• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

50cal AK47s

Aknazer

Sorry yes, I guess I should have given more info than just the relevant part to this post since the article isn't about the gun. In testing the flat-proof tires they ran it through military-grade tests which part of that testing was shooting it with the "50cal AK47." Apparently after the tests like being shot and driven on the "NPTs" (non-pnuematic tires) worked effectively while the standard tires ended up with 3 flats across two ATVs.

The quoted part is 50-75% down the article I believe.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Sorry yes, I guess I should have given more info than just the relevant part to this post since the article isn't about the gun. In testing the flat-proof tires they ran it through military-grade tests which part of that testing was shooting it with the "50cal AK47." Apparently after the tests like being shot and driven on the "NPTs" (non-pnuematic tires) worked effectively while the standard tires ended up with 3 flats across two ATVs.

The quoted part is 50-75% down the article I believe.

My bad - I didn't read far enough down.

Good example of where a Fair Use Quote would have helped:

To make sure the NPT can withstand long-term abuse, it was put through military-grade testing. Engineers shot test tires with 50-caliber rounds from an AK-47 and then subjected them to 5,000 hours of off-roading.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2013...-proof-airless-tires-next-year/#ixzz2Mp1LBHPu

BTW - had to look it up as I'd never heard of the beast & now we are into long gun limitations on OCDO, though this thread is about tires.....not LG. : )
http://www.militaryfirearm.com/Forum/showthread.php?22593-AK-47-50-cal

Last edited:

Aknazer

Ya, that's actually what Grapeshot linked too, just from a different forum.

Though those weapons aren't actual AK47s even though they have the iconic look. Which was where I was going with it in regards to another incident of the media having no clue what they're talking about. Either it's an AK47 that shoots 7.62x39 or it's a 6P62/KPB-12.7 gun. Though the airless tire is pretty cool.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
Ya, that's actually what Grapeshot linked too, just from a different forum.

Though those weapons aren't actual AK47s even though they have the iconic look. Which was where I was going with it in regards to another incident of the media having no clue what they're talking about. Either it's an AK47 that shoots 7.62x39 or it's a 6P62/KPB-12.7 gun. Though the airless tire is pretty cool.

Oh yeah, I didn't even notice that link.

But yeah, most people's gun ignorance is an endless source of entertainment. Most people seem to think jumping over hay bales is something gun owners probably do on a regular basis.

OC for ME

I typically sit on hay bales, around a fire pit.....with a mason jar in one hand. Not inclined to jump over a hay bale, especially after having been holding a mason jar in one hand.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I typically sit on hay bales, around a fire pit.....with a mason jar in one hand. Not inclined to jump over a hay bale, especially after having been holding a mason jar in one hand.

Under the circumstances, I would prefer a less flammable place to sit while holding an accelerant. :p

WalkingWolf

Going to check my mason jar inventory, I better not be missing any! :cuss: