at the Virginia Beach Municipal Center

Doug_Nightmare

Washington Island, WISCONSIN. Out in Lake Michigan

dewayne-craddock.jpg

solus

Newspeek/social media at its best, quote:

The hunt for a motive remains elusive so far.

The Wall Street Journal and other outlets continued to report that DeWayne Craddock had been terminated, perhaps recently. The newspaper reported that Craddock returned to municipal building 2 to “exact revenge.” However, officials repeated that Craddock was a current employee, saying that reporting was false. On June 1, the police chief again asserted that Craddock had not been fired, and he said a reporter’s “federal law enforcement source” was wrong.

There is no evidence of political motive.

A search of online court records for Virginia Beach did not turn up any criminal cases for Craddock. National news sites reported that Craddock appears to have no criminal history beyond minor traffic. No obvious social media sites were apparent for him.

The ATF said in a June 1 press conference that there were two weapons used in the shooting. Both weapons are .45 caliber pistols. One was purchased in 2016 and one in 2018. Both were purchased by the shooter and all indications are they were purchased legally, according to ATF.

Firearms Iinstuctor

The only reason to focus on where and when the firarms were purchased is to promote gun control.

It has no usefulness in deciding the why or who committed the crime.

solus

Ah the interest on the evil gun is no longer newsworthy...the newspeek/social media’s interest has shifted to the...

S I L E N C E R
Per AP quote,
It's the nightmare scenario that gun-control advocates have warned about amid efforts in recent years to ease restrictions on the devices, which they say can help shooters escape detection and inflict more carnage.

Virginia is among 42 states that allow residents to purchase and possess suppressors, though some cities and towns — including Virginia Beach — prohibit them.

This is the concern we were talking about when Republicans were trying to deregulate silencers as 'ear protection,'" said David Chipman, a retired agent with the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives and now the senior policy adviser with Giffords, a gun-control lobbying group. "Especially on a handgun, a suppressor will distort the sound in such a way that it would not immediately be recognizable as gunfire to people who sort of know what that sound is."

Others say the shooter's use of a silencer was less of a factor in enabling him to carry out the rampage than was his familiarity with the building and even possibly his military background, both of which may have given him a tactical advantage. Unquote

So less then, what 48 hours, the shooter was disgruntled ~ opps false fact!

The evil silencer we have been warned numerous times about ~ really cuz I don’t remember seeing the word mentioned in stories about Columbine or other incidents over the years?

Oh ya his “familiarity” with the lay out...present at all these types of incidents!

Yepper...locked it down ~ serving in the military is the cause de jour today for newspeek/social media.

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
Here is what we do know. You cannot predict human nature as to an individuals actions with any sort of accuracy on any given day. Many people take their personal grievances in life to their graves every single day.

We also know that anyone who actually acts upon their grievances will do so by employing any means necessary to resolve that grievance.

I have never seen a rule created after the fact to deal with an exception to actually solve anything, exceptions excluded.

solus

Ah yes doug...just like the newspeek/social media which earlier posted their epistles regarding the shooter being fired for discipline issues...false!

Sorry doug...i shall keep my critical thinking skills in tact by assuring i do not waffle between shock/awe minute by minute newspeek/social media expounding their biased perspective(s) to the masses as the ‘unbiased’ parkland school shooting pointed out that the real atrocities occurred by the school system’s failures & RSO’s action-lack therein, as well as the County sheriff’s office policies.

Pardon me, i have to brush my teeth now...

solus

ATF getting gun data so quickly...hmmm...how could this be?

Uh somebody got woke up?
Let’s see user of firearm is known as is s/n immediately available > LE through eTrace notifies local/national ATF agent who calls manufacturer who tells ATF which distributor/big box enterprise the firearm was sold to > ATF then calls distributor to discern which LGS purchased the firearm > ATF call LGS to have them look in their paper bound book which is listed by individual firearm they purchased on any given day. OR big box store’s electronic system immediately provides info to the ATF.

‘normal’ turn around is four to seven days. ATF is the only agency who can trace firearms. Complexities arise if the original buyer transers their firearm w/o paperwork or the firearm was lost in a recent boating accident o_O.

Now the suppressor is a different bird of prey as the highest LE in the area has blessed that purchase and “should” have the s/n of that device in some cubby-hole in a back office!

KBCraig

A different article:

VIRGINIA BEACH — DeWayne Craddock submitted a letter of resignation from his job as an engineer for the city of Virginia Beach on Friday morning, hours before murdering 12 people at the government building where he worked, officials said Sunday.
“He notified his chain of command that morning,” City Manager Dave Hansen said at a news conference. “My understanding is he did that via email.”
Officials did not elaborate on the substance of the email. Hansen added that they are “determining where that letter is.”

Craddock, 40, had not been fired and was not in danger of being fired, Hansen said. His performance was considered “satisfactory.” He was “in good standing in his department,” and “there were no issues of discipline ongoing.”

Ghost1958

I thought 4473s were not a gun registration mechanism...
They aren't supposed to be. They are supposed to be destroyed after a period of time.
But it is a Federal agency we are talking about. Since when have have mere legalities or constitutional prohibitions given a Fed agent pause.

Firearms Iinstuctor

They aren't supposed to be. They are supposed to be destroyed after a period of time.
But it is a Federal agency we are talking about. Since when have have mere legalities or constitutional prohibitions given a Fed agent pause.

No the law says they can be destroyed after a period of time no supposed to there.

It is not a gun registry it is just used to track guns used in criminal activity.

And a BJ is not sex.

The sale of guns in the free market place is the check value to stopping a gun registry.
Buying and selling firearms on the open market is a patriotic thing to do.

That is why the anti's push so hard for so called universal back ground checks.

solus

I thought 4473s were not a gun registration mechanism...

No the law says they can be destroyed after a period of time no supposed to there.

It is not a gun registry it is just used to track guns used in criminal activity. [added ?????]

And a BJ is not sex. [added ?????]

The sale of guns in the free market place is the check value to stopping a gun registry.
Buying and selling firearms on the open market is a patriotic thing to do.

That is why the anti's push so hard for so called universal back ground checks. [added ?????]

What on earth are you talking about FI...

Per ATF cite:
Licensees shall retain each ATF Form 4473 for a period of not less than 20 years after the date of sale or disposition. Where a licensee has initiated a National Instant Background Check System (NICS) check for a proposed firearms transaction, but the sale, delivery, or transfer of the firearm is not made, the licensee shall record any transaction number on the Form 4473, and retain the Form 4473 for a period of not less than 5 years after the date of the NICS inquiry.

The federal firearms regulations allow for licensees to dispose of forms that are older than 20 years. Disposition includes submission of those records to the ATF National Tracing Center (NTC). Submission of these records will allow ATF to more effectively trace crime guns. The NTC requests that licensees enclose a copy of the Active FFL and appropriately indicate that the records are over 20 years old. Records are to be sent to ATF, Out of Business Records Center...

[18 U.S.C. 923(g)(1)(A); 27 CFR 478.129(b)] https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/how-long-are-licensees-required-maintain-atf-forms-4473

The federal firearms regulations allow for licensees to dispose of forms that are older than 20 years. Disposition includes submission of those records to the ATF National Tracing Center (NTC). Submission of these records will allow ATF to more effectively trace crime guns. The NTC requests that licensees enclose a copy of the Active FFL and appropriately indicate that the records are over 20 years old. Records are to be sent to ATF, Out of Business Records Center...

A licensee must provide the requested information immediately, and in no event later than 24 hours after receipt of a request by the ATF. Failure to respond to the request for trace information can result in monetary fines and/or imprisonment, or revocation of the licensees Federal Firearms License. [18 U.S.C. 923(g) (7), 27 CFR 478.25a]

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
I once talked to a guy that new a guy that heard about a guy that heard that there were three guys that had a buddy system. They supposedly would each buy a gun they didn't particularly like. After six or eight months they would sell their regretted purchase, if you know what I mean.