• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

2010 Legislative Session

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

ProShooter wrote:
I would like to see a CHP exemption for people attending a gun safety class.
What does this mean? No CHP required if safety class taken or is a Super CHP.

Not sure that I follow the specific application here - elucidate.

Yata hey

virginiatuck

imported post

It's not good enough to merely modify § 18.2-308(J3). The bill that was passed by the GA last session was not right. All of § 18.2-308(J3) must be removed.

To those who disagree, refer to sub-section J1. That sub-section already prescribes a severe penalty for carrying a concealed firearm while under the influence of alcohol or illegal drugs.

Repeater

imported post

virginiatuck wrote:
It's not good enough to merely modify § 18.2-308(J3). The bill that was passed by the GA last session was not right. All of § 18.2-308(J3) must be removed.

To those who disagree, refer to sub-section J1. That sub-section already prescribes a severe penalty for carrying a concealed firearm while under the influence of alcohol or illegal drugs.
This is correct. J1 already captures those who imprudently carry and consume to excess.

J3 is like saying if you drink, don't drive at all. That's different than saying don't drive under the influence.

darthmord

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
ProShooter wrote:

Yata hey
Yeah, I'm kinda lost here too. Details ProShooter, details!

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

darthmord wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:
ProShooter wrote:

Yata hey
Yeah, I'm kinda lost here too. Details ProShooter, details!
If I read him correctly, it's a good compromise for an Alaskan carry law.

Shall issue is just that. Either you are entitled or you aren't. The only gray area is being so dangerous the Sheriff can file an affidavit to stop the application. Get rid of that and it's clear sailing.

You take a class and receive a certificate. With that certificate, you can carry concealed.
Now if you are prohibited, it's no different than OC'ing. Get caught and go to jail.

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
ProShooter wrote:

Yata hey

I have students all the time that come to class and want to bring their guns to learn about them. They should be allowed to carry concealed if enroute to a gun training class....like these other exemptions allow:

18.2-308

B. This section shall not apply to any person while in his own place of abode or the curtilage thereof.

Except as provided in subsection J1, this section shall not apply to:

1. Any person while in his own place of business;

2. Any law-enforcement officer, wherever such law-enforcement officer may travel in the Commonwealth;

3. Any regularly enrolled member of a target shooting organization who is at, or going to or from, an established shooting range, provided that the weapons are unloaded and securely wrapped while being transported;

4. Any regularly enrolled member of a weapons collecting organization who is at, or going to or from, a bona fide weapons exhibition, provided that the weapons are unloaded and securely wrapped while being transported;

5. Any person carrying such weapons between his place of abode and a place of purchase or repair, provided the weapons are unloaded and securely wrapped while being transported;

6. Any person actually engaged in lawful hunting, as authorized by the Board of Game and Inland Fisheries, under inclement weather conditions necessitating temporary protection of his firearm from those conditions, provided that possession of a handgun while engaged in lawful hunting shall not be construed as hunting with a handgun if the person hunting is carrying a valid concealed handgun permit;

Add something like this.....

7) Any person carrying such weapons between his place of abode and recognized firearms training and/or safety class, provided the weapons are unloaded and securely wrapped while being transported;

nuc65

Activist Member
imported post

ProShooter wrote:
..., provided the weapons are unloaded and securely wrapped while being transported;
?? Yeah, let's add some more rules about something that is already in the rules...

What would be the point of this, other than supporting another gun control regulation that in this case doesn't make much sense?

ProShooter

imported post

nuc65 wrote:
ProShooter wrote:
..., provided the weapons are unloaded and securely wrapped while being transported;
?? Yeah, let's add some more rules about something that is already in the rules...

What would be the point of this, other than supporting another gun control regulation that in this case doesn't make much sense?

Because, a good number of students that I see in class have no knowledge about the gun they just bought. They do not want to OC since their knowledge base is zero. They throw the gun into their handbag and come strolling into class....hence, an illegally concealed handgun. I almost made a woman wet herself last week when I told her that she was illegally carrying and that she needed to open carry the firearm when she left. She carried it into the class in her lunchbag. She had no idea that it wasn't ok to carry the gun that way if she was going to a gun safety class.

