• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

AB1527, Long Gun OC Hearing Only Days Away

Save Our State

Just to remind everyone, the next committee meeting for portantino's long gun carry ban is on June 26th at the state capitol. This is a chance to stop the bill before it gets to the senate floor. As I mentioned before, I'll be at the meeting. If you have ideas to present, and cannot make the hearing, you can offer them here too, and I might work it in

carracer

Snowed two feet here yesterday. All the roads leading here are closed and no eta of reopening. The fish have all died in the waters and the wolves ran off all the deer, elk and moose before they left.

I suggest looking at Oregon. I think the Ducks need some help.

Save Our State

Actually it does. You requested ideas. My idea is to move to another state.

Showing up to try to convince Portantino to stop his gun control quest is futile.

Good luck though !!!
Portantino doesn't get a vote in this committee, so we aren't going to try and convince him. Do you need some links to teach you how bills work there way through the state house?

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
Doesn't have a thing to do with this thread

Completely correct.

Actually it does. You requested ideas. My idea is to move to another state.

Showing up to try to convince Portantino to stop his gun control quest is futile.

Good luck though !!!

As someone who has retreated from the state, you are no longer a constituent with a vested interest in how things are run here. You have chosen to puss out and run away from where the fight is, so you can pursue easy liberty and rub other people's noses in it. If the whole of your suggestion is to imitate your cowardace by fleeing the state where the problem lies, then it makes me wonder just what strategy you believe the revolutionary colonials used to win our independence.

It is only by stubborn resolve and a lifetime of dedicated service to this cause, that will make us free once again. If we do not stand for our principles where we are, then we will be allowing tyrannical forces to have a beachhead where they may impose their will upon people who by right, ought to be free. Let it be remembered that you abandoned your bretheren in the hour of their need, so you could mock their condition of servitude from the safety of a 'free state'.

Last edited:

acmariner99

Completely correct.

As someone who has retreated from the state, you are no longer a constituent with a vested interest in how things are run here. You have chosen to puss out and run away from where the fight is, so you can pursue easy liberty and rub other people's noses in it. If the whole of your suggestion is to imitate your cowardace by fleeing the state where the problem lies, then it makes me wonder just what strategy you believe the revolutionary colonials used to win our independence.

It is only by stubborn resolve and a lifetime of dedicated service to this cause, that will make us free once again. If we do not stand for our principles where we are, then we will be allowing tyrannical forces to have a beachhead where they may impose their will upon people who by right, ought to be free. Let it be remembered that you abandoned your bretheren in the hour of their need, so you could mock their condition of servitude from the safety of a 'free state'.

By that logic, our forefathers should have never left England to escape religious persecution nor should we have declared independence so we could have kept fighting the good fight by negotiation with our leaders in order to break their strings of oppressive acts. Sometimes, in order to secure a better future for ourselves and our descendents we have to go someplace where those values which we hold dear are nourished and upheld. Kudos for keeping up the good fight, but there is a point when you have to realize you are fighting for a lost cause. I honestly do not expect California to change its ways -- I am not slighting your efforts to prevent them but the number of people in Sacramento who support these kinds of knee jerk laws is mind boggling. At what point do we say enough is enough?

Save Our State

By that logic, our forefathers should have never left England to escape religious persecution nor should we have declared independence so we could have kept fighting the good fight by negotiation with our leaders in order to break their strings of oppressive acts. Sometimes, in order to secure a better future for ourselves and our descendents we have to go someplace where those values which we hold dear are nourished and upheld. Kudos for keeping up the good fight, but there is a point when you have to realize you are fighting for a lost cause. I honestly do not expect California to change its ways -- I am not slighting your efforts to prevent them but the number of people in Sacramento who support these kinds of knee jerk laws is mind boggling. At what point do we say enough is enough?

