• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

2010 Legislative Session

TFred

imported post

Looks like Florida's "Guns in the Parking Lot" law has been upheld.

But reading the article reveals how some business "loopholed" themselves into an exception, so any attempt at similar legislation here would need to make sure any exceptions are very clearly defined to prevent this.

Funny how the antis like loopholes when it serves them, and then make up loopholes to hate when it doesn't.

TFred

RPW

imported post

I don't know if this the the best thread to reference this one, but building on the Florida parking lot ban issue,...

A new and perhaps significantthreat exists in the form of a Federa ban on guns in or near any workplace, courtesy of a likely new OSHA Administrator, just approved by the U.S. Senate, David Michaels.

Michaels wants to ban guns in and near workplaces, and could use his position at OSHA to do so, if the political climate shifts in favor of gun control.

http://www.openmarket.org/2009/11/18/senate-committee-rubberstamps-left-wing-ideologue-to-head-powerful-osha-agency-despite-his-anti-gun-and-pro-junk-science-views/

It might be too early to react to his appointment, but we need to watch this guy and anything that comes out of OSHA ... at least for the next 3 years.

- Peter

nuc65

Activist Member
imported post

I don't know how relevant/OT this is but in seeing my CHP in my wallet on a traffic stop the LEO only asked if it was a CHP but didn't care to examine it. I wasn't carrying because I had left work and we are not even allowed to keep a handgun in our vehicle while at work. After searching my vehicle (w/o cause) and finding nothing I asked what his cause and why bother if he didn't care to examine my 'claimed' CHP. He stated he didn't believe a piece of paper and only believed the State Police (VCNES ??) database. I asked if my CHP was listed? He grumbled a yes and we went our separate ways.

So two issues, I would like to be allowed to store my piece in my truck at work, legally. I would also say that the piece of paper(CHP) doesn't mean much then there doesn't seem to be a reason to have to carry it.

I have started carrying more often because of the LEO stop. I was upset about the search so I went home and strapped on my gun then went to the grocery store, starbucks, Lowes and Walmart. Stopped for a soda at the convenience store. My nieghbor didn't even notice I was carrying until I turned to leave. Apologies for the comments off topic.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

nuc65 wrote:
I don't know how relevant/OT this is but in seeing my CHP in my wallet on a traffic stop the LEO only asked if it was a CHP but didn't care to examine it. I wasn't carrying because I had left work and we are not even allowed to keep a handgun in our vehicle while at work. After searching my vehicle (w/o cause) and finding nothing I asked what his cause and why bother if he didn't care to examine my 'claimed' CHP. He stated he didn't believe a piece of paper and only believed the State Police (VCNES ??) database. I asked if my CHP was listed? He grumbled a yes and we went our separate ways.

So two issues, I would like to be allowed to store my piece in my truck at work, legally. I would also say that the piece of paper(CHP) doesn't mean much then there doesn't seem to be a reason to have to carry it.

I have started carrying more often because of the LEO stop. I was upset about the search so I went home and strapped on my gun then went to the grocery store, starbucks, Lowes and Walmart. Stopped for a soda at the convenience store. My nieghbor didn't even notice I was carrying until I turned to leave. Apologies for the comments off topic.
Must have been another reaon for the search. Are you ugly? In Va, he's ugly, is probable cause in some venues:lol:

When I was in high school, I knew a student from Briary Branch named Posssum Glick (Possum was a nickname, don't know his real name)....interesting fellow who's mother was also his Aunt ...or something like that...

Anyway, he used to get searched every time he went to school, which was two or three times a month. As I recall, "He's ugly" was the reason used.

TFred

imported post

nuc65 wrote:

I've said several times before, in this day and age of radio and computer communication among LEOs, it is simply wrong to make someone a felon for the "crime" of forgetting to put a piece of paper in their pocket twice during a lifetime of lawful concealed carry.

There should be a clerical penalty for not carrying a CHP, just like there is for a Driver's License.