An exemption such as the one outlined above would be beneficial to folks who don't know the law and are in a potential spot of getting jammed up for illegally carrying concealed. Having an exemption to the statute of illegally carrying a concealed weapon would be the opposite of a gun control regulation, don't you think?

thanks for playing....

nuc65

Activist Member
imported post

ProShooter wrote:
Because, a good number of students that I see in class have no knowledge about the gun they just bought. They do not want to OC since their knowledge base is zero. They throw the gun into their handbag and come strolling into class....hence, an illegally concealed handgun. I almost made a woman wet herself last week when I told her that she was illegally carrying and that she needed to open carry the firearm when she left. She carried it into the class in her lunchbag. She had no idea that it wasn't ok to carry the gun that way if she was going to a gun safety class.

An exemption such as the one outlined above would be beneficial to folks who don't know the law and are in a potential spot of getting jammed up for illegally carrying concealed. Having an exemption to the statute of illegally carrying a concealed weapon would be the opposite of a gun control regulation, don't you think?

thanks for playing....
I think that IMHO it doesn't make much sense. The law already talks to transporting a weapon in a concealed manner, separate and secure. How would one prove they are going to a class? Carrying it in a handbag would still be illegal, at least if were loose. I don't think your exemption would help much at least the way it was worded, but then I am not a lawyer and I think fewer laws are a better answer than more laws. Vermont has a reasonable answer to my way of thinking carry however you want as long as you aren't exempted from owning a firearm (eg. felon).

TFred

imported post

nuc65 wrote:
ProShooter wrote:

thanks for playing....
I think that IMHO it doesn't make much sense. The law already talks to transporting a weapon in a concealed manner, separate and secure. How would one prove they are going to a class? Carrying it in a handbag would still be illegal, at least if were loose. I don't think your exemption would help much at least the way it was worded, but then I am not a lawyer and I think fewer laws are a better answer than more laws. Vermont has a reasonable answer to my way of thinking carry however you want as long as you aren't exempted from owning a firearm (eg. felon).
After reading the further explanation, what he's suggesting makes perfect sense to me.

Does Virginia have a transport law? The Federal law may only apply when your travel crosses state lines. If Virginia has a similar law for entirely intrastate travel, I'd like to know the reference.

Proof of going to class: any number of ways. A registration receipt, a call to the instructor, a training certificate that can be provided after class with the class date.

If the handbag is shut with snaps or a zipper, why isn't that "secure"? No less secure than a gun case with snap clips, and maybe even a bit more.

TFred

ProShooter

imported post

nuc65 wrote:
I think that IMHO it doesn't make much sense. The law already talks to transporting a weapon in a concealed manner, separate and secure. How would one prove they are going to a class?

How would one prove that they are.......

2. Any law-enforcement officer, wherever such law-enforcement officer may travel in the Commonwealth;

3. Any regularly enrolled member of a target shooting organization who is at, or going to or from, an established shooting range, provided that the weapons are unloaded and securely wrapped while being transported;

4. Any regularly enrolled member of a weapons collecting organization who is at, or going to or from, a bona fide weapons exhibition, provided that the weapons are unloaded and securely wrapped while being transported;

5. Any person carrying such weapons between his place of abode and a place of purchase or repair, provided the weapons are unloaded and securely wrapped while being transported;

6. Any person actually engaged in lawful hunting, as authorized by the Board of Game and Inland Fisheries, under inclement weather conditions necessitating temporary protection of his firearm from those conditions, provided that possession of a handgun while engaged in lawful hunting shall not be construed as hunting with a handgun if the person hunting is carrying a valid concealed handgun permit;

I would guess they could prove that they're headed to a class the same way!

TFred

imported post

ProShooter wrote:
nuc65 wrote:
I think that IMHO it doesn't make much sense. The law already talks to transporting a weapon in a concealed manner, separate and secure. How would one prove they are going to a class?

Here you go Pro... offer a bonus "firearms safety / cleaning inspection" service along with your class...