I think you may have your timeline a bit confused. The early pilgrims were the ones who set out to escape religious persecution. they were not really our forefathers in the constitution. Most of those that signed the declaration and fought in the war against britian were native born to this continent. Some were born in GB, but came here seeking opportunity, not escape per se. In any case, plymouth rock and lexington green were generations apart, with different forces driving them

Ca Patriot

The founding fathers also made STATES and states rights so if you didnt like one state and their laws you could MOVE to another state that suited you better.

It is really childish for you to continue with the lame personal assaults on me for moving to another state. You have been doing it for awhile now and maybe you havent noticed but I take no shame in leaving and I have NO regrets. I do however have alot more money due to lower taxes and cost of living and I have ALOT more freedoms and liberties (in addition to a CCW).

Maybe you are just scared to leave and move on in life and experience new things and grow as a person. Its a big world out there and not everyone can handle it. Maybe thats why you stay.

Maybe you like being a subject and begging those in power to make your life better. Maybe you dont know how to make your life better yourself so you just sit back and blame politicians and assault those who actually have the balls to make life better for themselves and their family.

Either way, you are a failure because you are losing every gun rights battle and you are losing your money and freedoms every day.

Me and people like me are winning because we have courage to leave and improve our lives.

Save Our State

The founding fathers also made STATES and states rights so if you didnt like one state and their laws you could MOVE to another state that suited you better.

It is really childish for you to continue with the lame personal assaults on me for moving to another state. You have been doing it for awhile now and maybe you havent noticed but I take no shame in leaving and I have NO regrets. I do however have alot more money due to lower taxes and cost of living and I have ALOT more freedoms and liberties (in addition to a CCW).

Maybe you are just scared to leave and move on in life and experience new things and grow as a person. Its a big world out there and not everyone can handle it. Maybe thats why you stay.

Maybe you like being a subject and begging those in power to make your life better. Maybe you dont know how to make your life better yourself so you just sit back and blame politicians and assault those who actually have the balls to make life better for themselves and their family.

Either way, you are a failure because you are losing every gun rights battle and you are losing your money and freedoms every day.

Me and people like me are winning because we have courage to leave and improve our lives.

No need to convince me anymore. You're smart, brave, and bold. But we are Californians, and we choose to stay. Can you just accept that from us?

ConditionThree

State Pioneer

Our founding fathers and the pilgrim settlers are seperated by two generations (140 years). Independence was fought for not by new settlers, but by people who were born and raised here. But in spite of this oversight, I do believe those who were oppressed probably should have fought for what was their right in the place where they were born, lived and died. It would be an interesting outcome particularly for me, as a direct decendant of William Bradford. Had he defended his right to worship instead of casting all his hope in a new unknown land, I may have never come to be or a subject of another nation.

This isnt personal. It isnt personal because neither of us knows much, if anything about the other. You make it personal because you are threatened by someone simply stating that what worked for you, isnt for everyone. By coming to the California forum and repeatedly offering your advice to leave the state is not helpful for people who want to continue to partcipate in the political process. This was unwanted advice. Your persistance in defending your position, even after being rebuked for the off topic contribution only suggests how narcissistic and self centered you appear to be.

If you believe you have 'won' anything without fighting for it or 'improved things' without having made personal sacrifices beyond packing all your belongings and hauling them to a new home, you may as well pat yourself on the back for being fit and cognizant enough to consume air and groceries without the assistance of a hospice care institution. Regardless of what you believe about places like California (and Illinois and Maryland and New York-) this is where the battle for our right to keep and bear arms will be played out. This is where the heavy lifting must occur in order to ensure that all Americans will have the ability to possess and carry weapons for defense, not in the short term but in the generations to come.

What we must be able to tell our decendants, is what we did to ensure their liberty- I for one, will not be one of those that tells them that I hadnt the strength of conviction to stay in the community where I was born. That I had no desire to oppose tyranny imposed upon me. That easy liberty is as sweet as liberty that was bled for.

Victory isnt in grasping the low fruit and heroes are not found in the mundane; they are revealed in the tireless struggle against unequal forces.

Statkowski

Cherry Tree (Indiana County), Pennsylvania, USA
So, it looks like you're already essentially prohibited from concealed carry of handguns since they won't issue such licenses, you're now prohibited from open carry of handguns (loaded or unloaded), and now you'll be prohibited from open carry of rifles and shotguns.

The only thing left is to concealed carry rifles and shotguns. Yes?

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
So, it looks like you're already essentially prohibited from concealed carry of handguns since they won't issue such licenses, you're now prohibited from open carry of handguns (loaded or unloaded), and now you'll be prohibited from open carry of rifles and shotguns.

Not quite.

Open carry of loaded firearms is still legal in unincorporated areas where discharge is not prohibited by local ordinance.

Other than that, what will remain is locked cased transportation.

Statkowski

Cherry Tree (Indiana County), Pennsylvania, USA
Open carry of loaded firearms is still legal in unincorporated areas where discharge is not prohibited by local ordinance.
Which is where, fourteen miles north of Tehachapi?

In much of the state you are prohibited from carrying a loaded firearm, essentially anywhere people are living.

Is there a map showing where you can or can't carry?

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
Which is where, fourteen miles north of Tehachapi?

In much of the state you are prohibited from carrying a loaded firearm, essentially anywhere people are living.

Is there a map showing where you can or can't carry?

No. And I dont believe one is forthcoming, since some find that maps (particularly in regards to establishing where schoolzones are) are still a liability.

There is another project that I have been contemplating that would speak to this though.

Felid`Maximus

Activist Member

Unfortunately AB1527 goes beyond banning open carry of rifles and shotguns. It also bans concealed carry of rifles and shotguns because it does not specify open carry, and it severely limits transportation to specific enumerated options.

AB1527 prohibitive clause
26400. (a) A person is guilty of carrying an unloaded firearm
that is not a handgun in an incorporated city or city and county when
that person carries upon his or her person an unloaded firearm that
is not a handgun outside a vehicle while in the incorporated city or
city and county.

That is even more restrictive than with handguns. I believe in most places in California you could technically open carry an unloaded handgun in a locked container, (good luck finding such a container that is both not concealing and secure... it could be made of acrylic,) but the exception for long guns in locked containers still requires transport to specific enumerated locations.

AB1527 locked container exception
(c) When the firearm is either in a locked container or encased
and it is being transported directly between places where a person is
not prohibited from possessing that firearm and the course of travel
shall include only those deviations between authorized locations as
are reasonably necessary under the circumstances.

Current law on 26350 ( UOC of handgun ban ) locked container exception.
26389. Section 26350 does not apply to, or affect, the carrying of
an unloaded handgun if the handgun is carried either in the locked
trunk of a motor vehicle or in a locked container.

Of course concealed carry of a handgun in a locked container requires a specific enumerated list of legit transport locations just like long guns will after AB1527, but the law is silent on open carry of a handgun in a locked container. The "to or from a vehicle" option is potentially much broader.

Exception to 25400 (old 12025) for locked containers
25610. (a) Section 25400 shall not be construed to prohibit any
citizen of the United States over the age of 18 years who resides or
is temporarily within this state, and who is not prohibited by state
or federal law from possessing, receiving, owning, or purchasing a
firearm, from transporting or carrying any pistol, revolver, or other
firearm capable of being concealed upon the person, provided that
the following applies to the firearm:
(1) The firearm is within a motor vehicle and it is locked in the
vehicle's trunk or in a locked container in the vehicle.
(2) The firearm is carried by the person directly to or from any
motor vehicle for any lawful purpose and, while carrying the firearm,
the firearm is contained within a locked container.
(b) The provisions of this section do not prohibit or limit the
otherwise lawful carrying or transportation of any pistol, revolver,
or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person in
accordance with the provisions listed in Section 16580.

As for loaded open carry, if discharge of firearms is allowed, so is loaded open carry, that is the rule of thumb I would use to determine whether loaded open carry is allowed. It might be a little more complicated than that.

Last edited: