• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

AB 144: Open Carry Ban (Here we go again.)

Pace

I haven't seen any big 2A cases regarding CARRY. McDonald vs. Chi was perfect for in the house, but what about carry?

I think that if they pass this law, we'll have to do a real lawsuit against California since there is no option to carry a gun then.

If it passes, we all just need to buy a hunting license, and a coyote call....

Officer, I was just out hunting coyotes and I'm now transporting my firearm on my return trip home.

26366. Section 26350 does not apply to, or affect, the open
carrying of an unloaded handgun by a licensed hunter while engaged in
hunting or while transporting that handgun when going to or
returning from that hunting expedition.

KS_to_CA

hgreen

For those who think AB144 will be a win for 2A rights.

How long did it take from the time Chicago implemented their gun ban to McDonald being decided at SCOTUS? It was over a year from the time the appeals court ruled against McDonald until SCOTUS made their decision.

Assuming AB144 is passed...

How many years will law abiding CA citizens (the vast majority of whom live in urban areas where CCW permits are virtually unattainable) have to go about their daily routines completely unarmed or LUCC (which is as good as unarmed for most situations)?

How many crimes, injuries, and lives may be lost during that time as a result of people not being able to UOC and have that strong visible deterrent to crime?

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
How many years will law abiding CA citizens (the vast majority of whom live in urban areas where CCW permits are virtually unattainable) have to go about their daily routines completely unarmed or LUCC (which is as good as unarmed for most situations)?

How many crimes, injuries, and lives may be lost during that time as a result of people not being able to UOC and have that strong visible deterrent to crime?

Some of this commentary is predicated upon the supposition that AB144 spells the end of open carry as we know it. While it changes the game somewhat, it by no means ends open carry. This legislation addresses only unloaded handguns.

While I do not think AB144 is beneficial to the right to keep and bear arms (or to the advancement of CCW), the ever tighening noose of California gun regulation can create some interesting side effects that benefit those who are inclined to assert their liberties affecting existing and more conspicously unConstitutional law.

xmattedgex

Some of this commentary is predicated upon the supposition that AB144 spells the end of open carry as we know it. While it changes the game somewhat, it by no means ends open carry. This legislation addresses only unloaded handguns.

Though this may be true. I really don't think there is going to be too many people carrying unloaded rifles around.

Pace

No one thinks its a win short term, or thinks that they want these type of things. Heck, if I have to move to CA, I'm not thrilled at all. However, there is often long term strategies.

For those who think AB144 will be a win for 2A rights.

How long did it take from the time Chicago implemented their gun ban to McDonald being decided at SCOTUS? It was over a year from the time the appeals court ruled against McDonald until SCOTUS made their decision.

Assuming AB144 is passed...

hgreen

You think LEOs are ignorant of the law and violate your rights now with UOC of handguns...

Can't wait to see how they behave when they hear UOC is banned and see folks open carrying long guns...

I don't think the law abiding citizen will fair well, unfortunately.

xmattedgex

You think LEOs are ignorant of the law and violate your rights now with UOC of handguns...

Can't wait to see how they behave when they hear UOC is banned and see folks open carrying long guns...

I don't think the law abiding citizen will fair well, unfortunately.

Not at all good sir, not at all.

xmattedgex

You sure can, in unincorporated areas with a population less than 200,000 and away from buildings and roads. :p

Ok so we can't carry loaded pretty much anywhere in southern California or at least any where near where I live

bigtoe416

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
Eh? What does discharging a gun have to do with it being loaded?

In California you can carry loaded in unincorporated territory as long as discharge is not prohibited by local regulations. If a county prohibits the discharge of firearms within certain areas (which is fairly common), then you cannot carry loaded in those locations.