TFred

kennys

imported post

I’ve got something for the 2010 Legislative session. I disagree with the way the state can impose rules on private business, IE the smoking ban. Truly I believe it should be up to the owner and any one that doesn’t like the owner’s decision could go some where else. Unfortunately Virginia doesn’t feel that way and could press it as a health and safety issue. Since it seems that they have opened the door on the health and safety issue, I believe we should take advantage if there is a way to impose our own safety issue of being able to carry as per the law of Va in any private establishment. I also feel that they should have a penalty for any place disregarding our rights pertained in the law. I as well feel that there should be a law on the books if any establishment refuses us legal carry and any incident occurs causing injury or death that we should have the right to sue for damages due to discounting our rights of personal protection…

Just a thought wanted to see if something like this has ever been brought up before..

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

kennys wrote:
I’ve got something for the 2010 Legislative session. I disagree with the way the state can impose rules on private business, IE the smoking ban. Truly I believe it should be up to the owner and any one that doesn’t like the owner’s decision could go some where else. Unfortunately Virginia doesn’t feel that way and could press it as a health and safety issue. Since it seems that they have opened the door on the health and safety issue, I believe we should take advantage if there is a way to impose our own safety issue of being able to carry as per the law of Va in any private establishment. I also feel that they should have a penalty for any place disregarding our rights pertained in the law. I as well feel that there should be a law on the books if any establishment refuses us legal carry and any incident occurs causing injury or death that we should have the right to sue for damages due to discounting our rights of personal protection…

Just a thought wanted to see if something like this has ever been brought up before..
Liability laws have/are being considered for privately owned/public invited establishments where the right to self-defense is restricted.

The problem that I see is it is the big corporations that would carry the major share of the burden and they (big business) are serious contributors to elected officials campaigns. Nobody wants to bite the hand that feeds them mentality. It would take a concentrated effort with multiple sponsors for this to see the light of day IMHO.

The 2nd Amendment is the only right that I am aware of that can hide behind personal property rights in places that the public is invited. I know all of the arguments, but it still doesn't sit well with me.

Yata hey

TFred

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
Liability laws have/are being considered for privately owned/public invited establishments where the right to self-defense is restricted.

The problem that I see is it is the big corporations that would carry the major share of the burden and they (big business) are serious contributors to elected officials campaigns. Nobody wants to bite the hand that feeds them mentality. It would take a concentrated effort with multiple sponsors for this to see the light of day IMHO.

The 2nd Amendment is the only right that I am aware of that can hide behind personal property rights in places that the public is invited. I know all of the arguments, but it still doesn't sit well with me.

Yata hey
Interesting conjecture. Just thinking out loud, what about a cafe that sponsors an "open mike night?" If someone showed up and started out with an offensive poem or song, don't you think the cafe owners have the right to ask them to stop?

Seems like a good analogy, in neither case is the Government the one doing the infringing, but it seems well within the cafe owners' rights to control the speech within their business.

Of course the analogy falls apart after a certain point, since restricting offensive speech does not affect the safety of the patrons in the cafe like restricting lawful carry does.

Trying to think of others... the public is generally invited to a church service, but you would probably be asked to leave if you engaged in a different religious ritual, to the point of being disruptive.

Thoughts?

TFred

2a4all

imported post

It looks like Sen Mamie Locke (Newport News) will be introducing her anti-gun bills again this year. She apparently thinks that such legislation will stop youngblack on black murders. She complained on the local news tonight that her anti-gun bills just die in committee, because senators from rural areas see things differently than those from urban areas.

At the risk of sounding biased, with all the guns that are in the hands of non-blacks, why isn't there more non-black on non-black crime (white, asian, etc.)? Blacks only account for about 15% of the population, but seem tobe experiencing a disproportionate share ofviolence. Why?

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

2a4all wrote:
She complained on the local news tonight that her anti-gun bills just die in committee, because senators from rural areas see things differently than those from urban areas.
Boy, if that were really true, my life would be a lot easier. I had to argue with our membership for the last two weeks about the SCCC bill, which I haven't seen yet. Some rural people think another notch on the CHP only list would be a good thing.
Damned if I'll support it. I won't fight it if the membership feels that way, but someone else can come up here and pitch for it if that's the way they want it.

I might as well hunt all session. I want dog hunter laws and doesn't look like I'll get them this year either. That's still possible though.

Who knows about land use or farm restrictions.

I have to keep trying to explain to Rural Senators and Delegates and just Rural People, that what Henrico or Chesterfield may think is good IS NOT NECESSARILY GOOD for points south and southwest.

It's hard to tell someone who's trying to figure out where their next meal's coming from, that they have to LOOK at the voting record for their legislator....before they vote for him or her.

SicSemperTyrannis

imported post

My priorities / thoughts:

1.). Parking lot bill - needed! After the smoking bill, I don't want to hear about private property rights from anyone who voted for the smoking/restaurant bill! Telling people what to do inside their business is clearly less respectful of private property rights than telling people what they must allow their customers to be able to do in their own cars in the parking lot!

2.) Castle Doctrine - be careful! Civil immunity is a great idea, but not a law that specifies situations where self-defense is lawful - that causes some people to believe that other situations where a firearm is used for self-defense are automatically suspect. Maybe languagein the law could clarify that nothing in the law limits any rights in situations not specified...

3. College carry - I talked to my delegate and some administrators at JMU (where I used to be an administrator). They are convinced that college carry won't even get to the governor this year. I know the governor and House of Delegates are more pro-gun this year, but their reasoning made some sense: it is one thing to get a bill to the governor when you know with 100% certainty that he will veto it. That's why there was very little lobbying against the bill. This year will be very different.

Thundar

imported post

2a4all wrote:
It looks like Sen Mamie Locke (Newport News) will be introducing her anti-gun bills again this year. She apparently thinks that such legislation will stop youngblack on black murders. She complained on the local news tonight that her anti-gun bills just die in committee, because senators from rural areas see things differently than those from urban areas.

At the risk of sounding biased, with all the guns that are in the hands of non-blacks, why isn't there more non-black on non-black crime (white, asian, etc.)? Blacks only account for about 15% of the population, but seem tobe experiencing a disproportionate share ofviolence. Why?

Part of it is a much deeper and more violent gang culture (and drug culture) in urban ghettos.

Part of it is "Leaders" like Mamie Locke, who place responsibility for personal conduct upon a simple tool instead of upon the individuals that commit the crime.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

SicSemperTyrannis wrote:

1.). Parking lot bill - needed! After the smoking bill, I don't want to hear about private property rights from anyone who voted for the smoking/restaurant bill! Telling people what to do inside their business is clearly less respectful of private property rights than telling people what they must allow their customers to be able to do in their own cars in the parking lot!

2.) Castle Doctrine - be careful! Civil immunity is a great idea, but not a law that specifies situations where self-defense is lawful - that causes some people to believe that other situations where a firearm is used for self-defense are automatically suspect. Maybe languagein the law could clarify that nothing in the law limits any rights in situations not specified...

3. College carry - I talked to my delegate and some administrators at JMU (where I used to be an administrator). They are convinced that college carry won't even get to the governor this year. I know the governor and House of Delegates are more pro-gun this year, but their reasoning made some sense: it is one thing to get a bill to the governor when you know with 100% certainty that he will veto it. That's why there was very little lobbying against the bill. This year will be very different.
All good points!
The campus carry bill has a remote chance of getting to the Governor if it can get out of committee. I don't think it will though. Proper wording would make it palatable to more of the pro gun world though. There will be a lot of opposition and without a lot of support, I think it will die before it makes it to the floor.

paramedic70002

imported post

Here's a couple:

1. Permanent CHPs. Passed and signed a few years ago but died due to a lack of funding. !@#$% that was a scapegoat. How much funding do you need to say, "All CHPs are now permanent."?

2. Require government and businesses to provide secure storage for sidearm if they ban carry in their buildings. Some other states have this law, and I would think it would mininize the places you can't carry.

2a4all

imported post

SicSemperTyrannis wrote:

Do you suppose that's why the Restaurant CC bill made it to Kaine's desk, or why it might not make it to McDonnell's? Politicians love tocast "politically safe" votes.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

To state senators and delegates:

We've heard the talk,
Now learn the walk
Or it's three and out!

Yata hey

2a4all

imported post

2a4all wrote:

It would appear that the rev Al Sharpton has an answer to my question, which, oddly enough, doesn't call for a gun ban!

http://www.dailypress.com/news/dp-local_dayofoutrage_1124nov24,0,4699240.story

HAMPTON — The Rev. Al Sharpton wasn't the only one demonstrating his outrage Monday at the tide of gun violence engulfing America's cities.

In Hampton, about 100 people representing clergy, community leaders, police and citizens gathered at First Baptist Church on North King Street to call for a halt to the gun violence which is a leading cause of death for teenage black males.

The event coincided with National Day of Outrage rallies across the country led by Sharpton.

Hampton organizer Gaylene Kanoyton said the Peninsula event was the only one in Virginia.

"We are not going to stand for the violence. It has to stop," she said.

Kanoyton said the event should mark the beginning of the fight back against gun violence.

Dr. Richard Wills, pastor of First Baptist Church, said homicide is the second-leading cause of death among young African-American males.

He said churches on the Peninsula should play a more active role in curbing the violence.

"We can do much, much more ... my sense as a pastor is that the churches are not doing nearly enough," Wills said.

Councilman Paige V. Washington warned of the scale of gun violence in Hampton.

"You will be staggered by the numbers. We have to save our children and in doing that we need to come together as a family," said Washington who described gun violence as a "cancer" in the city.

Will Moffett, a former chairman of Hampton's neighborhood commission, warned that a lack of religion in schools and a breakdown in families were fueling a tide of violence.

"Enough is enough," he said. "It began when we allowed prayer to be taken out of our schools. It began when we lost our fathers out of our homes. We have neighborhoods without fathers. Many fathers are dead, in prison or on drugs. Our children have been left to their iPods with (rappers) 50 Cent and Lil Wayne to raise them."

Moffett said many parents were willing to turn TVs to a football game but were failing to attend parent/teacher conferences.

"We must encourage them to get involved," he said.

Moffett called for more programs to be set up for youths. "We must demand change and we must demand change in our community now. That change must come through accountability," he said.

Wills said he hoped Monday's meeting would be the first of many that would take the Rev Martin Luther King Jr.'s philosophy of nonviolence out into the community.

He said an action plan will be drawn up and a symposium against violence will be held in 2010.

The meeting was also addressed by Edward Reed, a Hampton University student who said HU has been no stranger to gun violence this year.

"This is our call for action," Reed said.

"This is where we take the initiative and train, educate and prepare our youth to stop the violence in our homes, at school and in our neighborhoods," Reed said. "This can only be done as a unified body."

In April, former HU student Odane Greg Maye shot a pizza delivery driver, a night dormitory watchman and himself on the campus. The victims recovered from their injuries. This month, Maye was sentenced to 14 years in prison in the shooting.

And in October, Hampton University basketball player Theo Smalling died as a result of an accidental gunshot wound he suffered.

National Day of Outrage The National Day of Outrage was sponsored by the Rev. Al Sharpton and his National Action Network. Events were held in about 20 U.S. cities including New York, Chicago, Atlanta, Philadelphia, Houston, Detroit and St. Louis.

textSize()

Copyright © 2009, Newport News, Va., Daily Press

Wolf_shadow

Activist Member
imported post

K - 12 School carry needs to be abolished, if not not when school is in session at least whennon-school events such as Board of Supervisors arebeing held atschool facilities.

:cuss: