• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

2013 NV legislative Session

DON`T TREAD ON ME

I am currently on vacation in Oregon and unable to attend this hearing. If you can attend in person to show your active support, I will offer a free one-hour one-on-one live-fire training session to thank you. It will be at the Pro Gun Club between Henderson and Boulder City. You will be responsible for their $10 fee, and your own ammunition, but I will have a private bay and targets and work with you on whatever the next skill is that you need help with. PLEASE show your support to defeat this bill.

Honestly, our best hope is the governor. PLEASE write to the governor and ask him to veto this bill. Remind him that the bill is probably illegal, and that any bill that passes by straight party lines is a bad bill that needs severe scrutiny. Remind him that we will actively defend him from any political backlash.

PLEASE contact the NV Governor: http://gov.nv.gov/contact/governor/

I attended in person and signed in as opposed, but few people were able to speak in Las Vegas

Felid`Maximus

Activist Member
How do you feel about the hearing? Positive? Negative? I couldn't go because of work so I'm really interested to know

I felt positive about the hearing in general. Prior to the hearing, I felt it would most likely pass as it had passed the Senate on party lines. There was a lot of good opposition to SB221, and the retracted support of the Nevada Sheriffs' and Chiefs' Association could make a huge difference. We'll find out soon.

Last edited:

Joef

Part of SB221 has been added to SB38 as an amendment in conference com. No details yet.

http://www.rgj.com/article/20130602/...Nevada-measure

The mental health portions of a bill mandating background checks on all gun sales in Nevada are now part of another bill.

Democratic Sen. Justin Jones of Las Vegas Jones submitted the amendment adding sections of his background check bill to SB38 in a conference committee late Sunday night.

The main universal background check bill is SB221.

The mental health provisions added to SB38 include faster reporting of court-findings of mental illness and requiring a doctor to report a patient who makes a specific threat toward themselves or someone else.

Previously, Jones has said he would not amend SB221 because the background checks and mental health components went hand-in-hand.

Republican Gov. Brian Sandoval has said he would veto SB221 if it wasn’t amended.

Felid`Maximus

Activist Member
Since SB221 was approved, it is up to the governor to veto it.

We need to call the governor and respond on his phone poll, send him an e-mail, write on his facebook, his twitter, etc.

Some links and phone numbers on the Nevada Shooters thread:
http://www.nevadashooters.com/showthread.php?t=42676

Pachinko Pistola said:
URGENT! Contact Governor Brian Sandoval through all means possible and urge him to VETO SB221. ACT NOW!

Call: 775-684-5670 to urge his veto (choose option #2)
E-mail: http://gov.nv.gov/contact/governor/
FAX: 775-684-5683 (if you don't have a fax machine, use http://faxzero.com)
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/BrianSandoval
Twitter: @GovSandoval (include hashtag #SB221)

Last edited:

DVC

City? Who wants to live in a CITY?, Nevada, USA
Just posted this on their email site:

===

Please add my name to the list of those who oppose the bill to force all gun buyers to obtain government permission.

Traditionally, such schemes have been used to deny the right of self-defense to the poor and minorities.

The Reverend Martin Luther King, Jr., is one of those who was turned down, when his family and congregation were getting death threats in 1956.

Over the years, law after law have driven the price of guns up, and the fees of gun dealers who do background checks and transfers will be an added burden on the law-abiding, while having no effect on criminals.

Another effect of this law would be to make criminals of thousands of those who go on vacation, leaving their guns at home, and their home in the care of a neighbor.

With nothing good about the law, and several things bad about it, I will be watching to see if Nevada's governor has the sense to veto.

Being a Libertarian, my vote must be earned. If Republicans are going to act like Democrats, we might as well have the Democrats. At least that way, we would know not to trust them.

No response to this message is necessary -- soon enough, I will have my answer.

Felid`Maximus

Activist Member
Does anyone know what happened with SB 76 (Shoot one gun, carry em all) Did it die?

SB76 passed. The bill will simplify it so you only have to qualify with one gun, but it bans the concealed carry of rifles and shotguns and technically also bans the concealed carry of handguns that are antique firearms under federal law.

The Nevada Sheriffs' and Chiefs' Association pushed hard for the bill because they were afraid of permit holders carrying concealed short barreled shotguns and scary semi-auto rifles.

http://www.leg.state.nv.us/Session/77th2013/Minutes/Senate/JUD/Final/306.pdf

Robert Roshak (Executive Director, Nevada Sheriffs’ and Chiefs’ Association):
We are in total support of S.B. 76. It is a cleanup measure. Where the bill states
that a concealed weapon will be a handgun, it clarifies issues some of the
agencies have encountered. There have been situations where CCW permit
holders have tried to carry legal, shortened versions of a semiautomatic rifle
under their coats, thinking that because their permit says weapon, it includes
their weapons. Making it handgun only clarifies this.

It is hailed as a victory by the NRA but I see it as a compromise at best.

The new law specifically requires that the firearm is a handgun as defined by federal law, whereas previously it just had to fall under the state definitions of semi-automatic firearm or revolver, which included single and double derringers.

On the positive side, your permit will now allow you to carry concealed derringers with more than two barrels, lever action pistols, and bolt action pistols with your permit, so long as they are not defined as antique firearms under federal law.

It is pretty silly that it was so important to the NVSCA to ban concealed carry of guns with a butt stock. I think they want a monopoly on force, which basically means they want us stripped of effective weapons. Police aren't the only ones that wear body armor. The use of body armor is becoming more common among criminals and this trend will continue as armor becomes cheaper and less heavy. If we allow all of the AP options to be taken from us, soon we will find we do not have effective arms any more. I think personally we should be allowed to have the FiveseveN with the original AP ammo, and the ammo should be legal to manufacture and sell.

I bet the NVSCA did not realize that this gun will still be legal to carry concealed:
320px-Kel-Tec_PLR-16.jpg

It'll go through body armor just as easily as the short barreled rifles they are so afraid of.

Also, rifles will still be legal to open carry. It would be interesting if there were a semi-auto rifle open carry protest to the new change.

Last edited:

28kfps

Once again, I want to thank those that have the time and knowledge to track and post breakdowns and explanations of the ever-changing gun issues. A great source of Info when contacting the lawmakers in opposition of the up and coming anti gun laws.