• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

.380 as a defensive caliber?

M

McX

thought about it, threaded it once, and came to the conclusion; just not enough, requiring many. but contemplate it, i am not an expert. i have a thang for .40 and .45. I hear tell you can get some pretty small guns in that category, and still slap the criminal into next week when needed.

Optimus Prime

It's the smallest I would personally use, and only with the right load. That being said, if we ever get concealed carry here, I'm sure I'd get one or two for use as a BUG or days like today when I just don't have enough on to hide something bigger.

CUOfficer

I also have one that I will be carrying during my trip to Florida! I have in IWB holster and it fits comfortably! As for the knockdown power, a well-placed shot will make the difference.

tronson

ill bring it on the 25th. my lcp has become my favorite carry gun. so comfortable and compact.

professor gun

While I prefer the .40 S&W or the .45 ACP, I would in some cases carry a small pistol in .380 if I had one. I do not own one at present but have thought about it.

I would not dismiss it as too small because a .380 in your pocket is better than the .45 back home in your gun safe if you need a gun.

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
opinions? facts?

In whose hands? The characteristics of the shooter is a far greater factor than that of the firearm or ammunition.

.380 may a logical choice for someone who cannot shoot a more powerful round well, or when a very small gun is needed. Although there are trade-offs involved. The tiny .380s have more recoil than a larger and heavier 9mm, so if you go with one of the larger .380's then you have a gun that's comparable in size and weight to many 9mms. If you carry a gun that size, then why not in 9mm? The difference in recoil won't be substantial, in my opinion, when you're comparing .380 and 9mm Makarov-sized guns, like a Glock 19 or CZ-83. If shooting under stress, (i.e., to save your life) you probably won't be aware of recoil anyway. To me, the smallness of many .380 guns is the major attraction to that caliber. Small size is tends to be more of a concealed carry issue. The tiny .380's are nice to carry comfortably and discreetly. I do carry one as a BUG-- at times-- loaded with Winchester Silvertip.

You'll have a much greater selection of ammo in 9mm. And it will be easier to find in any store that sells handgun ammo, whereas not every store will stock .380.

Although I generally prefer my primary handgun and BUG to be of the same caliber and manufacturer-- e.g., Glock23 or G35 with G27 as backup. Same ammo for both guns, the larger Glock mags fit the G27 too, same manual of arms. Even the holsters are interchangeable. Hard to beat that.

So if the unthinkable happened and my Glock stopped working, the BUG is 100% compatible with the ammo and mags from the primary gun. Keeps it simple and efficient.

comp45acp

The first rule of gun fighting is "Have a Gun". I would much rather have a .380 in my hand than an empty hand.
I am going to take a serious look at the new S&W Bodyguard 380 when they get around the gun stores. Very neat little package with an integral laser. Not that it will be carried much as I prefer my .45acp or 9mm but it is a pretty neat little package for those times when very discreet carry is the only socially acceptable option.

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/...57892_757752_757751_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y

tronson

in the hot summer sun its nice to have an easily carryable gun. in my opinion with a good hot .380 load you can defend you life if neccesary. thats based on pure speculation of course.

Digital

pics of the evil little snot rockets?

img0086um.jpg

picture002tk.jpg

copyofpicture0.jpg

Uziel Gal

In defense of what?

Country - Poor
Land - Poor
Others - Fair
Home - Average
Property - Average
Ones Life - Good

I consider this rating to be highly subjective but also fair and balanced in the hands of a skilled shooter. I have owned .380 semiautomatic handguns and handguns of even smaller calibers and feel relatively secure in my ability to defend myself and my home against most standard threats with them. That said as a defensive handgun increases in size and caliber up to certain levels it will provide better ratings across the board. Considering that unless you have a need for a handgun bordering on almost, or being, too small there are many great options in larger calibers. You can also now purchase handguns in larger calibers that are similar in size and weight to earlier .380 handguns if that is a real priority. I know some people that are just enamored by small handguns. I think that is quite understandable and I find nothing wrong with having such a fascination. I also think pocket computer phones, mini-cameras, and mp3 players are neat but I wouldn't try to use them as desktop supercomputers, large format photography, and public address systems.

If you are considering a small .380 for ease of carry or appearance and it will be your only or your first defensive handgun, then it is in my opinion a very poor defensive round and a foolish choice in that circumstance. Some of these small guns have a limited lifespan of how much ammo should be shot through them. They are all difficult to learn basic shooting skills on, have poor sights if any sights at all, substantial recoil and muzzle flip, difficult triggers, expensive ammunition hindering adequate range experience, and take a extremely skilled shooter to put into action effectively. Even a skilled rifle or shotgun shooter has no business trying to learn the skills necessary to deploy a defensive handgun with a small .380 handgun.

You should want to learn with a full sized or semi-compact handgun and once you are skilled you can consider your need for a smaller, lighter, more convenient handgun. To deploy such a gun would only make a .380 a dangerous caliber for everything around your intended target and become a liability to you and those around you. I don't know what your situation is but I hope this helps any one who thinks that handguns are like gadgets and smaller is better. You are being mislead in the most dangerous of ways.

GlockMeisterG21

Campaign Veteran
I like my Walther PPK/S .380 acp. With a good holster (like mine, see below) it just disappears. Is it adequate for self-defense? Only you can answer that. I'm confidant enough that I'm comfortable carrying it but I'd still rather have my .45 in a fight. I load mine with either MagSafe or Hydra-shoks.

2010-05-28001204.jpg

goforlow

I carry a KelTec P32 (32 ACP), as a BUG. This round it smaller than the 380, but some reviews show it has better penetration than the 380.

Yes, I would trust my life to this gun. If I didn't, I wouldn't carry it! It has gone "bang" every time I pulled the trigger, and that is about 250 times so far. And, I got the gun for under $250.

Check out this site: http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot26.htm
Lots of other good info also.