• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

2 AM at a dark gas station. . .

BudParker

I'm a retired Army man and as such have an affinity for the 1911 pistol. Some years ago while driving to Venice, LA at about 2 AM I had to stop and gas up. The station was just south of New Orleans and was an old facility, dark and somewhat foreboding. The gas isle was illuminated, though. As the pump was running I turned around to face the station and I saw a man walk from behind the station with a hoodie jacket on, pulled down pretty far on his face.

He had his chin tucked down nearly on his chest and was approaching too rapidly to be normal. As he closed, coming directly at me, I simply held open my jacket and showed him that Colt .45 sitting in it's holster and waved at him with a smile on my face. Upon that action this fellow did an about face and moved out smartly back from where he came. Often the mere fact that you are armed and unafraid will defuse a potentially disastrous situation.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
While I understand the action and the reason, just be aware that in some states that would be defined as brandashing.

Had you been OCing already, no overt threat (brandashing) would have been necessary to deliver your message.

Last edited:

Maverick9

It's ok, the OP was wearing a Nixon mask...not that I was there or anything.

One might also ask how someone was able to carry anything in LA concealed. Maybe he's kin to the Sheriff? I wouldn't think OC in LA would do much to dissuade BGs, since the 'doorstop' can't be loaded, can't be chambered, can't have a magazine within 100 yds.

Cool starry bra, though.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
--snipped--
I wouldn't think OC in LA would do much to dissuade BGs, since the 'doorstop' can't be loaded, can't be chambered, can't have a magazine within 100 yds.

Cite please as to your contention.

Others would not agree and likely would suggest constitutes misinformation.

Can my handgun be loaded?
Yes. You can carry your gun loaded and ready to use.
http://www.laopencarry.org/faq.html

The state of Louisiana recognizes open carry.
http://www.nraila.org/gun-laws/state-laws/louisiana.aspx

Last edited:

HeroHog

It's ok, the OP was wearing a Nixon mask...not that I was there or anything.

One might also ask how someone was able to carry anything in LA concealed. Maybe he's kin to the Sheriff? I wouldn't think OC in LA would do much to dissuade BGs, since the 'doorstop' can't be loaded, can't be chambered, can't have a magazine within 100 yds.

Cool starry bra, though.

Open Cary in Louisiana is legal and there are no restrictions on it as far as being loaded goes. You can carry your 1911 Locked and Loaded with a full mag in it all day and night here! The restrictions are the "normal" ones such as schools, places that serve alcohol for consumption on the property, polling places and government buildings.

bc.cruiser

Perhaps LA was mistaken as Los Angeles. At any rate, both open and concealed carry is legal in Louisiana.

The excerpt below is from the state's CC regulations (original link from Grapeshot). It would keep me in the OC camp.

"A permittee shall retain and carry his permit on his person when actually carrying and concealing a handgun. A permittee armed with a handgun shall notify any police officer who approaches the permittee in an official manner or purpose, that he has a weapon on his person, submit to a pat down, and allow the officer to temporarily disarm him. Whenever a law enforcement officer has reasonable grounds to believe an armed permittee is under the influence of alcohol or a controlled dangerous substance, the officer may take temporary possession of the handgun and request submission to a chemical test. Whenever an officer is made aware that an individual is behaving in a criminally negligent manner, or is negligent in carrying a handgun, the officer may seize the handgun until adjudication by a judge. Failure to comply with these provisions shall result in a six-month automatic suspension of the permit."

Last edited:

R.D.

Cite please as to your contention.

Others would not agree and likely would suggest constitutes misinformation.

Can my handgun be loaded?
Yes. You can carry your gun loaded and ready to use.
http://www.laopencarry.org/faq.html

The state of Louisiana recognizes open carry.
http://www.nraila.org/gun-laws/state-laws/louisiana.aspx

I am glad you corrected him Grapeshot and yes Maverick some of us in Louisisana can spell, read, and do a little research all by our little self.

http://www.legis.state.la.us/lss/lss.asp?doc=78739&showback=

RS95. Illegal carrying of weapons

A. Illegal carrying of weapons is:

(1) The intentional concealment of any firearm, or other instrumentality customarily used or intended for probable use as a dangerous weapon, on one's person; or

(2) The ownership, possession, custody or use of any firearm, or other instrumentality customarily used as a dangerous weapon, at any time by an enemy alien; or

(3) The ownership, possession, custody or use of any tools, or dynamite, or nitroglycerine, or explosives, or other instrumentality customarily used by thieves or burglars at any time by any person with the intent to commit a crime; or

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Last edited:

fjpro2a

Don't overlook the message

" Often the mere fact that you are armed and unafraid will defuse a potentially disastrous situation" - We seem to always go off course, and sometimes (most times, lately) miss the main point. The last sentence in BudParker's original thread cited above is very important. it is one of the main reasons for open carrying.

R.D.

Well looking back at the time that Maverick & I posted, we both were perhaps a bit groggy yet - I know I was or I might have been more diplomatic :(

I was not upset set in the lest just poking fun, my skin is very thick after forty plus years working in the oilfield.

Last edited: