• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

2010 Legislative Session

ChinChin

imported post

So with the overly positive touted results of the state-wide races and removal of formerly anti-gun politicians from the legislative landscape; what is the speculation on the upcoming session? I know on the top of many people’s agenda is the ability to FINALLY be able to carry concealed in restaurants which serve alcohol w/on site consumption (and assumes the carrier is not imbibing.) What about some of the past initiatives which have been put forward but left to die on the vine in committee or were killed in the early stages. What is the general consensus on the difficulties now faced on passing:

1) Restaurant conceal carry

2) Castle Doctrine (w/civil immunity)

3) Virginia University/College anti-carry ban.

4) Permit teachers/educators to carry concealed in K-12 schools w/CHP.

5) Others I missed?

TFred

imported post

I would very much like to finally see the CHP application information be declared PRIVATE and protected from public disclosure of any kind.

Last year they passed a law (HB2144) that prevented the State Police from releasing the CHP database, and I have since discovered that much of the general population incorrectly believes that this law protected CHP information at all sources.

That is simply not the case. Every Court Clerk in the Commonwealth will tell you everything you want to know about every CHP applicant in their jurisdiction.

It is my opinion that the local newspapers have voluntarily stopped the routine printing of new CHP grantees' private information simply to quell the wave of opposition that they saw heading their way. But the source is still open, for whenever anyone with a whim might want to learn all about you.

TFred

TFred

imported post

I also think we should push for a separate offense and penalty to be provided for the act of not carrying your Concealed Handgun Permit on your person.

As the law is currently written, not carrying your permit exposes you to being charged with carrying a concealed weapon. There is no provision for persons who do have a permit, but just happen to not have it with them.

After twice forgetting a piece of paper, you are a felon. In this day and age of computerized records and instant radio and wireless computer communication, this is obviously a ridiculously severe penalty.

I would like to see a similar penalty to that for drivers' licenses. There is a separate offense, essentially a clerical offense, with a fine, which may be waived if you can show evidence that you did have a license at the time you were cited.

I wouldn't really even be opposed to significantly increasing the fine (I believe the drivers license fine is only $10) or even leaving it in place with no waiver provision. I just think it's very wrong to become a felon for the "crime" of forgetting a piece of paper twice within a lifetime of legal concealed carry.

TFred

vbnative73

imported post

TFred wrote:
I also think we should push for a separate offense and penalty to be provided for the act of not carrying your Concealed Handgun Permit on your person.

As the law is currently written, not carrying your permit exposes you to being charged with carrying a concealed weapon. There is no provision for persons who do have a permit, but just happen to not have it with them.

After twice forgetting a piece of paper, you are a felon. In this day and age of computerized records and instant radio and wireless computer communication, this is obviously a ridiculously severe penalty.

I would like to see a similar penalty to that for drivers' licenses. There is a separate offense, essentially a clerical offense, with a fine, which may be waived if you can show evidence that you did have a license at the time you were cited.

I wouldn't really even be opposed to significantly increasing the fine (I believe the drivers license fine is only $10) or even leaving it in place with no waiver provision. I just think it's very wrong to become a felon for the "crime" of forgetting a piece of paper twice within a lifetime of legal concealed carry.

TFred
+1

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

As long as we're on the wish list, provide for specific criminal penalties for any Law Enforcement Officer who unlawfully arrests someone for carrying a weapon.

WhatTimeIsIt?

imported post

I'd like to see repeal of one handgun a month and restaurant carry, in particular.

AEubanks

imported post

WhatTimeIsIt? wrote:
I'd like to see repeal of one handgun a month and restaurant carry, in particular.

What is the "justification" if you will of the no CC in restaurants when you can OC? What is their reasoning behind it?

TFred

imported post

AEubanks wrote:
WhatTimeIsIt? wrote:
What is the "justification" if you will of the no CC in restaurants when you can OC? What is their reasoning behind it?
I think your question makes an assumption that turns out to be just plain untrue...

;)

TFred

WhatTimeIsIt?

imported post

Hell if I know the reasoning, the law is retarded. Which is why I'd like to see concealed carry in restaurants this year. ;)

AEubanks

imported post

TFred wrote:
AEubanks wrote:
WhatTimeIsIt? wrote:
I think your question makes an assumption that turns out to be just plain untrue...

;)

TFred

ha ha.... fair enough.... none the less... Maybe I should ask what is their distorted, twisted "makes logical sense to them" reason for it?

TFred

imported post

AEubanks wrote:
TFred wrote:
AEubanks wrote:
WhatTimeIsIt? wrote:

;)

TFred
ha ha.... fair enough.... none the less... Maybe I should ask what is their distorted, twisted "makes logical sense to them" reason for it?
Yes, all joking aside... I've never really heard any reason. Almost all the talking points you hear from the other side, all the way up to Tim Kaine himself, seems to push the idea that guns and alcohol don't mix. They seem to be oblivious of the fact that OC is not only legal, but mandated if you wish to carry in a restaurant that serves alcohol.

Probably one of the more frustrating issues in Virginia, simply because the other side seems to intentionally butcher cognizant thought in pushing their view on this one.

TFred

ETA: You can read Kaine's "reasons" for his vetos here.

AEubanks

imported post

TFred wrote:
AEubanks wrote:
TFred wrote:
AEubanks wrote:
WhatTimeIsIt? wrote:

;)

TFred
Yes, all joking aside... I've never really heard any reason. Almost all the talking points you hear from the other side, all the way up to Tim Kaine himself, seems to push the idea that guns and alcohol don't mix. They seem to be oblivious of the fact that OC is not only legal, but mandated if you wish to carry in a restaurant that serves alcohol.

Probably one of the more frustrating issues in Virginia, simply because the other side seems to intentionally butcher cognizant thought in pushing their view on this one.

TFred

ETA: You can read Kaine's "reasons" for his vetos here.
"Allowing concealed weapons into restaurants and bars that serve alcohol puts the public, the employees, and our public safety officers at risk. I take seriously the objections of law enforcement to this measure."

...... wow...... this makes.....zero sense

Toad

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I don't want to see Castle Doctrine as the current precedent is just fine however I would like to see civil immunity if you are not found criminally liable. Castle Doctrine goes to far into defining how one can defend their self; kind of a foot in the door to limit your ability to protect you self and family.
I would also like to see legislation along the lines of Montana's firearms freedom act.
Hell I would like to see all gun laws repealed...that would cover it.

zoom6zoom

imported post

4) Permit [strike]teachers/educators[/strike] to carry [strike]concealed[/strike] in K-12 schools w/CHP.

Why create another privileged class? Should apply to all LAC's. And since OC is legal in VA, this should not be restricted either.

ChinChin

imported post

zoom6zoom wrote:
4) Permit [strike]teachers/educators[/strike] to carry [strike]concealed[/strike] in K-12 schools w/CHP.

Why create another privileged class? Should apply to all LAC's. And since OC is legal in VA, this should not be restricted either.
Call me a realist. In a perfect world we'd have zero gun right restrictions. As it stands the world is not perfect and reaching too far too fast isn't practical and simply will not work, despite the fact that I might want it to.

It took decades for things to get this out of hand and for rights to be demoted to "privileges". We're not going to get them all back overnight. . .it will take some time and immediately jumping on the one location the anti’s ALWAYS use at their foundation for fears (i.e. “why won’t somebody think of the children”) would backfire unless there is more solid foundation to build upon.

ChinChin

imported post

Toad wrote:
I don't want to see Castle Doctrine as the current precedent is just fine however I would like to see civil immunity if you are not found criminally liable. Castle Doctrine goes to far into defining how one can defend their self; kind of a foot in the door to limit your ability to protect you self and family.
Example of limitation please.