Good enough? :)

TFred

ProShooter

imported post

TFred wrote:
ProShooter wrote:
nuc65 wrote:

Here you go Pro... offer a bonus "firearms safety / cleaning inspection" service along with your class...

TFred

LOL! :)

Actually, and not to parse words, but I think a good prosecutor could arugue that "cleaning" a gun is quite different than "repairing" one.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

ProShooter wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:
ProShooter wrote:

Yata hey

I have students all the time that come to class and want to bring their guns to learn about them. They should be allowed to carry concealed if enroute to a gun training class....like these other exemptions allow:

18.2-308

B. This section shall not apply to any person while in his own place of abode or the curtilage thereof.

Except as provided in subsection J1, this section shall not apply to:

Add something like this.....

7) Any person carrying such weapons between his place of abode and recognized firearms training and/or safety class, provided the weapons are unloaded and securely wrapped while being transported;
Everybody, even the novice needs to be aware of the laws as they apply to them.

That said - why add this #7? There are already defined ways to transport or they can simply OC. I still do not see the benefit of another layer to the laws.

Yata hey

TFred

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:

That said - why add this #7? There are already defined ways to transport or they can simply OC. I still do not see the benefit of another layer to the laws.

Yata hey
I'm not at all trying to be a smart-alec... did you read through all the prior posts here?

Consider the many possible scenarios this exception could cover. One was briefly mentioned earlier here... a traditional non-gun person is finally convinced that they need to get rid of that "non". They know next to nothing, borrow or buy a new gun, take it in the case, barely touched as of yet, to the CHP class for some hands-on training.

Walking across the parking lot from the car to the class, gun in case, is that concealed carry? Whether it is or not, do you think it would be better for a non-gun person (at the time) to be openly carrying a gun (probably without a holster) in public? Would they also know how to even do that without brandishing? Everyone started at ground zero at some point, why put these folks in a position to be arrested before they even get started?

Especially considering the other exceptions already in place, I think this is quite valid.

JMHO, as usual.

TFred

Oh, PS, I'll ask again, is there any Virginia-specific code for transport? I thought it was uncertain that the Federal transport code applied intrastate.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

TFred wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:

Yata hey
I'm not at all trying to be a smart-alec... did you read through all the prior posts here?

Consider the many possible scenarios this exception could cover. One was briefly mentioned earlier here... a traditional non-gun person is finally convinced that they need to get rid of that "non". They know next to nothing, borrow or buy a new gun, take it in the case, barely touched as of yet, to the CHP class for some hands-on training.

Walking across the parking lot from the car to the class, gun in case, is that concealed carry? Whether it is or not, do you think it would be better for a non-gun person (at the time) to be openly carrying a gun (probably without a holster) in public? Would they also know how to even do that without brandishing? Everyone started at ground zero at some point, why put these folks in a position to be arrested before they even get started?

Especially considering the other exceptions already in place, I think this is quite valid.

JMHO, as usual.

TFred

Oh, PS, I'll ask again, is there any Virginia-specific code for transport? I thought it was uncertain that the Federal transport code applied intrastate.
Yep, read it all and still see it as a solution looking for a problem. Has anyone in Va. ever been charged with such an "offense?"

If we must clean up the potential problem before it occurs, then I suggest something like the federal transportation law for travel but within the state, with additional wording to allow pedestrian transportation.

IMO - we muddy the water referring to this as concealed carry.

Yata hey

darthmord

imported post

ProShooter wrote:
TFred wrote:
ProShooter wrote:
nuc65 wrote:

TFred

LOL! :)

Actually, and not to parse words, but I think a good prosecutor could arugue that "cleaning" a gun is quite different than "repairing" one.

You have a gunsmith at your business? If so, case closed. :p

Thanks for explaining. I understand where you are coming from now. On that note, why not make sure the students are informed of how they are to bring firearms to the class? My wife & I (when we took our CHP class at a local range) took our firearms with us in their manufacturer cases and they were unloaded and locked in the cases. Can't get much more transport than that except perhaps to disassemble the firearms.